Who listens to classical music? And what are your favorite pieces?

22 hours ago, 41632584 said:

Shostakovich No. 5 - 4th movement conducted by Leonard Bernstein

Probably the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. But I guess some forum members would be able to tell.

Bernstein's famous interpretation of this music leading to a ridiculously fast execution by the orchestra.

I gave up after 2 minutes. I don't see the point in all those people playing "music" that has no tune - just goes faster and slower, and louder and quieter... with nothing left that you can remember or hum.

So what's the point? Is it simply a test of the musicians' ability to read the sheet music and keep up with the maniacal conductor?

3 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I gave up after 2 minutes. I don't see the point in all those people playing "music" that has no tune - just goes faster and slower, and louder and quieter... with nothing left that you can remember or hum.

So what's the point? Is it simply a test of the musicians' ability to read the sheet music and keep up with the maniacal conductor?

What is the point?

Just beauty in the music, and nothing more.

Some people just beat on their logs, and call it music, also.

I would also recommend imho  the greatest 20th century composer Philip Glass, his his operas and his amazing music.

His operas can take some concentration, however they are masterpieces aurally and visually.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 41632584 said:

I saw this one a while ago, quite original and well executed. Of course, loved the shocked faces of the audience

Uh, you do realise that the audience is actors? Pretty sure they weren't shocked, but rather paid to look so.

And the only thing that came close to being "well executed" is the poor cellos, and in particular their bows which are nigh on massacred.

10 hours ago, Oxx said:

Uh, you do realise that the audience is actors? Pretty sure they weren't shocked, but rather paid to look so.

And the only thing that came close to being "well executed" is the poor cellos, and in particular their bows which are nigh on massacred.

I watched it like a short movie with musical theme at the center. With a deceptive baroque or classical start suddenly transitioning to pop or rock style, which I think they did with great skill. Imagining how an audience in those days would have reacted to music of our times. And, yes, they treated the cellos rather harshly. ????

Gustav Mahler : Symphony No. 5 in C-Sharp-Minor
Movement 4. Adagietto

1) Short historical anecdote on Mahler's adagietto and the contrasting tempos of legendary conductor Willem Mengelberg and conductors of our time.
2) Concertgebouw Orchestra conducted by Willem Mengelberg, recorded May 1926 [07m08s]
3) New York Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein [11m01s]

Which version do you think is nicer?

• Like 1

I became a 'born again' classical fan from looking at YouTube: the Dave Hurwitz videos leading me on. These are a few of the LIVE videos on YouTube that I much enjoy:

The wonderful acoustic guitar videos produced by Siccas Guitars  - Ana Vidovic, Alexandra Whittingham etc.

JS Bach 'Ebarme Dich' - Lisa Batiashvili - magical

JS Bach Piano concerto no. 1 - Polina Osetinskaya

Beethoven Symphony 9 - Riccardo Muti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Beethoven Violin Concerto - Maxim Vengerov with the Poznan Philharmonia

Bernstein 'Candide' overture - Gustavo Dudamel with Vienna Philharmonic

Debussy 'The Girl With The Flaxen Hair' - Michelangeli

Elgar 'Nimrod' - Jonathan Scott (pipe organ)

Faure 'Pavane' - 12 Cellists of the Berlin Symphony

Gershwin 'An American In Paris' - Dudamel and the LA Philharmonic

Handel 'Fireworks Music' 2012 Proms - Herve Niquet and Le Concert Spirituel ('Water Music' fine too)

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 5:40 PM, jvs said:

One of my favorites but there are lots more!

I listen to all kinds of music everyday.

Usually by headphones but sometimes i crank up the old stereo set,sounds great!

Yes my Thai partner also likes some classical music.

Lovely, jvs.  What's missing is the proper ghoulish ambience.

• Like 1

A few more LIVE 'gems':

Handel 'Ombra Mai <deleted>' - Sung variously by Andreas Scholl (counter tenor), Dimitri Hvorostovsky (the opposite), and Gigli (in the middle - in 1933!)

Grieg 'Wedding Day At Troldhaugen' - Tiffany (Thailand's own - why not?)

Liszt 'La Campanella' - Evgeny Kissin

Mendelssohn 'Violin Concerto' - Ray Chen with the Gothenburg Symphony

Mozart 'Papageno, Papagena' (from 'The Magic Flute') - one by Simon Keenlyside and one by Roderick Williams

Puccini 'Vissi d'arte' (from 'Tosca') - Maria Callas 1964

Ravel 'Bolero' - Dudamel and the Vienna Philharmonic

Rodrigo 'Concierto de Aranjuez' and 'Fantasia Para Un Gentilhombre' - Pablo Sainz Villegas'

Rossini 'The Thieving Magpie' Overture - Dudamel and the Vienna Philharmonic

Schubert 'Standchen' - Marcin Dylla (guitar)

Sibelius 'Finlandia' - Jukka Pakka Sarastre with the Finnish Radio Symphony

plus:

A wonderful full performance of Tchaikovsky's ballet 'The Nutcracker' by the Mariinsky Theatre 2012

The famous  'Tosca' (only part) 1964 - Maria Callas and' the evil' Tito Gobbi (English subtitles)

A surprisingly good outdoor complete 'Carmen' by Bizet - Opernfestspiele Sankt Margarethen 2005

and, lastly, as a 75 year old, I love a leading  tenor of a bygone age Giacomo Lauri Volpi singing in Barcelona at the age of 80 'Nessun Dorma'. He  had not sung in public for about 13 years and nothing could deflect him from singing 'Nessun Dorma' - and why not?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, siftasam said:

A few more LIVE 'gems':

Handel 'Ombra Mai <deleted>' - Sung variously by Andreas Scholl (counter tenor), Dimitri Hvorostovsky (the opposite), and Gigli (in the middle - in 1933!)

Grieg 'Wedding Day At Troldhaugen' - Tiffany (Thailand's own - why not?)

Liszt 'La Campanella' - Evgeny Kissin

Mendelssohn 'Violin Concerto' - Ray Chen with the Gothenburg Symphony

Mozart 'Papageno, Papagena' (from 'The Magic Flute') - one by Simon Keenlyside and one by Roderick Williams

Puccini 'Vissi d'arte' (from 'Tosca') - Maria Callas 1964

Ravel 'Bolero' - Dudamel and the Vienna Philharmonic

Rodrigo 'Concierto de Aranjuez' and 'Fantasia Para Un Gentilhombre' - Pablo Sainz Villegas'

Rossini 'The Thieving Magpie' Overture - Dudamel and the Vienna Philharmonic

Schubert 'Standchen' - Marcin Dylla (guitar)

Sibelius 'Finlandia' - Jukka Pakka Sarastre with the Finnish Radio Symphony

plus:

A wonderful full performance of Tchaikovsky's ballet 'The Nutcracker' by the Mariinsky Theatre 2012

The famous  'Tosca' (only part) 1964 - Maria Callas and' the evil' Tito Gobbi (English subtitles)

A surprisingly good outdoor complete 'Carmen' by Bizet - Opernfestspiele Sankt Margarethen 2005

and, lastly, as a 75 year old, I love a leading  tenor of a bygone age Giacomo Lauri Volpi singing in Barcelona at the age of 80 'Nessun Dorma'. He  had not sung in public for about 13 years and nothing could deflect him from singing 'Nessun Dorma' - and why not?

Thank you for your detailed posts. Makes me realize how much there is to explore and discover.

Oh, I am a total J. S. Bach addict. Mostly of all his organ works, and mostly of fugues. They just make sex to my ears… I do like his concertos too. Of course the BWV 565 would be a favorite of many, but just wonder if anybody listened beyond the first 12 bars or so. I tend to skip the Toccata and just jump down and enjoy the Fugue. I used to play it on the piano as a very young kid. Never played on a proper church organ. Wish I had. There are many beautiful pieces that Bach wrote, and if I would have to name one and it would be a fugue, it would be a “Little” fugue in G minor BWV 578.

I have great affinity to “Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi” from Carmina Burana, but that’s because it’s such a powerful piece, and it’s kind of personal for me. My mother was in the Philharmonic choir and I was at the age of 5 or 6 sitting in the front row of the main concert hall during the final rehearsals.  There was no such thing as child care back in those days. The rest of Carmina is rather boring to me.

Other than Bach, I like the Russian composes, like Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin, and of course Tchaikovsky. And not to be forgotten, like he once was, Edvard Grieg and his Peer Gynt suite. Closer to home. Prefer concerts as they will allow you to make your own interpretation of the music rather than operas, which will force you into a predetermined story…

Having said that, the voice of Maria Callas is so soothing, I will listen to her when feeling down… As I would to Robert Johnson.

All things said, I’m a music freak, enjoying classic, as well as blues, hard rock and heavy metal.

It all depends on the mood. But all things considered, Bach is still the King!

Going a little newer, Arvo Part and Goreki's Symphony #3 are deep music from the Eastern Euro heart, very soundtracky too. Likewise Voix Bulgeres are the most accessible intro to Early Music. (See also: Hildegarde of Bingen, my favorite sex music)

Preisner's Requiem For A Friend, portrayed in the film Tree of Life, is def worth a spliff-worthy Youtube.

19 hours ago, siftasam said:

This video is still downloadable at 1080p.  I'd watch this with my daughter when she was 2 years old.  Amongst other acts she loved the mouse king the most.  This is my all-time favourite version of The Nutcracker.  

• Like 1