Mail from AU

nosmo49

I'm still receiving mail from Australia. Yesterday I received a greeting card from Sydney that took 4 weeks to arrive; but today I received a small parcel from Sydney that only took 2 weeks to arrive in BKK (using Australia Post).

i just received few mail from  my home country and local , but i guess local post offices "group " it together when more than 1piece  , as i received a 1 month ago send bankcard , and same time a paper tax declaration home country  form send date 27 -09-2021 !!! and local mail pieces ,all in one drop .

Probably another covid solution ????

22 hours ago, mark5335 said:

I'm still receiving mail from Australia. Yesterday I received a greeting card from Sydney that took 4 weeks to arrive; but today I received a small parcel from Sydney that only took 2 weeks to arrive in BKK (using Australia Post).

Two days ago received letter, in Chiang Mai, posted from Brisbane 4 days earlier.

Months back it was very slow, local postmaster in Sydney said many airlines holding back sending mail (stockpiling mail) on their flights because they have big opportunites to make a killing on general freight movements. How true is that? Who knows. 

Had some similar issues with slow delivery since 2020. Daughter sent meds  in May 2020, express post tracking indicated it had left Aus for Thailand  within 24 hours. Tracking info had then vanished into the ether and the package turned up 7weeks later after numerous calles to the post office here. Likewise Bank documents from Oz 2 weeks on one occassion and 6 weeks on another late last year. Perhaps mail is left before being sorted due to Covid?

My   daughter is a supervisor with Australia Post,   she tells me  they have   acute   staff shortages due to the virus and eveyone is on  O/T  trying to keep up.     On line shopping has increased parcel post   dramatically   and   Australia Post is encouraging people  to have parcals   delivered to local post office for collection, and    postie  can drop   note in    recipients  letter box  advising them to collect,, as  posty cant   deliver  to housholds  direct due to volume. In addition,    between  Thailand  and  Perth  (W.A)    very limited  air flights.,  some Perth     outbound mail is being  forwarded to Sydney  for  overseas destinations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Australia Post has been getting worse for years - even before Covid, domestic and international mail often took ages to arrive. Covid is used as a routine excuse here now, in all customer interactions and industries, to provide even worse service.

During last twelve months, airmail ex Australia (Melbourne & Sydney) to provincial Thailand: max duration 63 days, min 24 days. England to Thailand: min 6 days.

Thailand to Australia (Melbourne) airmail: 22 days.

Edited by BaiLao

There are multiple daily flights between Bangkok and Sydney which is the international mail exchange for all of Australia. 'Customers' deserve and explanation for the appalling mail service. 

The delay might well be at the Thailand end. Air Mailed letters to Hong Kong can take around three weeks. A letter mailed 30th December was received in Hong Kong yesterday, 19th January. 

I'm getting mail from Oz albeit it's slower than normal for sure.

Last letter received about (a week ago - regular sender) took almost 4 weeks to arrive which is more than twice normal postal speed.

Covid impact is being felt in every aspect of supply and delivery across the globe. So long without or low staff levels, very low to no production/processing for so very long (and unprecedented on both a national and international level before) is seeing a catch-up period before returning to normal levels of staffing and deliveries. It is what it is. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

My   daughter is a supervisor with Australia Post,   she tells me  they have   acute   staff shortages due to the virus and eveyone is on  O/T  trying to keep up.     On line shopping has increased parcel post   dramatically   and   Australia Post is encouraging people  to have parcals   delivered to local post office for collection, and    postie  can drop   note in    recipients  letter box  advising them to collect,, as  posty cant   deliver  to housholds  direct due to volume. In addition,    between  Thailand  and  Perth  (W.A)    very limited  air flights.,  some Perth     outbound mail is being  forwarded to Sydney  for  overseas destinations.

And they keep announcing new / better services to get on top of the backlog and provide efficient/fast delivery, but there's never any result.

I had an abrupt call from local PO telling me that they had a parcel for me, but couldn't/wouldn't  give any details.

I live in a wheelchair. My purchase included cost of delivery to my apartment. I mentioned this to the the PO guy and he got quite nasty.

In another call I got a regional supervisor on the line. At first his response was 'sorry you have to come to the PO'.

When I mentioned that I'm a Vietnam war veteran (the reason why I'm in a wheelchair), suddenly his attitude changed and he promised the parcel would delivered to my door. It was 14 days later. 

Their service is disgraceful. 

• 4 weeks later...

My bank in Germany sent me a new bankcard mid November 2021, it never arrived at my home. A new one sent on JAN 18 has not yet arrived, either. I went to my local post office today and I was told by the manager, that since two weeks nobody is working due to Covid. Some people are in the hospital, others take leave out of fear. I can't get into online banking with my German bank since the last bank card expired end of 2021. Now my account remains blocked. Nothing works without that card. How I then transfer my pensions? I have to call my bank in Germany to order a transfer. I haven't received any annually recurring "Life Certificate" from my pension funds in Switzerland and Belgium for the past two years.

What a mess since Covid started! Some people must despair.