Thai berry pickers and Finnish justice

webfact

The dependent was also to pay his 26 victims a (cumulative?) total of 200,000 euros in lost earnings and other compensation.

Give Finland's judicial system and anti-traff8cking advocates credit to get a Supreme review that reversed the lower and appeals courts for justice. 

Note there appears to be no mention of Thailand embassy involement in the initial complaint nor judicial challenges. Does Thailand have a weakness for human trafficking?

Albeit, Finnish health authorities and Thailand's embassy there did cooperate to determine how in 2021 more than 400 Thai pickers have Covid 19. It appears none were infected until after being cleared after camp testing on arrival.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/09/16

• Like 1

"For ordinary Thais, the news was flabbergasting, as they normally consider Finland to be a paradise and one of the world’s most liveable countries, with everything at a high standard. Clean air, great education, nice forests and no human rights violation, let alone human trafficking."

............and they thought they'd escaped and left all that **** behind them?

"These are familiar stories for Thai labourers overseas."

.............and also for immigrant labourers in Thailand.

Hopefully the ordinary Thais will have taken note as to how it has been dealt with in Finland, and will demand similar justice in their own country, for foreigners in similar circumstances.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, webfact said:

For ordinary Thais, the news was flabbergasting, as they normally consider Finland to be a paradise and one of the world’s most liveable countries

I certainly don't think that. It's the most miserable country I've ever worked in, and mixed with the darkness and cold in winter, I'll never go back. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I certainly don't think that. It's the most miserable country I've ever worked in, and mixed with the darkness and cold in winter, I'll never go back. 

I'm not surprised at that as I spent some time up there, and of course there is the SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) syndrome to worry about, which can cause depression in people – – not a place I will ever visit again.

The only Finnish people I know of here are two guys who are permanently drunk, plus two others who drank themselves to death!!! They do seem to like their booze.

Wow  - 18 months in a luxury Finnish jail at the taxpayers expense..... that will really teach them.... 

""For ordinary Thais, the news was flabbergasting, as they normally consider Finland to be a paradise and one of the world’s most liveable countries, with everything at a high standard. Clean air, great education, nice forests "

On 2/4/2022 at 9:44 PM, webfact said:

For ordinary Thais, the news was flabbergasting, as they normally consider Finland to be a paradise and one of the world’s most liveable countries, with everything at a high standard. Clean air, great education, nice forests and no human rights violation, let alone human trafficking.

That's news to me even though I was born and raised there.

Air quality, education system and national parks are far superior to those of Thailand though. Still I would guess most Thais haven't ever even heard of the place.

• Like 1

Hang on - I saw an Al-Jazeera program on this, and whilst the Thais worked long hours and were exploited, some were still looking forward to returning the following year despite the difficult work.

I don't think the BBC has created a balanced program in at least 25 years sadly.

• Like 1