Details of Revised Test & Go Program Announced

snoop1130

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I fail to understand why so many continue to pursue this sort of comment.

Thailand has been saying on a regular basis they are looking to reduce the dependency on mass tourism.

Time people woke up  to the fact that things will never be as they were.

There is such a thing as a middle way. Thailand will.never succeed as an elite only tourism destination but at the same time yes mass tourism can also be reduced.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I'm not apologising but for someone that has returned 3 times under CoE and twice with Thai Pass things

And I thought BDSM is the only form of torture people enjoy. Kudos to some who is willing to go to any lengths for pleasure!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

That seems 180° backwards. 

Who can take a trip with entry rules that may land you in 14+ day quarantine jail? A person with a good job he has to return to after his few weeks of vacation time expire?

Backpackers and retirees are the only tourists they'll get under these rules. 

The Thai government idea is that ultra rich don't need to work, so they don't compete with 15k/month Thai labourers, and since they don't work, their holidays can run as long as entry stamp allows them, while they have nothing better to do than visit temples and spend money on gold infused som tum...

Usually stories where this is reality start with: "Once upon a time..."

As for people coming - just looking at this forum, there's no shortage of people willing to go through all the hoops to get here. Just see the visa section and Thailand Pass discussions...

Edited by tomazbodner
added last line
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, UKPaul67 said:

Now that Phillipines has issued Feb  8th, with only predeparture test, Thailand will have to drop most of these rule's or they will lose billions of ฿. They want any tourist willing to pay for entry.

Not sure I agree with you on last sentence. Well, depends on who is "They". If you mean politicians, then you're way off. If you mean people working in tourism and associated services, then probably true. But do you think those people really matter (anywhere on this planet) unless it's 6 months to elections?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

The Thai government idea is that ultra rich don't need to work, so they don't compete with 15k/month Thai labourers, and since they don't work, their holidays can run as long as entry stamp allows them, while they have nothing better to do than visit temples and spend money on gold infused som tum...

Usually stories where this is reality start with: "Once upon a time..."

As for people coming - just looking at this forum, there's no shortage of people willing to go through all the hoops to get here. Just see the visa section and Thailand Pass discussions...

Of  course there is a shortage!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eppic said:

Screw this. Meanwhile, Philippines just announced full reopening Feb 10 with an end to quarantine for fully vaccinated so we can finally make our permanent exit.  

It's time for Thailand to end this nonsense.

I'm not a fan of Philippines but given the beaches there compared to Cambodia I'd try it again.

Still American and Aussie friendly

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

I tried to explain that to one poster last week but he didn't seem to grasp the concept of domestic community spread.

Think he thought johnny foreigners were the only people who could carry covid.

It's the narrative that has been pushed by the government & media since day 1

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

You keep your worthless Thai properties, i'll stick to my UK ones.

Post us a link to the Thailand property market increasing at 10% per annum.

UK rental income the strongest it's ever been

I don't need the capital in my properties, unlike you by the souds of it. Whe did this become a topic about rental and properties btw?

When you off back to Blighty? Bradford / Leeds? AKA Karachi.

Enjoy, i'll stay in Thailand ( chained ) thanks - lol.

19 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

What about days 2, 3, and 4? And if not, what's the point of day 5? Can't they just demand that test is done at a hospital or some other test center, rather than at a hotel? Who dreams up these policies and do they at all think them through before approving them?

Makes the whole "sandbox" business somewhat redundant.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Your funny Harry.

Always in the minority on this forum.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/thumbs-down-for-thailands-test-go-version-2

Now the best you can do is talk about money.

You've lost the argument already.

You keep your worthless Thai properties, i'll stick to my UK ones.

Post us a link to the Thailand property market increasing at 10% per annum.

UK rental income the strongest it's ever been.

Expats getting out of Thailand because the schools have been closed for a few years.

Taking their kids back to the UK to get a decent education.

Not only have you chained yourself to Thailand but you have flushed your money down the toilet and been brainwashed by the natives.

You employed by TAT to supplement your frozen state pension.

https://www.ft.com/content/fc33b109-0d7a-426d-ac64-d01a0fb89f12

Come on Harry where's the links to a booming Thai property market?

Send me a PM and i'll lend you a few quid.

So funny. ????

If you're using UK property for investment, you'll be lucky to get 3% return. I'm getting over 7% on my Thai condos, and years ago was getting 11 to 12%. Not much capital gain here, but the properties were cheap, espec. with the AUD and STG exchange rates! Sell up now and repatriate the money to your home country, and make >30%.

Yes, this is our country now, and any investments are actually for our wives when we kick the bucket!

As for education, it's up to the student and family. Most lower-middle class kids in the UK are pretty thick and unemployable, and without the "niceness" of Asian kids.

Also, in Oz and the UK, we're foreigners and dinosaurs in our own countries.....not too different from our status in Thailand!

• Haha 1

I generally agree with tomazbodner.  Thailand had become an advanced developing economy leading up to the COVID pandemic.  To get to the next level they need to lose some of their old third world ways. COVID has provided a unique opportunity to rebuild.  I don't believe the new Thai government policies are aimed at going back to the status quo.  To become an advanced economy will take many years but what better time to start?  The government is laying the groundwork and signaling in that direction.  Private investment will follow the THB1.4T in government infrastructure spending this year alone.  The Thai economy is said to have grown 4% last year despite COVID.  Exports are up 17% over last year as the economy adjusts to less tourism revenue.   Some of the new businesses that grow out of the COVID recession will offer products and services that attract wealthier tourists.  And there are 1.5B potential tourist just north of the boarder.  I see signs of a brighter future for Thailand and I personally think it's exciting.  It's all my opinion. Perhaps I have not lived here long enough to become reflexively pessimistic.  I'm bullish.

1 hour ago, Cherrytreeview said:

The ignorance on this forum is genuinely quite shocking...

That's a bit harsh.  This is an apples and oranges comparison.  crouchpeter is talking about 'returns' on a 'past' investment.  You first link is pre-pandemic growth data which outdated and does not tell us about returns which is what crouchpeter is talking about.  Your second link tells us housing index outpaced rents which is a squeeze on returns.  Without knowing crouchpeter's entry point we cannot accurately assess his investment.  But he states 7% return although we don't know if that is net or not.  That's a great net return and not bad if it's before taxes and operating costs.  If we are talking about an investment made today, then only those with a crystal ball know for sure.  So you both have good points, but no one here is shockingly ignorant.

5 hours ago, TheScience said:

I'm not a fan of Philippines but given the beaches there compared to Cambodia I'd try it again.

Still American and Aussie friendly

A bit off topic, but in the Phils location is very important. Some wonderful places, some horrible. Better beaches than Thailand for certain (my wife is from Illoilo on Panay island, home of Boracay).  Manila mostly horrible but BGC district (where we will move) better and more civilized  than anywhere in Bangkok.

Plus, Philippines wins on being accepted as a foreigner, ain't gonna happen in Thailand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There is such a thing as a middle way. Thailand will.never succeed as an elite only tourism destination but at the same time yes mass tourism can also be reduced.

so why ask an irrelevant question.

", or don't they really want people to come in numbers? "

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, mancub said:

Only since the numbers nose-dived. Previously it was all "anticipation" of year on year higher figures. 

I can only assume you have not been here very long, been saying it for a decade.

Thailand needs to move beyond its ‘Amazing’ brand, embrace quality tourism and build iconic mega-attractions instead of more hotel rooms that only end up being discounted, says David Keen, CEO of Keen, a global brand strategy and communications agency with its headquarters in Bangkok

https://www.huahintoday.com/sports/thailand-too-reliant-on-mass-tourism/

46 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I can only assume you have not been here very long, been saying it for a decade.

Thailand needs to move beyond its ‘Amazing’ brand, embrace quality tourism and build iconic mega-attractions instead of more hotel rooms that only end up being discounted, says David Keen, CEO of Keen, a global brand strategy and communications agency with its headquarters in Bangkok

https://www.huahintoday.com/sports/thailand-too-reliant-on-mass-tourism/

Although irrelevant, your assumption is entirely wrong.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I'd bother to read it - it seems relatively simple - you have to take two tests, one on arrival and one a few (five) days later. You have to have the night booked in a quarantine hotel for the night waiting for the test results in both cases. If you are visiting for less than five days you need a return ticket.

Obviously experience tells that you need to have insurance which will cover you in the event of failing a test and being dragged kicking and screaming into quarantine.

Of course the killer will be, as before, if the chap in uniform, medal ribbons and jump wings sitting behind the desk who announces the results of the tests has " an understanding" with those who are providing quarantine - then you are shafted, or whatever the Norwegian, Danish or Israeli equivalent is!

Actually that's a good point. Do you get to see the test results? If you do then it's more difficult to use to their advantage but if you don't and you're just taking the word of someone who might have a financial interest then you might have a problem.

I'm not saying there's definitely going to be some corruption but I've heard it happens and if you don't see the original result then there's always going to be suspicion.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It's an improvement tho, right?

Possibly not enough for tourist unless they are staying for some time but for those of us who live in Thailand and are trying to get back then yes it is. That's despite the fact the second test and having to stay in a hotel for it makes no sense.

• Like 2