Truck driver carrying construction equipment knocks down 11 power poles, damages houses in Chonburi, driver blames the wire height

webfact

3 hours ago, Gold Star said:

The wife and I were nearly decapitated near Satun by a low cable hooked by a truck crossing the road in front of us. It luckily hit my windscreen which pushed it up just high enough to catch the forehead of my helmet, shearing off my GoPro, with my head smashing backwards into my wife's helmet.

We coasted to a stop, in time to see the truck driver unhook the cable from his truck, then drove away.  Onlookers were amazed that we survived, and rushed to buy lottery tickets with my number plate.

I have learned that poor shoddy Thai electrical work will kill me one day here, one way or another.

Thanks for the heads up 

I’ll keep my head down when travelling behind trucks with high loads. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, rwill said:

Almost all of the low hanging wires are from the internet companies, not the power company.  I see lots of them hanging low to the ground, sometimes touching it, if running along the shoulder of the road.  The government should really regulate these companies better and fine them for substandard installation and actually make them fix it.  There is probably about 100,000,000 meters of extra wire looped all across Thailand.  And that is most likely an underestimate.

Nobody cares. Too lazy to do a job properly. Cable there, internet work, what you ploblem mista?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gold Star said:

The wife and I were nearly decapitated near Satun by a low cable hooked by a truck crossing the road in front of us. It luckily hit my windscreen which pushed it up just high enough to catch the forehead of my helmet, shearing off my GoPro, with my head smashing backwards into my wife's helmet.

We coasted to a stop, in time to see the truck driver unhook the cable from his truck, then drove away.  Onlookers were amazed that we survived, and rushed to buy lottery tickets with my number plate.

I have learned that poor shoddy Thai electrical work will kill me one day here, one way or another.

I usually won't drive a scooter at night, too many possible 'obstacles' about.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

So ELEVEN power poles were pulled to the ground before the wires snapped?  Now I've started worrying about the number of squirrels running up & down them on my estate.

yep what's holding those poles up  Blue Tac

• Like 1

We had a  dangerously  low slung cable in the village where we live, it was left  like that after some work by the electric company,  the committee callled the electric company  to come to fix it ... 4 days later they arrived...they wanted 500b to fix the cable that THEY had left  hanging

Tie it to the back of a pick up with a rope and drive away.  Now the power company will not need the 500 baht to fix it.

3 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

..it looks to me that the wires stopped the truck from colliding with the orange lorry!

You mean the PEA cherry picker truck that has just arrived to start sorting out the mess?

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

So ELEVEN power poles were pulled to the ground before the wires snapped?  Now I've started worrying about the number of squirrels running up & down them on my estate.

I agree that they were pulled down however, the report says they were knocked down implying the truck did so....????

17 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I agree that they were pulled down however, the report says they were knocked down implying the truck did so....????

'construction equipment being carried on the trailer truck catching wires above the road and causing a chain reaction?'

Power cables are supposed to be 4 meters high min. to the best of my knowledge, but some of the small back streets where people have connected from the 'main road' power  poles are way much lower, tied to trees, propped up by bamboo poles, short concrete poles, the cables are so low at 1.5 metres along the road side  they can touch your head, we complained to PEA one time as the rack on my NV car while driving on the narrow road barely missed it, my missus told them, i'll take some photos and show you. 

"No no don't take photos'' was their reply ????