Thailand Expects Endemic COVID-19

snoop1130

Criteria approved for declaration of COVID-19 as an endemic disease in Thailand

49597020648_9e38fed227_k.jpg

Photo: The US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)

Thailand’s National Communicable Disease Committee has agreed on the conditions which must be met for COVID-19 to be categorised as endemic disease in Thailand, said Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said Thursday.

To meet the criteria, new COVID-19 infections must not exceed 10,000 a day, the mortality rate must be less than 0.1% of the infection rate, the hospitalisation must less than 10% of the infection rate and more than 80% those at high risk of developing serious symptoms must have received at least two doses of vaccine and the general population must have developed sufficient immunity.

If such conditions are met at an appropriate time, he said the Public Health Ministry will update the public.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/criteria-approved-for-declaration-of-covid-19-as-an-endemic-disease-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-28

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RichardL said:

There's also been a higher incidence of people in hospital 'with' covid, rather than because of it, and the same would be true of deaths.

That was always the case but media did not report it as such so you didn't know unless you actually read the official sources yourself. Except more countries to start revising their official death numbers and releasing them to the public now that the panic seems to be residing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raccos21 said:

What I can see is that after 2 years everyone is starting to ignore the virus and is living with it by going on with their normal daily routine.

How do people keep this fear up? I still to this day don't know anyone who got COVID (in the US or Thailand) and was anything more than just sick for week.

As far I can prove with my own experience COVID was literally just the flu. If the government came out tomorrow and said "oops all the stats were made up, we lied" I wouldn't have ANY of my own data or experience to suggest otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

As has been stated over and over.....

Vaccinations do not prevent infection, they reduce serious infection requiring hospitalization. Also the vaccinations were designed at the times of Alpha and Beta, their efficacy wanes in time, and  Omicron largely evades immunity from past infection or two vaccine doses. 

Omicron has these less severe milder symptoms. 

Hint.  BOOSTERS

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RichardL said:

Omicron seems to spread very rapidly, but spreads more rapidly in major cities, so what appears to be happening is cities are peaking and falling, but the spread to other areas is slower.

There's also been a higher incidence of people in hospital 'with' covid, rather than because of it, and the same would be true of deaths.

As the virus weakens, as these things tend to do, there has to come a point where Thailand, and the world in general, realises it needs to treat it in the way it does with other viruses with similar mortality rates. Once a handful of major countries take that step, the rest will follow.

should have happened from day one