Chinese high speed trains bring destruction for Thai farmers

webfact

5 hours ago, JayBird said:

So, how is Chinese produce compared to Thai?

Will it have less chemicals, pesticides, hormones, etc?

Most likely not. The Chinese are not known for high quality agricultural products, at least from what I've seen in Australia. Probably the best quality produce here is coming from New Zealand but is pricey. Haven't seen many imports at all from EU.

• Like 2

Why did the Thais think it would be otherwise... 1-way street belt n road.

Chinese buy Chinese..this is apparantly gaining stronger momentum

against even the foreigner designer brands....pivot to mandatory mandarin....booting out the English tutoring etc etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

Can you disclose what did you import and how much import tax did you pay?

If it was from Asian country there are special forms that allow you import with zero tax or almost zero.. 

Even if from non-Asian country, there are commodities with also very low tax, e.g. , some raw material.  

BTW, do you know an import-tax-free country?

You don't know what your talking about.

"Thailand’s average MFN applied tariff rate was 29 percent for agricultural products"

https://www.trade.gov/country-commercial-guides/thailand-import-tariffs

Thats not including the VAT of 7% charged.

You're unlikely to see imported rice unless its at high end shops with high end prices.

Lots of Chinese fruit and vegetables available though for some reason.

downright cheap and pretty good quality.

21 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Much of Chinese produce is substandard. They use fertilizers that are dangerous. Also most soil in China is heavily polluted from the air and that contaminates root vegetables and fruit. There are virtually little or no food safety standards in China. Chinese food and safety inspectors are known to accept brown envelopes.

Sure tastes good though.

I believe Thailand uses some pretty harsh insecticides as well.

In any case its good to thoroughly wash your fruit and vegetables before you consume as pesticides are overused all over the region.

Edited by MrJ2U

7 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Xi is an equal opportunity despot. He is willing to plunder regardless of race, gender, creed, or religion. After all, if you plan to run the world then you have to, you know, run the World.

Unlike of course the Portugese, Dutch, British, Aussies, Amercians, French, Spanish....etc etc

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Unlike of course the Portugese, Dutch, British, Aussies, Amercians, French, Spanish....etc etc

Sure. The Netherlands and Portugal are right up there with China in shaping world events. And of course their expansionist adventurism is well known.

First thing I do every morning is look for news of the latest atrocities committed by the Spanish.

Nice try, but no cigar.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Sure. The Netherlands and Portugal are right up there with China in shaping world events. And of course their expansionist adventurism is well known.

First thing I do every morning is look for news of the latest atrocities committed by the Spanish.

Nice try, but no cigar.

There is a thing called history ????

China is doing nothing that other countries have done over the past 500 years...

15 hours ago, gearbox said:

Most likely not. The Chinese are not known for high quality agricultural products, at least from what I've seen in Australia. Probably the best quality produce here is coming from New Zealand but is pricey. Haven't seen many imports at all from EU.

I know what they used for fertilizer when I was there in China!

Edited by jacko45k

22 hours ago, gearbox said:

I remember years back there was an outcry in Oz as some of the NZ frozen vegs were actually from China but packaged in NZ. I check the labeling now to confirm if something is actually produced in Aus/NZ when it appears to be

On 1/21/2022 at 1:36 AM, Chelseafan said:

Unfortunately China & Russia are stuck in a 19th Century world view, so don't see a problem with doing the same as colonial powers did in those old days. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, placnx said:

Unfortunately China & Russia are stuck in a 19th Century world view, so don't see a problem with doing the same as colonial powers did in those old days. 

Apparently, 2 Centuries later, they have shown some progress, especially after the kind sanctions imposed on their leaders.  

1 hour ago, placnx said:

That's a given but sadly there's noone to stand up to them. At least Xi has a policy of relativelty peaceful expansion, Putin on the other hand is just a thug.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 12:03 PM, Henryford said:

It will bring destruction to all of Thailand. Look what happened in Sihanoukville.

I last visited Sihanoukville in 2004 and Boracay in 1988. I'll never return to either place, to keep my happy memories intact. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Capella said:

I last visited Sihanoukville in 2004 and Boracay in 1988. I'll never return to either place, to keep my happy memories intact. 

I though a repair job had been done on Boracay. When I was there a typhoon passed through and we got stuck on the island, and supplies of basics was interrupted......  couldn't get a cold beer. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I though a repair job had been done on Boracay. When I was there a typhoon passed through and we got stuck on the island, and supplies of basics was interrupted......  couldn't get a cold beer. 

In 1988 there wasn't even any electricity there. All there was were small bungalows with oil lamps, the occasional restaurant having a generator, serving seafood caught by local fishermen. Pure blue water, perfect tranquility and crystalline clean white sand.

I very much doubt that any repair job could restore the concrete jungle it became to anywhere near its former glory. 

5 minutes ago, Capella said:

In 1988 there wasn't even any electricity there. All there was were small bungalows with oil lamps, the occasional restaurant having a generator, serving seafood caught by local fishermen. Pure blue water, perfect tranquility and crystalline clean white sand.

I very much doubt that any repair job could restore the concrete jungle it became to anywhere near its former glory. 

That sounds like what I experienced.... although I have recollection of a single little bulb in the bungalow, but could be wrong. It was idyllic as you describe.... until the weather closed in. 

Edited by jacko45k

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 11:09 AM, gearbox said:

Big C has frozen stuff from France.  But that's the closest I've seen.