Using Thailand debit cards overseas.

'How to' tell my Thailand bank that I want to use their debit card overseas?

Do I just walk into the next branch and 'let them know' (as I would do in my home country)?

Mind you, I wondered about calling (the relevant K-Bank) line, but I don't know which one, and also worry that something gets 'lost in translation', and my card will be blocked when overseas.

Have used last months my bangkok bank be1st card in norway, holland and paying via internet to klm and ebay.

No problem.

However, i had to call number on back of the card in november to ask bank reopen it.

Think they did something after many thais lost money on internet fraud last part of 2021.

• Like 2

I've been using Kasikorn ATM Visa card abroad for years.  I remember that initially I had to go to talk to the bank staff about enabling "online" purchases.  Since then, no issues.  Once I had a trouble using card in the USA (after using it without problems for months) and I called the Kasikorn bank number printed on the back of the card.  A lady with pretty much perfect English helped me and the card has been working without issues ever since.  It appears that even at that time, the issue was just "system maintenance."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farangnomore said:

I've been using Kasikorn ATM Visa card abroad for years.  I remember that initially I had to go to talk to the bank staff about enabling "online" purchases.  Since then, no issues.  Once I had a trouble using card in the USA (after using it without problems for months) and I called the Kasikorn bank number printed on the back of the card.  A lady with pretty much perfect English helped me and the card has been working without issues ever since.  It appears that even at that time, the issue was just "system maintenance."

That’s it. Thai Bank Debit Card with Visa or Mastercard Card Logo works automatically anywhere. Online Card Use needs bank branch personal visit.Annual Card Charge Fee 500 baht or so is auto deducted from account.

• Like 1

You must inform them or, if available on the app, you must turn or toggle on overseas usage as otherwise the card will work in Thailand only.

To mitigate potential losses and fraudulent transactions, I prefer to keep the majority of my funds in an account that has no card linked to it. The account linked to my debit card has a negligible balance. Nothing there to steal or worth hacking into ha ha. I simply do a real-time funds transfer when I need to use the card.

When in Europe, I use my German credit and debit cards. They have robust anti-fraud features (Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode) and the app allows one to turn on/off countries or even the card itself. The card can be "switched on" shortly before paying for something, then back to off after the transaction. Nifty feature there. 

• Like 2

Even things usually worked smoothly within TH, SE asian countries as well Europe aside with the visa or mastercard functions, sometimes get blocked “temporary” or suddenly / at certain ATMs / after online payments.

Since then I just opened some additional banks or a second card and have them all linked in Inter banking apps to move funds realtime if one somehow not works, or if i get discount using another. 

Calling kasikorn I always received fine phone support in english since many years ago already. Also do keep at least a copy if not the original of your passbooks as you always need those to verify yourself too when calling.

Bonus tip: add a savings account with no card to your internet banking app to hold primary funds, if your account with card does get skimmed, you only lose your minimum chosen balance you transfer from the app savings account, without a card. The cardless addition saving accounts are usually free too. 

This way i separate online less trusted payments that might try a recurring withdrawal or at tourist hotspots and the like.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

...but I doubt  you can use your Thai BC abroad..not in Europe...

I've certainly used a Kasikorn Debit card in Europe for ATM withdrawals and in stores, without any problems.

I hadn't notified the bank of my travels, for no other reason than I forgot to do so.

• Like 1

Without reading the entire posts, so not sure if already answered but I found my SCB debit card wouldn't even work on online purchases in Thailand a few days ago. Apparently on the 17th this month they made some change where you had to go into your settings and reset all of these things again, to say yes you want to be able to pay for domestic purchases, international purchases etc on your card. Was a typical Thai cock up, and must have happened to and confused a lot of people as we couldn't get through to their call center for 2 days. I had already checked the settings on the app and I couldn't find anything I could adjust. My missus ended up getting them to talk her through it over the phone and it was a convoluted process but sorted the problem. Just had to switch all these settings on again as their update turned them all off. I wouldn't bother going to the branch as in my experience they know jack shiz about anything, and usually just end up calling the help centre, and handing you back the phone

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I use my SCB daily in Canada, draining the account of it's last funds.

Have used it in the US, UK, Australia, no problems

How can you use it in the UK with the new 6 digit ATM number required ??  I acknowledge when it was only 4 digits my SCB card worked normally

I have an email which wont scan in but from SCB saying as soon as travel allows come into a branch and get it updated to six numbers (but that still rules out UK use subsequently)

Maybe my Debit Card has a lower or higher staus I have no idea ??

Edited by Chivas

9 hours ago, Chivas said:

How can you use it in the UK with the new 6 digit ATM number required ??  I acknowledge when it was only 4 digits my SCB card worked normally

I have an email which wont scan in but from SCB saying as soon as travel allows come into a branch and get it updated to six numbers (but that still rules out UK use subsequently)

Canada I currently use with a plug in type reader for the chip and confirm with PIN

US I used 3 years ago with a swipe

Australia last used about 5 years ago no problem

UK last used at least 10 years ago, so probably pre 6 digit code. No issues with shops or bank machines

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

I used my six digit PIN in the UK, in an ATM and Sainsbury's, and it worked just fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I used my six digit PIN in the UK, in an ATM and Sainsbury's, and it worked just fine.

Fair enough and thanks

Clearly once I've updated to 6 digits when I return it will then subsequently work in the UK