Major changes made by the National Application Committee now require Thai citizenship applicants to pass a language test

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The act has been amended many times since that date. Just outdated info.

Yes, a pal (Brit) took Thai citizenship a couple of years ago. As I recall he had to make some declaration that he would renounce his British Citizenship "if called upon to do so". I guess if Thailand declared war on the UK he'd have to make a choice.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm guessing it will depend on how well you dress, how politely you Wai, how much the tester likes the cut of your jib etc.

Nothing an "agent" won't be able to sort I'd imagine.

Do you have any substantiation for the 2nd para? I would doubt it and maybe in your imagination only.

• Like 1

Just now, rimmae2 said:

Do you have any substantiation for the 2nd para? I would doubt it and maybe in your imagination only.

Well, agents are well known for being able to 'fix' issues with visas, for example the 800k requirement.

So I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be able to sort an issue with passing this new language test for Thai citizenship. The only point of debate would be how much they would charge, probably more than fixing a visa issue but that would depend on the official involved.

Feel free to continue doubting the existence of such practices though ????.

• Like 1

Given how few people actually apply for naturalization here, and the fact that knowledge of Thai language was already a requirement (though winked at for the very wealthy), it's hard to see why anyone felt this was a priority that needed addressing at this moment.

22 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Given how few people actually apply for naturalization here, and the fact that knowledge of Thai language was already a requirement (though winked at for the very wealthy), it's hard to see why anyone felt this was a priority that needed addressing at this moment.

Is there currently a writing requirement, or is it just speaking?

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is there currently a writing requirement, or is it just speaking?

It is part of the points scheme. Points for speaking, reading and writing. If you already have enough points then this is not a major issue. Just being able to speak would be sufficient. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Those were my thoughts as well when I read about this.

Makes sense - for once. Most countries require applicants speaking the local lingua. 

I did not go for it and will not do so as I would have to give up my present birth right nationality. If that makes sense - I don't know but I would not give up mine. 

No issues, a PR is fine enough for all those not interested in voting, not buying land and not engaging in "Thai only jobs/businesses". 

As I understand it, it's a point based system, so the Thai language criterion has changed from being merely a weighted factor (allowing room for it to be "winked" at), to an essential one (at least in theory). The renunciation aspect presumably means that anyone who hasn't renounced their previous citizenship, should their Thai citizenship be tested in a court of law, would not "legally" be a Thai citizen, whatever de facto priviliges they might currently be enjoying.

21 hours ago, Capella said:

I wonder how difficult the test will be? Will it be equivalent to a primary education, i.e. a por 6, I wonder? If so that's hard for most to pass.

Even por 2 is difficult for most foreigners. I was shocked when I saw a Thai por 2 book.

Its level is so much higher than those Thai classes for foreigners.

Most foreigners think that learning Thai words like 'where is the toilet', 'how much', 'numbers', 'mai pen rai' is considered 'able to speak Thai'.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

This is a big show stopper for people who simply just live here, we are forever stuck in the marriage/retirement extension loop.

Even if one is employed, the write and speak Thai will disqualify most applicants. 

In the past, it was just a 'knowledge of simple Thai', now its at least low intermediate level that a primary school student can converse.

Edited by EricTh

14 hours ago, Capella said:

The reading requirement was very basic, a simple multiple choice, and all you have to write is your name.

That has changed with the new requirements.

In the past, it was just 'some knowledge of Thai', now it is 'can write and speak Thai'. I wonder at which school grade.....

4 hours ago, nausea said:

As I understand it, it's a point based system, so the Thai language criterion has changed from being merely a weighted factor (allowing room for it to be "winked" at), to an essential one (at least in theory). The renunciation aspect presumably means that anyone who hasn't renounced their previous citizenship, should their Thai citizenship be tested in a court of law, would not "legally" be a Thai citizen, whatever de facto priviliges they might currently be enjoying.

In the past, it's a point based system but now it is a requirement for each category.

I guess it is because in the past, there were some rich Japanese investors who couldn't pass the 'read and write Thai' requirement but were given citizenships.

Having some knowledge of simple Thai is certainly easy for most foreigners but not the school level Thai for primary school students.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Even por 2 is difficult for most foreigners. I was shocked when I saw a Thai por 2 book.

Its level is so much higher than those Thai classes for foreigners.

Most foreigners think that learning Thai words like 'where is the toilet', 'how much', 'numbers', 'mai pen rai' is considered 'able to speak Thai'.

True - a friend of mind studied the Por 6, which is the standard elementary/primary school grade for Thai children (alluded to in the announcement). It's really hard, and I know of hardly any foreigners who could get anywhere near passing it. Let's hope the test they have in mind is easier, and that they're not using this change as a way of closing the door.

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1