Interesting for the older guys (and me of course)

robblok

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729

Doing lots of exercise in older age can prevent the immune system from declining and protect people against infections, scientists say.

They followed 125 long-distance cyclists, some now in their 80s, and found they had the immune systems of 20-year-olds.

Prof Norman Lazarus, 82, of King's College London, who took part in and co-authored the research, said: "If exercise was a pill, everyone would be taking it.

"It has wide-ranging benefits for the body, the mind, for our muscles and our immune system."

See the rest of the article.

Basically great for those that exercise especially some of the people doing a lot of cycling. Did not expect that much of a difference. Nice to read articles like that. Also read that the metabolic rate slows down but far later then most think. Also good news

• Metabolism rates don’t significantly decline until a person reaches their late 50s to 60s.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/when-does-your-metabolism-significantly-decline-its-later-than-you-think

• Like 2

Most of my exercise robblok is using my right hand ...let me clarify Typing on here. Oh and every day a mile on bicycle and a mile back from Ban Hoi. In 16 days time I will be 75 and compared to my folks who loved walking I am doing pretty good.  Saying that it is a fact that we live longer now . 19th into 20th Century 50 was old.

I remember on a visit to the Netherlands in 1968 just how many rode bicycles , of couse it is flat there so no excuses.

Easier said than done, many of us will not start exercising seriously unless the doctor tells them to do or get sicker, i had an open heart surgery so i don't have a choice but others seems to like to wait for the last moment...

Just now, toofarnorth said:

Most of my exercise robblok is using my right hand ...let me clarify Typing on here. Oh and every day a mile on bicycle and a mile back from Ban Hoi. In 16 days time I will be 75 and compared to my folks who loved walking I am doing pretty good.  Saying that it is a fact that we live longer now . 19th into 20th Century 50 was old.

I remember on a visit to the Netherlands in 1968 just how many rode bicycles , of couse it is flat there so no excuses.

I think all kind of exercise is good, but im a fake Dutch guy, i hate cycling. Did it enough as a kid going to school. My dad loves it though and he is in far better shape then my mom who does not do exercise at all.

But I was amazed about this news though, i mean i knew exercise was good but that it made that much of a difference is amazing. Still not a big fan of the cardio type exercise. Though I did include it and it helped me sleep better.

Also like the fact that metabolic rate does not slow down as early as we think.  Just got this from the Dutch newspaper i read and then looked fot English source material. Thought i post it here. The exercise forum does not get much love.

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

Easier said than done, many of us will not start exercising seriously unless the doctor tells them to do or get sicker, i had an open heart surgery so i don't have a choice but others seems to like to wait for the last moment...

Actually that is really true, my dad started his cycling after a heart operation. Its not as if I am in love with exercise. Its just a habit i like the weight lifting not the cardio stuff. Though I include it now too. But i think its just a habit one has to build.

But I get it its not for everyone, though I am amazed that there are quite a few guys like @scubascuba3 and @WaveHunter who bike a lot. I cant imagine myself putting that much time into it. So these guys really impress me. I do enough but not close to those amounts of time.

But even walking or swimming helps. I think its often a matter of finding something you like and sticking with it. Anything is better then nothing IMHO. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind exercising and i seriously need it, since i started to get winded just by walking stairs.

BMI 26 so not super overweigt, just the regular beer belly that is hard to lose when getting older.

I'm sure im skinny/fat as well, so that would be a good reason to start exercising too.

What stops me is that i can't seem to find the free time to do it.

After getting home from work i'm not feeling like i have the energy or time to insert time for exercise.

So i tell myself that when i retire, i will start exercising.

5 minutes ago, Virt said:

I wouldn't mind exercising and i seriously need it, since i started to get winded just by walking stairs.

BMI 26 so not super overweigt, just the regular beer belly that is hard to lose when getting older.

I'm sure im skinny/fat as well, so that would be a good reason to start exercising too.

What stops me is that i can't seem to find the free time to do it.

After getting home from work i'm not feeling like i have the energy or time to insert time for exercise.

So i tell myself that when i retire, i will start exercising.

It has more effect if you start before retiring, but yes many have problems find the time and energy to exercise.  Its quite common.

• Like 1

Walking, swimming, rowing, padling, heavy bag and boxing ball, and of course weight training. 

A little bit of everything, at last once and awhile a bit  off-road motorbike for a bit more excitement when to bored

Edited by Hummin