Cash refused

mikebell

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

That quite possibly is the most stupid thing you have ever said since I have been a member here.

I would reply with some witty or defiant remark, if I did not believe in what I said as strongly as I do. And I now double down on it. Let men be men! 

On 1/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, sandyf said:

I was in the UK a few months back and a multitude of entities were refusing to accept cash, airlines have been doing it for years.

It is a controversial issue, my understanding is you have the right to settle a debt in cash but a seller has the right to sell and the debt is yet to be established.

In simple terms it all depends on if you have already obtained the goods or services.

And right now for good health reasons nobody wants to touch cash, either to pay or to receive change.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

How do any of those tell a business that you have cash in your bank account to pay for something when the banks systems are down?

How many of them are you carrying at the moment?

Nothing to do with banks. Carrying Several. The day the AMEX and Visa networks are simultaneously down there will be problems and If power goes out stores will be closed. Cash is a ludicrous anachronism.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, david555 said:

It go as silly that the digitals wish to cancel cash ...while the normal thing is to let exist both besides each other ....even not needed 50/ 50 ...but let a choise ....

so far my understanding solution not being silly ....but seems the digital ones like to exterminate cash ......to resist on that we (partly) cash liking ones should keep using it when possible to avoid to become " full digitalized " 

Let each his choice ....i use cards when I like and cash also when I like .... not like to be forced .....

I agree.....  There is no need to eradicate cash.

But, if vendors wish not to accept cash I have no issue with that, thats their choice. 

Deliberately inconveniencing myself because I object to digital payment methods is just a little bit too silly.

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And right now for good health reasons nobody wants to touch cash, either to pay or to receive change.

The only reason I have a preference for digital payment methods is convenience. 

One other poster mentioned ‘real men’ carrying 20,000 baht around in their wallet....  a rather daft comment IMO. 

I much prefer thin tiny wallet....  as little change as possible (maybe a 1000 note for emergency) and pay everything with either Credit / BankCard or PromptPay / M-Banking.

It would be even simpler if the ‘tap n go’ worked properly in Thailand....  

I’ve already done away with house keys (have digital locks), I’d be happy when I can do away with my wallet and the phone I carry around does everything I need. 

(someone is bound to point out ‘what happens if I lose my phone’ - the same as if I lose my wallet !)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

The fact is that paper money and coins are dirty. We don't know where they've been...

And they smell.

Drugs, blood, stuffed in some strippers g-string and carrying faeces.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-exactly-how-often-cocaine-and-feces-show-up-on-your-dollar-bills-2017-07-11

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What banking scandals ?? (forget the Kasikorn investment scam - thats unrelated to paying by card).

Are you not creating your own paranoia out of not wanting to do something slightly differently ?

It shouldn’t, but it does often surprise me how some create their own barriers to convenience out of stubbornness more than anything else. 

A group of farangs were scammed by a local Bangkok Bank employee & lost lots of money.  It is not paranoid to think this could happen to you.  I did something slightly different aged 63 and came to live near my son (16 years ago) so I am not resistant to change.  What is more convenient than handing a 100 baht note to the cashier or producing a bank card from my wallet & have her scan it?

27 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

And they smell.

Drugs, blood, stuffed in some strippers g-string and carrying faeces.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-exactly-how-often-cocaine-and-feces-show-up-on-your-dollar-bills-2017-07-11

So do never go see behind restaurants and other food preparation places if all go clean  ( hopefully..????) .your example can be used for many ..many other items or places .....contamination is everywhere.....as a fact it keeps our natural defence alerted....

Complete sterile for a certain time in isolation would bring us in danger when back in a before society .

30 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Could the OP consider trying tiddlywinks. HETW promotes good health and cheeriness.

Could you elucidate?  I don't understand.  Searched Google in vain - 'Found 1 word that starts with hetw.'  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

A group of farangs were scammed by a local Bangkok Bank employee & lost lots of money.  It is not paranoid to think this could happen to you.  I did something slightly different aged 63 and came to live near my son (16 years ago) so I am not resistant to change.  What is more convenient than handing a 100 baht note to the cashier or producing a bank card from my wallet & have her scan it?

I had once in Tesco a cashier using light plastic hand protection ....so problem solved by her to accept bills ????

1 minute ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Yes, excellent to see that Thailand is moving away from cash.  

The digital nomad society find that  "Nerdy "  probably attract them to become costomers there ????

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Nothing to do with banks. Carrying Several. The day the AMEX and Visa networks are simultaneously down there will be problems and If power goes out stores will be closed. Cash is a ludicrous anachronism.

If you wish to rely 100% on systems which run electronically which have already been shown to not be 100% always online, then your choice. Agree to disagree.

I prefer to have the convenience of using cash, internet and mobile banking. Easy and convenient for me to transfer money electronically to Thailand, buy things online, and pay bills.

But when those systems go down, or the power goes out, everyone will still accept cash, and I feel much more comfortable having it in my pocket.

Here in Samui, we often have power outages and staff in 7-11 are often reduced to writing sales down on paper. Try using all your cards then.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This conversation is getting downright silly...

Digital payment (QR Codes, PromptPay, ApplePay, LinePay, Rabbit Pay, Debit, Credit Cards etc) or cash are both convenient - IF someone is objecting to the use of one or the other they are simply putting up obstacles in way of their own convenience. 

Not really. It is fine if you live in a big city but rural Thailand where millions of people live it simply doesn't work everywhere. For example I may go into the village on my wat home from taking the kids to school and buy 20 thb worth of patongo, or my wife may visit 5 or more stalls at the market. Few if any traders use anything other than cash and generally no receipts are given.

Sure 7/11, gas stations, BigC, Makro etc accept cards, but I pay in cash because I know how much cash I have on me and it saves the embarrassment of finding out that I haven't got as much money as I thought. 

When my wife goes to the markets or shopping she tells me how much she wants and takes it out of the cash box, or if I am not there she will tell me when she sees me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:
8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What banking scandals ?? (forget the Kasikorn investment scam - thats unrelated to paying by card).

Are you not creating your own paranoia out of not wanting to do something slightly differently ?

It shouldn’t, but it does often surprise me how some create their own barriers to convenience out of stubbornness more than anything else. 

Expand  

A group of farangs were scammed by a local Bangkok Bank employee & lost lots of money.  It is not paranoid to think this could happen to you.  I did something slightly different aged 63 and came to live near my son (16 years ago) so I am not resistant to change. 

That was an investment scam by a single bank employee. 

Its not the same as using your Bank Card to make a payment at a hotel.....   

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

What is more convenient than handing a 100 baht note to the cashier or producing a bank card from my wallet & have her scan it?

Well, if you want to discuss convenience.... It would appear the Op was inconvenienced quite a lot by his reluctance to pay by card....  

I understand your point about convenience - but that always swings to being prepared to use the ‘alternative option’ when things evolve or change. 

I recently paid 122 baht by Bank Card at a 7-11 because paying with a 1000 baht note seemed inconvenient. 

The idea of convenience is being prepared for either option. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This conversation is getting downright silly...

Digital payment (QR Codes, PromptPay, ApplePay, LinePay, Rabbit Pay, Debit, Credit Cards etc) or cash are both convenient - IF someone is objecting to the use of one or the other they are simply putting up obstacles in way of their own convenience. 

Not really. It is fine if you live in a big city but rural Thailand where millions of people live it simply doesn't work everywhere. For example I may go into the village on my wat home from taking the kids to school and buy 20 thb worth of patongo, or my wife may visit 5 or more stalls at the market. Few if any traders use anything other than cash and generally no receipts are given.

Sure 7/11, gas stations, BigC, Makro etc accept cards, but I pay in cash because I know how much cash I have on me and it saves the embarrassment of finding out that I haven't got as much money as I thought. 

When my wife goes to the markets or shopping she tells me how much she wants and takes it out of the cash box, or if I am not there she will tell me when she sees me.

Is this a reading comprehension thing ??????  ‘c’mon.... Read the comment !!! (highlighted in the quote for you).

IF someone is objecting to the use of one or the other i.e. if someone objects to either Cash or Digital payment methods, they are simply putting up obstacles and making life more inconvenient for themselves. 

How hard is it to be prepared for both options..... 

12 hours ago, khunjeff said:
On 1/12/2022 at 2:44 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

There are such places that only allow QR code payments?   Really?  Where?

There are indeed - I've encountered one restaurant and one coffee shop, both in Bangkok, that only accept QR payments.

Go on then, which ones are they that only accept QR codes and nothing else, no cash, no cards, nothing but QR payments?

• Confused 1

On 1/12/2022 at 1:52 PM, billd766 said:

I would call it stupidity on the hotels part. For every 4 persons over 50 weeks is equal tp 160,000 thb.

You're really got it confused, Mate.   This is about an individuals use of a hotel's sports facility and it doesn't involve staying at the hotel or 4 people.

"I did not stay there for 15 years but have been using their excellent sports facilities 4 times a week @ 200 baht a pop = 800 lost." 

Eyes on the bouncing ball please..

• Confused 1

thai businesses are a copy of any trend or fashion that starts in the west, especially UK.

and so they will try to do with the "cashless" trend now, only that they will do it in a messed

and lousy way, just like the PSAS web site (part of the phuket sandbox application) which accepts

cards only - but of course does not work properly, and many cards are declined.