Meyer vs Zebra frying pan

EricTh

Has anybody bought/used Meyer frying pan before? How does it compare with Zebra stainless steel 3 ply frying pan?

Does the Meyer handle gets hot during cooking because I don't see any insulator.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/meyer-bella-classico-26-induction-i112202484-s114950119.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:12654756915!117524295342!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!114950119!120278660&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxc6PBhCEARIsAH8Hff2_7Zk8rTLoscKs58PecxmOjAnWcmyo5NdnAEJMPYAW_-v6s0--tSgaAhKpEALw_wcB

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Don't know about the difference or handles heat retention.  Just wanted to point out, in case you didn't notice, bottom of pan is only 8cm, and that's very small.  You're basically buying a wok.

What will you be using it on, as our small 16cm saucepans have a hard time setting properly on our gas range.  Bit of a balancing act, and if empty, they simply tip over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

Is this for use on a charcoal stove, gas stove, conventional electric ring or induction hob ?

In the specs it says this

Cookware_Compatibility

Electric,Halogen,Infrared,Induction Ready,Gas Range

wok.JPG.d6e3974a599fede696b2d96df6f9a435.JPG

This may help:

https://support.circulon.com/support/solutions/articles/65000167023-do-stainless-steel-handles-get-hot-

Do stainless steel handles get hot?

William Mercado
Modified on: Fri, 7 Aug, 2020 at 8:33 PM

Generally, stainless steel is a poor heat conductor which is why it makes for good, sturdy handles.

There are several types of stainless steel handles.   

Stainless steel tubular handles are sturdy and oven safe. The stainless steel is formed into a tubular shape, creating an inside air flow up the shank of the handle. This slows the buildup of heat from the hot pan to the handle.  Most of our newer product lines with tubular handles also contain a baffle where the handle meets the pan, allowing the handle to stay cooler for a longer period of time.

Cast stainless steel handles are molded into sturdy, beautiful handles that come in various shapes for grip comfort while remaining oven safe and durable.

Hollow-core cast stainless steel handles stay cooler longer than solid cast stainless steel handles and are oven safe to 500 degrees F. The air in the core of the handle insulates against heat during stovetop cooking.

For all types of stainless steel handles, the heat setting and length of the handle determine how long the handle will stay cool to the touch. Long stick handles will usually stay cooler than shorter side handles. However, if the stick handle is on a small skillet, the handle is much closer to the heat source, and consequently will tend to heat up much faster than a stick handle on a wide saute pan or tall saucepan.

Be sure to follow these basic guidelines when using product with stainless steel handles.

• Use the burner size that most closely matches the size of your product.
  • Center your product on the burner.
  • Use low to medium heat.
  • Always use pot holders when removing product from the stovetop.

Note: You may want to consider using handle sleeves. They are a popular tool and are usually available from online retailers and most larger department stores.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

In the specs it says this

Cookware_Compatibility

Electric,Halogen,Infrared,Induction Ready,Gas Range

wok.JPG.d6e3974a599fede696b2d96df6f9a435.JPG

Got to read the not so fine small print ...

Untitled.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Untitled.jpg

I am not doubting that Read the post I was quoting and my reply was to answer that ONLY!

Is this for use on a charcoal stove, gas stove, conventional electric ring or induction hob ?

No mention of SIZE!!!

Edited by MJCM
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know about the difference or handles heat retention.  Just wanted to point out, in case you didn't notice, bottom of pan is only 8cm, and that's very small.  You're basically buying a wok.

What will you be using it on, as our small 16cm saucepans have a hard time setting properly on our gas range.  Bit of a balancing act, and if empty, they simply tip over.

I already have a 30 cm stir-fry pan for bigger things but I hate the cleaning of such a large pan and handling a cumbersome and heavy pan.

I am thinking of buying another smaller stainless steel pan just for frying the eggs and/or a bit of vegetables for light cooking/breakfast as it's easier to clean, the smaller the better.

I heard Meyer has a 20 cm stainless steel pan which would be perfect but I don't know whether it will give me any problems later when compared to Zebra.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I already have a 30 cm stir-fry pan for bigger things but I hate the cleaning of such a large pan and handling a cumbersome and heavy pan.

I am thinking of buying another smaller stainless steel pan just for frying the eggs and/or a bit of vegetables for light cooking/breakfast as it's easier to clean, the smaller the better.

I heard Meyer has a 20 cm stainless steel pan which would be perfect but I don't know whether it will give me any problems later when compared to Zebra.

For eggs, and lower temp cooking (if fearing high temp teflon BS), then a non stick pan is the way to go.  Doesn't have to be teflon.  Again, I love my cast iron, though heavy, and not for everyone, especially the newer 'unfinished / rough surface' they put out.  But I made mine as good as, actually better than any non stick pan out there.

There's ceramic ???? see below, & stone / glass coated, though not really a fan of.  Bought this at Makro, was on sale for 699, went back later, after a bit of research, off sale, and promo display dismantle, the few left, were buried in stock, on the self with rest of pans, for 399 ???? so I bought 2, 1 for daughter. Very nice looking & non stick ceramic pan.  Not heavy, but also not thin and should last longer than other c r a p I've bought.  If near a Makro, worth looking for.  Top 28cm, bottom surface 16cm, and great pan for eggs and or stir fry, as little higher sides than standard skillet, though less bottom surface.

image.png.ca02d6dd9415e2ddeba7d703656a2b70.png

If don't mind putting a little effort, OK, maybe a lot for some, but worth it to have a smooth surface non stick cast iron skillet.  It is heavy, and clean up a breeze compared to my SS fry pan.

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

in case you didn't notice, bottom of pan is only 8cm, and that's very small.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Untitled.jpg

And in additional to reading the small print, you must also be able to interpret measurements. The illustration shows the pan is 26cm wide and 8cm high. I estimate the flat cooking surface to be no more than 10-12cm across.

Contrary to the sellers claim that the pan is compatible with induction cooking, I disagree. The heating surface on most induction cookers is around 18-20cm in diameter. For efficient cooking the pans flat bottom should cover as much of the heating surface as possible, which this pan wouldn't.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

For eggs, and lower temp cooking (if fearing high temp teflon BS), then a non stick pan is the way to go.  Doesn't have to be teflon.  Again, I love my cast iron, though heavy, and not for everyone, especially the newer 'unfinished / rough surface' they put out.  But I made mine as good as, actually better than any non stick pan out there.

There's ceramic ???? see below, & stone / glass coated, though not really a fan of.  Bought this at Makro, was on sale for 699, went back later, after a bit of research, off sale, and promo display dismantle, the few left, were buried in stock, on the self with rest of pans, for 399 ???? so I bought 2, 1 for daughter. Very nice looking & non stick ceramic pan.  Not heavy, but also not thin and should last longer than other c r a p I've bought.  If near a Makro, worth looking for.  Top 28cm, bottom surface 16cm, and great pan for eggs and or stir fry, as little higher sides than standard skillet, though less bottom surface.

26 cm is a bit too big just to do some light cooking. I did see this a few days ago at Makro but when I checked,

https://thegoodlifedesigns.com/ceramic-vs-stainless-steel-cookware/

Ceramic Cookware Disadvantages

• Avoid metal utensils
  • Not-dishwasher-safe. (Harms the non-stick finish).
  • A shorter lifespan than stainless steel or cast iron. At best, you’ll get 3-5 years of non-stick cooking.
  • Low-medium heat only: Although safe under high heat, it can decrease the non-stick surface’s lifespan.

You can't use stainless steel spatula on it and the ceramic coating will chip off sooner or later. That's why not many Thai wants to buy this type.

I still prefer 20 to 22 cm stainless steel pan.

It seems that only Meyer has it......but nobody here has used it..

Edited by EricTh

15 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Contrary to the sellers claim that the pan is compatible with induction cooking, I disagree. The heating surface on most induction cookers is around 18-20cm in diameter. For efficient cooking the pans flat bottom should cover as much of the heating surface as possible, which this pan wouldn't.

Actually, the aluminium plate disperse the heat up quickly even with a narrow base so this isn't a big problem for light cooking.

A small base is not suitable for heavy high heat cooking though

I am using an induction cooker.

Edited by EricTh

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

If you copy & paste your post title into You Tube, you'll find quite a few videos using Mayer and Zebra pans.

• Like 1

If it's any help, I buy Diamond Chef from Makro. They are cheap and non stick. Just clean them with a sponge and the Non stick last for ever. They do several sizes and types I got a wok type one yesterday 32cm and that was 299bht. The normal F/Pan I obtained several months ago still works fine. Handles are great never get hot. Have tried over the years several different makes. And find Diamond Chef are just as good if not better + you save a few BHT. N/B I cook on gas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tonray said:

This may help:

https://support.circulon.com/support/solutions/articles/65000167023-do-stainless-steel-handles-get-hot-

William Mercado
Modified on: Fri, 7 Aug, 2020 at 8:33 PM

Generally, stainless steel is a poor heat conductor which is why it makes for good, sturdy handles.

There are several types of stainless steel handles.   

Stainless steel tubular handles are sturdy and oven safe. The stainless steel is formed into a tubular shape, creating an inside air flow up the shank of the handle. This slows the buildup of heat from the hot pan to the handle.  Most of our newer product lines with tubular handles also contain a baffle where the handle meets the pan, allowing the handle to stay cooler for a longer period of time.

Cast stainless steel handles are molded into sturdy, beautiful handles that come in various shapes for grip comfort while remaining oven safe and durable.

Hollow-core cast stainless steel handles stay cooler longer than solid cast stainless steel handles and are oven safe to 500 degrees F. The air in the core of the handle insulates against heat during stovetop cooking.

For all types of stainless steel handles, the heat setting and length of the handle determine how long the handle will stay cool to the touch. Long stick handles will usually stay cooler than shorter side handles. However, if the stick handle is on a small skillet, the handle is much closer to the heat source, and consequently will tend to heat up much faster than a stick handle on a wide saute pan or tall saucepan.

Be sure to follow these basic guidelines when using product with stainless steel handles.

• Use the burner size that most closely matches the size of your product.
  • Center your product on the burner.
  • Use low to medium heat.
  • Always use pot holders when removing product from the stovetop.

Note: You may want to consider using handle sleeves. They are a popular tool and are usually available from online retailers and most larger department stores.

Worked as a chef for many years and one problem with some pots and pans that has tubular handles ,

is that as time passes the welding's are broken and it will let in water after cleaning them

and the handle get even hotter since the water starts to boil in the handle.

Especially if you cook on gas, where the excess heat goes out and up to the handle.

Normally that's not an issue in a restaurant kitchen since we know stuff are hot ???? 

My favorite pans are good old fashioned iron pans due to their excellent heat distribution capabilities

and if you handle them well and treat them correctly, they last forever.

They works tons better than all sorts of popular non stick super high tech space age engineered pans, 

and preparing your food on iron pans actually adds iron to your food.

So if you need iron in your dietary , an iron pan can supplement your daily intake..

Some of my favorite pans are from a French manufacturer De buyer, but the price is off course more expensive.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If it's any help, I buy Diamond Chef from Makro. They are cheap and non stick. Just clean them with a sponge and the Non stick last for ever. They do several sizes and types I got a wok type one yesterday 32cm and that was 299bht. The normal F/Pan I obtained several months ago still works fine. Handles are great never get hot. Have tried over the years several different makes. And find Diamond Chef are just as good if not better + you save a few BHT. N/B I cook on gas.

I won't buy any of those non-stick pan, used to have one but the coating chipped off after a while.

Furthermore, the coating will leech off toxic materials onto your food so it's better not to buy those non-stick pan.

Thai people usually buy stainless steel or cast iron  for food safety and durability

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

26 cm is a bit too big just to do some light cooking. I did see this a few days ago at Makro but when I checked,

https://thegoodlifedesigns.com/ceramic-vs-stainless-steel-cookware/

Ceramic Cookware Disadvantages

• Avoid metal utensils
  • Not-dishwasher-safe. (Harms the non-stick finish).
  • A shorter lifespan than stainless steel or cast iron. At best, you’ll get 3-5 years of non-stick cooking.
  • Low-medium heat only: Although safe under high heat, it can decrease the non-stick surface’s lifespan.

You can't use stainless steel spatula on it and the ceramic coating will chip off sooner or later. That's why not many Thai wants to buy this type.

I still prefer 20 to 22 cm stainless steel pan.

It seems that only Meyer has it......but nobody here has used it..

Yea, they can't take the abuse SS & cast iron can.  My skillets are 24 & 26cm, which is about right, as you'll need some room to get the spatula in there, along with any stir frying, stirring, and keep things in the pan.  The plus about the copper one, the high sides, great for stir fry.

Because of that, I even picked up another cast iron 'griddle', round, looks like a pizza pan with handle, just for pancakes, as really hard to flip in skillet, unless doing 1 at a time.

Happy Shopping

We use stainless steel, 'aluminium core' set made by Scanpan the best pans I've (we've) ever owned, so good I brought them with me when I emigrated here.

Ours have metal lid handles which are stainless 'button' type inset into pyrex glass lids. Great steam/pressure valves in them too.

If ya buy cheap pans that don't have a heavy core baseplate you'll regret it. These work beautifully on gas hobs and convection plates.

The photo you show seems to be a quasi-wok pan. 

Scanpan make a few qualities ... cheaper (but good) ranges, right up to top of the line copper based pans.

Super easy to clean (must never ever use metal scourers on pans (no need to use such scourers if the quality of the stainless steel is good). A nylon / foam backed styled scourer is all you need.

Edited by Tropposurfer

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

I won't buy any of those non-stick pan, used to have one but the coating chipped off after a while.

Furthermore, the coating will leech off toxic materials onto your food so it's better not to buy those non-stick pan.

Thai people usually buy stainless steel or cast iron  for food safety and durability

Tip just try. Wash your Aluminum pans then when they are dry Take a clean cloth and wipe the inside. You will see it will have a back coating Aluminum Oxide loads of it and you say that it's better than Non stick??? S/steel is fine. But until it's been used a few times it' stick like crazy. Same as C/Iron that will also get a rust coating. And you worried about the Non stick coming off. N/B It doesn't if you use a sponge to clean it. Also get a good one to start with. 

Edited by fredob43

Mayer is pretty good, we have a whole set and use it on a daily bases with no

problems. The handle does not get hot. 

Why buy it from Lazada? Mayer is available at most home improvement stores, I think we got ours at Global House (cant remember) , but if you go to those places you can see what all the choices are, chose the one you like, and have it home in an hour. 

No need to be ordering from lazada IMO

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Tip just try. Wash your Aluminum pans then when they are dry Take a clean cloth and wipe the inside. You will see it will have a back coating Aluminum Oxide loads of it and you say that it's better than Non stick??? S/steel is fine. But until it's been used a few times it' stick like crazy. Same as C/Iron that will also get a rust coating. And you worried about the Non stick coming off. N/B It doesn't if you use a sponge to clean it. Also get a good one to start with. 

I am talking about s.steel and cast iron and not aluminium.

My current s.steel pan doesn't really stick much once I know the trick and it's safe to use metal spatula for heavy stir-fry. 

It's certain better than the non-stick toxic pans.

21 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Mayer is pretty good, we have a whole set and use it on a daily bases with no

problems. The handle does not get hot. 

Why buy it from Lazada? Mayer is available at most home improvement stores, I think we got ours at Global House (cant remember) , but if you go to those places you can see what all the choices are, chose the one you like, and have it home in an hour. 

No need to be ordering from lazada IMO

Thanks for the feedback, you're the first reported user of Meyer pans and pots.

I am surprised why the handle does not get hot considering it is metal and not plastic.

Does the base of the frying pan gets burned black permanently if we forgot to put oil onto the pan?

I am going for a small 20 cm stainless steel Meyer pan to fry some eggs and small vegetables. Zebra doesn't seem to have this small size.

Edited by EricTh

6 minutes ago, natway09 said:

As an ex chef of many years the heavier the <deleted> on it the better.These Seagull pans & even the pots 

just do not cut the mustard except for boiling & even then if have solids in will stick & burn

Which word was <deleted>?

41 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

We use stainless steel, 'aluminium core' set made by Scanpan the best pans I've (we've) ever owned, so good I brought them with me when I emigrated here.

Ours have metal lid handles which are stainless 'button' type inset into pyrex glass lids. Great steam/pressure valves in them too.

If ya buy cheap pans that don't have a heavy core baseplate you'll regret it. These work beautifully on gas hobs and convection plates.

The photo you show seems to be a quasi-wok pan. 

Scanpan make a few qualities ... cheaper (but good) ranges, right up to top of the line copper based pans.

Super easy to clean (must never ever use metal scourers on pans (no need to use such scourers if the quality of the stainless steel is good). A nylon / foam backed styled scourer is all you need.

Never heard of Scanpan, what is the quality of the stainless steel ? 18/8 or 18/0?

It seems to be more expensive than Meyer.

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Thanks for the feedback, you're the first reported user of Meyer pans and pots.

I am surprised why the handle does not get hot considering it is metal and not plastic.

Does the base of the frying pan gets burned black permanently if we forgot to put oil onto the pan?

I am going for a small 20 cm stainless steel Meyer pan to fry some eggs and small vegetables. Zebra doesn't seem to have this small size.

20 cm is the one we have and it is a fine size for a couple of eggs, 

It has a nice thick base so it does not warp when it gets hot as some frying pans are known to do.

No description available.

the handle is hollow and only makes contact with the frying pan at two points, Just to check , I just put the frying pan on the highest heat burner of our stove for five minutes, and the handle only got slightly warm

The handle feel very sturdy. Wife says we bought it at Doo Home so just take a ride there and take a look at it. 

No description available.

• Like 1