Zebra Crossings: Action demanded but is it "locking the stable door after the horse has bolted"?

webfact

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

the majority of English speaking countries have been calling pedestrian crossings marked by black and white stripes painted on the road "Zebra Crossings" for many many years and for extremely obvious reasons ; and we will go on calling them by an accepted, long used and universally (and internationally) understood name

In fact they’re only called that in the UK and a few former colonies. Definitely in the United States and Canada they’re universally called “crosswalks.” As a Canadian, when I first heard British people refer to “zebra crossings” I had to figure out what they were talking about. I think Singapore and India do call them zebra crossings. Australians say “pedestrian crossings.” This is a prime example of British people assuming their home-grown jargon is universal. (Another is VAT, for example. In many other countries that have value-added tax it’s called GST — Goods and Services Tax.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, billp said:

In fact they’re only called that in the UK and a few former colonies. Definitely in the United States and Canada they’re universally called “crosswalks.” As a Canadian, when I first heard British people refer to “zebra crossings” I had to figure out what they were talking about. I think Singapore and India do call them zebra crossings. Australians say “pedestrian crossings.” This is a prime example of British people assuming their home-grown jargon is universal. (Another is VAT, for example. In many other countries that have value-added tax it’s called GST — Goods and Services Tax.)

I'm surprised that you chaps in the Commonwealth countries (and former colonies) aren't up to speed with the latest Motherland developments.

We now have Zebras, Pelicans, Puffins, Toucans, and Pegasus crossings.

https://www.tameside.gov.uk/traffic/pedestriancrossings

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, billp said:

Who cares what its called.... Its perfectly obvious to anyone with a brain what it is and whats being discussed... 

There are so many different names in different countries for the same thing...  Do you also get uptight and butt hurt when brits use Pavement instead of Sidewalk, Boot instead of Trunk, Autumn instead of Fall, Trousers instead of Slacks... ( I could do this all day.... ).... 

... Dontchya just love the way Canuks spell Colour....   you’ll be upset to know thats from the Brits with most of your other spellings and colloquialism give the odd localised example.... (*as below).

Now then...  What on earth is a Parkade ?

OK... should we go further off topic and have debate about the origins of the word Farang, or can we get back on topic and stop all this pathetic semanticism when we know exactly what it is being discussed..

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I'm surprised that you chaps in the Commonwealth countries (and former colonies) aren't up to speed with the latest Motherland developments.

We now have Zebras, Pelicans, Puffins, Toucans, and Pegasus crossings.

https://www.tameside.gov.uk/traffic/pedestriancrossings

................and I thought only Thailand had a quest to confuse the rest of the world, you just showed us England (our motherland) has this mandate as well.  As long as they work, and are kept in UK, not a problem..........

Peace

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

17 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Whilst it is important that all motorists have to abide by the rules, pedestrians have to play their part as well. For example, when crossing a road you should keep looking right and left at all times paying  particularly attention to the direction the traffic is supposed to be coming from. You never just stare straight ahead or as many do these days, at their phone.

at all times paying  particularly attention to the direction the traffic is supposed to be coming from.

i'd say, pay particular attention to the direction the traffic is NOT supposed to be coming from...

4 hours ago, billp said:

Except in Thailand where it is called VAT.

In UK the crossings are now referred to as "pedestrian crossings"

Zebra (and Pelican) crossings are archaic colloquialisms.

As is "Belisha beacon" which was named after Leslie Hore-Belisha who was transport minister in the mid 1930s.

What I find is that most British English speakers have no difficulty in understanding linguistic variations from around the world, but my job involved guiding US Americans around UK and Europe and there abilities to understand anything outside US English were absolutely minimal.

British English is a lot bigger than many realise as it is close to English used in India (about 125 million as first language), Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and even Canada as well as West Indies, the rAfrican Nations and Ireland.....all variants but as they kept in touch with the rest of the world are much more up to date than poor old US English which was isolated for about 150 years.....and run by nonEnglish speakers and the poorly educated

Edited by Thunglom

6 hours ago, billp said:

This is a prime example of British people assuming their home-grown jargon is universal. (Another is VAT, for example. In many other countries that have value-added tax it’s called GST — Goods and Services Tax.)

I have found the USA people often behave the same way, hardly surprising. 

8 hours ago, it is what it is said:

at all times paying  particularly attention to the direction the traffic is supposed to be coming from.

i'd say, pay particular attention to the direction the traffic is NOT supposed to be coming from...

Theres a saying here... “look both ways when crossing a one way street” !!! - the reasons are obvious. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Why is he in a temple and not in a prison for manslaughter?

Note that the Temple authorities have made a public statement that they don't recognize his attempts to make merit for the Dr. he killed. 

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have found the USA people often behave the same way, hardly surprising. 

A simple example; always referencing events against seasons (e.g. in the fall of 2019). The reality is that folks who are not from the USA don't readily know when winter, summer, spring, autumn (fall) starts / stops in the USA, and don't really want to know these details.

In terms of foreigners retired in the LOS Americans are the 3rd largest group, with Brits and Germans way ahead in numbers. And of course thousands of good folks from many other European countries, and quite a few from Asian countries.

Why not just mention the name of the month(s)?

15 hours ago, greeneking said:

These walks can make me very cross.  Is that what you mean?

Zebra crossings are observed better by cars, especially when supported by red traffic lights, but even here motorbikes think they do not apply to them.

In China and some countries in Africa, there are so many Motorcycles and Bicycles, they have stop lights at crosswalks just for them, lower to the ground, and turn red/green at different times than the cars - of course, they only allow motorbike and push bikes to run in their own lanes - not gonna happen in Thailand for another 20 years or so.   I have lived/worked in 37 countries, and Thailand surprisingly has a smaller ratio of Motorcycles to cars in almost all the others...........there used to be a 75% import tax on moto's in Thailand, that kept the amount down.  Guess that has gone by the wayside.    Peace

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Theres a saying here... “look both ways when crossing a one way street” !!! - the reasons are obvious. 

We were taught, "Look left, Look right, look left again, then cross".  It was drilled oin our heads, 65 years later I am still doing it.  In Saigon, you start crossing and keep walking, Do Not Stop, or you will get hit, if you keep walking, it is like The Parting of the Seas, everyone goes around you like magic.  Sort of a symphony..................Peace

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

A simple example; always referencing events against seasons (e.g. in the fall of 2019). The reality is that folks who are not from the USA don't readily know when winter, summer, spring, autumn (fall) starts / stops in the USA, and don't really want to know these details.

I recall one of my first trips to USA, in upstate NY. A girl I chatted to asked, 'you are from the UK... ... is it winter there now too, the same as here?'

• Like 1

Zebra Crossings: Action demanded but is it "locking the stable door after the horse has bolted"?

1, There's no such thing with traffic accidents as there are always more that can happen.  Not sure where the idea for this headline came from.

2, "Locking the stable door" suggests they are about to embark on an action that would have prevented the original incident, or "stopped the horse from bolting".

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who cares what its called.... Its perfectly obvious to anyone with a brain what it is and whats being discussed... 

What I was reacting to is the idea that the British jargon is “universal,” “international standard.” It’s not. Far from it. Of course we understand (or can figure out) that a zebra crossing is a crosswalk, a lorry is a truck, a jumper is a sweater (and not a little girl’s sleeveless dress), but a good chunk of the world does not use those terms.

Oh and by the way, reacting to another posting, Canadian English tends to be straight-out North American Standard, not British, despite a few variant spellings that follow the British style. 

On 1/31/2022 at 5:16 AM, greeneking said:

These walks can make me very cross.  Is that what you mean?

Zebra crossings are observed better by cars, especially when supported by red traffic lights, but even here motorbikes think they do not apply to them.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:31 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Incredible... no one ever thought of that... no on any of the past ‘pedestrian crossing’ crack downs... 

In Pattaya the eventually turned them off..... 

How is a lowly policeman going to fine a hi-so businessman for not stopping to allow a street beggar to cross the road ???....   Cameras at the crossings ??? no one pays any of their fines anyway ??? We have stacks of speeding fines....  nothing is ever done about them. 

Thailand’s traffic is just too immature and uncivilised....   A foot bridge is the only option... 

It could be argued that those in wheelchairs can’t use them, but lets face it the vast majority of pavements (sidewalks) are simply unnavigable for anyone in a wheelchair anyway they can’t get to the crossings in the first place. 

A lot needs to be done - it starts with reeducating everyone and forcing a cultural shift through effective policing. 

On 1/31/2022 at 6:31 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Well, it works in Saigon, why not Bangkok:    https://www.facebook.com/100005605333645/videos/262972995914902