Thailand drops to 25th place on the top lists of places to visit for students

webfact

Looking back, this should be about normal for Thai tourism.  Back in the 2000s Thai tourism had peaked at around 18 to 20 million visits a year, a number that had been stagnant for roughly a decade.  Looking at global numbers, Thailand rarely made it into the top 10, often below top 15.  All this changed when TAT and company decided to push Thailand as a destination to Chinese tourists. In less than two years, tourism doubled and Thailand routinely a top 10 destination. So basically, this really is nothing more than a reset.  And Looking at the country pre-COVID, many aspects of this country will be better off with lower numbers (and don't believe all this tripe about lost jobs, etc. I've seen what many have done since, and they are not suffering).

"However, the survey perhaps did not take into consideration, that students love the laid-back style of many remote regions in the country known as the Land of Smiles. "   say what?  They love to drink and make fun. So money for beer does go into the equation. 555555

1.72$ is 7-11 price for beer it's 3$ or 90 baht at happy hour and can easily be 120-180 baht or 4-6$.  No value in Thailand on the beer quality or price. 

Street food was one of my favorite things to see and experience in 2016.  Even 9f I didn't eat s ok me it was fun to see the locals grabbing BF and I did get iced coffee.  Lots near Asoke station but that changed  and they were gone in the next year. 

If 8 had read how polluted the ground and air was and how crowded the beaches were and how poor the diving was I would have gone elsewhere.  My first trip was a 12 hour rush decision. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

based on factors such as the number of hostels, volunteering opportunities, safety ratings and beer prices

At least they got one right!

Hostels - not relevant to many countries with cheap guest houses like Thailand. 

Volunteering - not an issue for most.

Safety - the young are indestructible (at least they think so).

Beer - the lubricant of a good time, essential. 

52 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Not to even mention the huge cost of getting into the Country in the first pace.

Something Mummy and Daddy would not fund , I guess.

At least the snobs here whose mummy and daddy were too mean to let them go and enjoy  backpacking will be pleased, I guess. They won't be feeling so jealous and have to make as many derogatory remarks to feel superior.

• Like 2

Read recently that people place Thailand in the top ten to retire. I'd understand between being a young student and retiring these kids get either smarter or dumber.  I'm sure I don't know as much as a retiree as when I was in my 20's; yet here I am. 

• Like 1

By the way.  I don't buy any of this. 
Covid has screwed the world's tourism. 

I want to go to the Netherlands - hummm cops firing live rounds into groups of protesters.  Nyah.
I want to go to Ireland - double jobbed and a nasal swab to have a beer.   Oh! Wait!  Triple jabbed now or you're "Unvaxxed?  Can we see your papers please?" <then you get Omicron anyway>

• Like 1

And remember - Thailand!  Best Place To Retire!!!

Well, except when you can't enter the country during a lockdown because you're foreign scum.  Can't return to your Thai home, can't return to your Thai family.  And then when you can, you have to jump through hoops Thais do not. 
"I have a condo and assets in Thailand!!!"

"I'm married to a Thai and have Thai children!"

You foreigner.  You danger to Thailand dirty foreigner. 

The only thing that makes foreigners "clean" is perhaps multi-millions of foreign capital which you transfer to Thailand!

We make you citizen now! You rich maak maak!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

"However, the survey perhaps did not take into consideration, that students love the laid-back style of many remote regions in the country known as the Land of Smiles. "   say what?  They love to drink and make fun. So money for beer does go into the equation. 555555

Now?  Drink a beer and get arrested and deported as well as called every name in the book except a human by Thai and virtue signaling farang alike. 

These polls are at best nonsense which are regurgitating past demographics and applying them to a reality that no longer exists.
I.e., ox and buffalo manure.