Cash refused

mikebell

I loved seeing russians on their holidays at the 7/11s taking beer from the fridge in afternoon prohibition hours then slapping the exact cash money on the counter & walking out the doors with their well earnt cold nectar under their arms.

You can't do that with cards & phone apps.

• Haha 2

the problem with paying by card in thailand is there seems to be so much faffing around, inputting numbers, it often takes longer to pay by card than simply hand over cash.

went to a coffee shop that refused cash, that's the only cashless experience i've had. strange business model for a business relying on relatively small transactional amounts.

most places accept contactless in the uk, but all also accept cash. there will always be a place for payment in cash.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 3:22 PM, bbko said:

Inflexible people will have hard times in the current ever changing environment.

I remember a power blackout here last summer at the local (large) supermarket.

No electricity, no ATM's working nor card swiping terminals for payment....

The credit card paying customers were left standing there with a trolley full of shopping..  those paying cash (with the correct money  -  ME! ) paid and departed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Nothing to do with banks. Carrying Several. The day the AMEX and Visa networks are simultaneously down there will be problems and If power goes out stores will be closed. Cash is a ludicrous anachronism.

Easier than carrying around mangoes, pineapples and jack fruit to barter with...... better for a women, with the built in moneymaker!

4 hours ago, it is what it is said:

the problem with paying by card in thailand is there seems to be so much faffing around, inputting numbers, it often takes longer to pay by card than simply hand over cash.

went to a coffee shop that refused cash, that's the only cashless experience i've had. strange business model for a business relying on relatively small transactional amounts.

most places accept contactless in the uk, but all also accept cash. there will always be a place for payment in cash.

Unfortunately you are wrong there. On a recent trip back to the UK, several well known coffee chains turned me away because I only had cash and I hadn't yet received my new bank cards. Cashless is becoming more prevalent in the UK. once I had the cards, it was quite easy to 'Tap and Go'. I still prefer cash though.

What I do find handy here is the Prompt Pay facility on my phone where one scans a QR code to make payment. Saved me a couple of times when I have got to the supermarket check out and discovered that I had left my wallet at home.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Unfortunately you are wrong there. On a recent trip back to the UK

No he  isn't, you are. He specifically said Thailand! Everyone who goes shopping here sees the time it can take to use cards and cash sails through. Tap and Go is not widespread.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No he  isn't, you are. He specifically said Thailand! Everyone who goes shopping here sees the time it can take to use cards and cash sails through. Tap and Go is not widespread.

Sorry for not being clearer, but I was replying to the above  part of his /her post in bold.

I also stated that I still prefer cash, so you won't get any argument from me on that score.

Edited by phetphet

12 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Sorry for not being clearer, but I was replying to the above  part of his /her post in bold.

I loved the tap and go facility in the UK.... so painless, quick. Although iIIRC it was for smaller amounts, like a coffee or quick visit to Asda. Would not have the slightest problem with using that in Thailand. But at the moment it seems they always want some ID number or loyalty card. So payments by card are slow in Thailand, certainly no better than the ladies who never get their purse out until the last minute, (fumbling with the phone in the other hand) and those that fidget for baht coins. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I loved the tap and go facility in the IK.... so painless, quick. Although iIIRC it was for smaller amounts, like a coffee or quick visit to Asda. Would not have the slightest problem with using that in Thailand. But at the moment it seems they always want some ID number or loyalty card. So payments by card are slow in Thailand, certainly no better than the ladies who never get their purse out until the last minute, (fumbling with the phone in the other hand) and those that fidget for baht coins. 

The UK recently increased the limit of "Tap and Go". I believe to £100.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, Captain Monday said:

In 10 years or so nobody will be passing dirty notes or "renumerating with metallic tender discs"

Cash will be banned.

Good riddance. 

Norway considered going cashless to try and stop the huge black economy in the country .

I know of many men that are forced to work black that owe child support fees . 

Individuals wanting to avoid 25 percent VAT on goods and services and maybe earned the money black anyway .

The consideration never past first base 

Cash will be around for a long time yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Easier than carrying around mangoes, pineapples and jack fruit to barter with...... better for a women, with the built in moneymaker!

Did you try to swipe your card thru the "build in money maker" ?...... card could also become infected / dirty with.....

????

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That was an investment scam by a single bank employee. 

Its not the same as using your Bank Card to make a payment at a hotel.....   

Well, if you want to discuss convenience.... It would appear the Op was inconvenienced quite a lot by his reluctance to pay by card....  

I understand your point about convenience - but that always swings to being prepared to use the ‘alternative option’ when things evolve or change. 

I recently paid 122 baht by Bank Card at a 7-11 because paying with a 1000 baht note seemed inconvenient. 

The idea of convenience is being prepared for either option. 

There wasn't an option; it was give us your bank details or you are denied entry.  The investment scam was by an employee with access to customers' details.  I preferred to keep my details from hotel staff; just like  I'd have preferred to have kept my phone number out of the hands of salesmen but TIT.

5 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

I remember a power blackout here last summer at the local (large) supermarket.

No electricity, no ATM's working nor card swiping terminals for payment....

The credit card paying customers were left standing there with a trolley full of shopping..  those paying cash (with the correct money  -  ME! ) paid and departed.

Large supermarket like Big C or Tesco?  Their cash registers need electricity to scan the product bar codes and add up the total cost, or did the workers run back and forth between the isles collecting the prices on your trolley filled cart and add them up manually?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bbko said:

Large supermarket like Big C or Tesco?  Their cash registers need electricity to scan the product bar codes and add up the total cost, or did the workers run back and forth between the isles collecting the prices on your trolley filled cart and add them up manually?

I would imagine many have backup generators for use in mergecies, such as keeping freezers/coolroom and registers and emergency lighting operating

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

You're really got it confused, Mate.   This is about an individuals use of a hotel's sports facility and it doesn't involve staying at the hotel or 4 people.

"I did not stay there for 15 years but have been using their excellent sports facilities 4 times a week @ 200 baht a pop = 800 lost." 

Eyes on the bouncing ball please..

You seem to be the one who needs to keep an eye on the ball.

200 x 4 is 800 baht per week, times say 50 weeks equals 40,000 baht per person per year. You cannot play table tennis on your own so that is 80,000 for 2 people per year.

Please point out where I said that the poster was staying at the hotel!

4 people are equal to 2 pairs of 2 people.

Eyes on the bouncing ball please..

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

There wasn't an option; it was give us your bank details or you are denied entry.  The investment scam was by an employee with access to customers' details.  I preferred to keep my details from hotel staff; just like  I'd have preferred to have kept my phone number out of the hands of salesmen but TIT.

You have ‘exaggerated’ the investment scam and made it appear that the Kasikorn Bank employee stole from the accounts of victims who had no idea. This is not the case. 

The Kasiokorn Bank Employee offered his victims a specific ‘deal’ on a account with an impressive return of interested - the victims were led to be believe they were making an investment outside of their existing account (if they had existing accounts). 

------

You mentioned that the Hotel Staff Member asked you to ‘Give him your bank details’ ??

Do you mean he asked for your account number or Card Details including security code ??? or did he ask that you pay by Bank Card at a Card Machine ???

IF its a member of the hotel staff asking for your Credit Card details or Bank Details, including expiry date and security code - then of course, thats quite dodgy. 

It definitely seems that the member of hotel staff acted very poorly. Its not uncommon here to have very poorly trained staff who are unable to effectively communicate and become agitated when ‘demands’ aren’t met. 

5 hours ago, itsari said:

Norway considered going cashless to try and stop the huge black economy in the country .

I know of many men that are forced to work black that owe child support fees . 

Individuals wanting to avoid 25 percent VAT on goods and services and maybe earned the money black anyway .

The consideration never past first base 

Cash will be around for a long time yet.

Why work for black cash if you could not use it?

Anybody employing labour under the table should face heavy fines. Coddling them in the country clubs that pass for Norway jails there might not do any good.  There will always be deadbeat dads, tax evaders, and crims. Banning cash would help 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Why work for black cash if you could not use it?

Anybody employing labour under the table should face heavy fines. Coddling them in the country clubs that pass for Norway jails there might not do any good.  There will always be deadbeat dads, tax evaders, and crims. Banning cash would help 

Has to do with totalitarian rule.

Maybe correct but not right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

Has to do with totalitarian rule.

Maybe correct but not right.

In my country US if they eliminated illegal work agriculture, food processing and even construction and other industries would collapse. Everyone knows what goes on even right-wing politicians who blame Illegal aliens for everything.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Banning cash would just push more people onto crypto currency. 

How do you ban crypto currency?  

You can try to ban crypto. It wont work, You can only pass laws, criminals don't follow. 

All the major countries will roll out there own digital, not speculative like a cypto but a secure digital replacement for what you now fold up and put in your pocket. Covered in blood, feces, cocaine and gunpowder residue. Big retail will love it and currency is costly  to produce and handle. 

Imagine if it was announced the greenback would be abolished in 36 months you have until then to exchange it for eDollars? Of course you will have to prove where it came from! 

45 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

You can try to ban crypto. It wont work, You can only pass laws, criminals don't follow. 

All the major countries will roll out there own digital, not speculative like a cypto but a secure digital replacement for what you now fold up and put in your pocket. Covered in blood, feces, cocaine and gunpowder residue. Big retail will love it and currency is costly  to produce and handle. 

Imagine if it was announced the greenback would be abolished in 36 months you have until then to exchange it for eDollars? Of course you will have to prove where it came from! 

I like what India done a few years ago.  They swapped out their biggest notes.  If you had a lot of them, and wanted to exchange them, it's a please explain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Indian_banknote_demonetisation

New laws that turn law abiding citizens into criminals, over night, will fail.  In any case, as you say, you can't ban crypto, unless you take the country off the internet grid.  

As manufactures, wholesalers, retailers, and consumers start to get onboard with crypto, banks, and central banks, including visa and mastercard, the middlemen, will be cut out of transactions.  

Governments around the world will try to sell to their citizens that their war on crypto is about stopping the financing of terrorism and drug trafficking, but the generation coming through, who are crypto savvy, will not accept this as a reason to ban crypto, and it will continue to flourish.  

31 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I like what India done a few years ago.  They swapped out their biggest notes.  If you had a lot of them, and wanted to exchange them, it's a please explain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Indian_banknote_demonetisation

New laws that turn law abiding citizens into criminals, over night, will fail.  In any case, as you say, you can't ban crypto, unless you take the country off the internet grid.  

As manufactures, wholesalers, retailers, and consumers start to get onboard with crypto, banks, and central banks, including visa and mastercard, the middlemen, will be cut out of transactions.  

Governments around the world will try to sell to their citizens that their war on crypto is about stopping the financing of terrorism and drug trafficking, but the generation coming through, who are crypto savvy, will not accept this as a reason to ban crypto, and it will continue to flourish.  

I didn't know India's demonetization turned into such a trainwreck. 

9 hours ago, phetphet said:

The UK recently increased the limit of "Tap and Go". I believe to £100.

Not quite as simple as that.

Retailers say it could take months to update terminals before every shopper can spend up to £100, without the need to enter a four-digit Pin.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58898474

and the ability to control it is variable.

The change, which came in following a public consultation and after discussions between the Treasury and the financial regulator, will be good news for many but some will want to set their own cap on the back of concerns over theft.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/09/how-to-set-a-cap-on-your-contactless-limit-if-you-want-to-avoid-/

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have ‘exaggerated’ the investment scam and made it appear that the Kasikorn Bank employee stole from the accounts of victims who had no idea. This is not the case. 

The Kasiokorn Bank Employee offered his victims a specific ‘deal’ on a account with an impressive return of interested - the victims were led to be believe they were making an investment outside of their existing account (if they had existing accounts). 

------

You mentioned that the Hotel Staff Member asked you to ‘Give him your bank details’ ??

Do you mean he asked for your account number or Card Details including security code ??? or did he ask that you pay by Bank Card at a Card Machine ???

IF its a member of the hotel staff asking for your Credit Card details or Bank Details, including expiry date and security code - then of course, thats quite dodgy. 

It definitely seems that the member of hotel staff acted very poorly. Its not uncommon here to have very poorly trained staff who are unable to effectively communicate and become agitated when ‘demands’ aren’t met. 

I do not have much faith in Thai banks & agree the K bank scandal was the work of a dishonest employee which reflects badly on the good name of the bank.  I have had other unfortunate problems with bogus ATM withdrawals from my BKK bank account so I accept I am wary.  The staff member said from tomorrow only a bank card can be used.  (This order has now been rescinded after my complaints to Head Office.)  I asked myself why cash was no longer acceptable & the only reason I could think of was that all the money collected was not being declared.

• Confused 1