COVID-19: Thailand reports 10,490 new coronavirus cases, 21 deaths, 8,479 recoveries

webfact

COV5.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Saturday (February 5) reported 10,490 new COVID-19 cases, 8,479 recoveries and 21 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 10,273. Prisons: 217

▶︎ Recoveries: 8,479

Saturday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,486,122 with 22,271 deaths.

The news comes as the number of COVID-infected foreign tourists is rising in Phuket in proportion to more arrivals and some visitors failed to undergo RT-PCR tests before their flights to the island province.

Phuket deputy governor Pichet Panawong said that from Nov 1, 2021, to Feb 1, 2022, there were 4,369 COVID-19 cases among visitors who entered Phuket through Test & Go and Sandbox schemes.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update5FEB).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-05

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

How is that even possible.  Are there actually airlines not requiring a PCR or Antigen Test prior to flying?

Below may explain part of it. From the Thaiger yesterday morning. It's running in another thread:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-thailand/cv19-phuket/phuket-officials-alarmed-by-number-of-tourists-testing-positive-on-arrival

Edited by Rhacsyn
Add

24 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Below may explain part of it. From the Thaiger yesterday morning. It's running in another thread:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-thailand/cv19-phuket/phuket-officials-alarmed-by-number-of-tourists-testing-positive-on-arrival

Fake PCR tests before departure, I suspected that could be just one of the reasons. I was speaking to a couple of Russian tourists, young couple in a cafe last week, they said many who come over from Russia just have fake vaccination certificates.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

All my friends and most of the girls I know have had it.  I have not.  2 Moderna and a booster maybe is why?  I think just probably lucky.

Just yesterday saw 2 or 3 articles about people who don't seem to catch it when everyone around them does, the most interesting being members of families all in the same household. Hopefully the researchers will get an idea why and use that in future vaccines.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

All my friends and most of the girls I know have had it.  I have not.  2 Moderna and a booster maybe is why?  I think just probably lucky.

you probably have had it but didn't notice, I had a mild runny nose last week and a few muscle aches - tested negative but quite frankly do not believe the negative test, I stayed isolated in my home for 6 days., it is extremely unlikely you can avoid omicron , whether you notice or not is questionable

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, smedly said:

you probably have had it but didn't notice, I had a mild runny nose last week and a few muscle aches - tested negative but quite frankly do not believe the negative test, I stayed isolated in my home for 6 days., it is extremely unlikely you can avoid omicron , whether you notice or not is questionable

Blimey if that was the criteria for taking a test I'd have to do one every day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Fake PCR tests before departure, I suspected that could be just one of the reasons. I was speaking to a couple of Russian tourists, young couple in a cafe last week, they said many who come over from Russia just have fake vaccination certificates.

Not wishing to cast aspersions, but here is another story, along the same lines, from the governor of Phuket (published a few days back)

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/most-phuket-tourists-infected-with-covid-travelled-from-russia-and-kazakhstan

Prison cases seem to be flat-lined for a week or so now with roughly 220 cases per Day.

Kind of smacks of only roughly 220 tests per Day being performed, and if that is the case among the 310 K persons in Jail, then its a fair bet to assume that the number of cases within the general population is relative to the amount of tests performed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The news comes as the number of COVID-infected foreign tourists is rising in Phuket in proportion to more arrivals and some visitors failed to undergo RT-PCR tests before their flights to the island province.

Nice foreigner-bashing! A couple of Covid-infected foreigners are spotlighted, never mind the daily 10,000+ Thais who newly contract the disease in hotspots like markets... Not to mention the "Covid-positive" tourists, allegedly 3-10% of flight passengers, while internationally this number is more like 0.75-1.5%.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I am somewhat surprised that the RTG hasn’t moved to situation where all RT-PCRs that will be used for travel to TH *must* be from one of a specifically listed lab/hospital that the RTG approves.

At least this way, there’s a limit number of test results that would be classified as acceptable - and it might be possible that the lab/hospital uploads the test results directly - thus bypassing “touching” the passenger.  

while I don’t think you’ll ever root out 100% of fakes, I think by limiting the issuing entities, this will help and it should also make it easier at check-in, to determine what’s legit and what’s not.

38 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yea seems a little crazy. According to statistics on some days those testing positive do so on the 5th day test so they've already been on holiday in Phuket for 5 days. More than likely caught it here.

"According to the latest statistics for international arrivals, 3.77% of Test & Go arrivals and 3.88% of Sandbox arrivals tested positive. For some nationalities, the rate is much higher. Most are testing positive on their second test after holidaying in #Thailand for five days."

FJh00YXakAI57FJ.jpg.5ed1bc9863286d6e839f3c6ec2816194.jpg

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1484064530233978880

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1485398107726954498

The only reason that day 5 Test and Go positives are so low is that there are so few Test and Go tourists this week. In a couple of weeks, positives will be much higher. 

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Prison cases seem to be flat-lined for a week or so now with roughly 220 cases per Day.

Kind of smacks of only roughly 220 tests per Day being performed, and if that is the case among the 310 K persons in Jail, then its a fair bet to assume that the number of cases within the general population is relative to the amount of tests performed.

Omicron 1 in the prison system = massive spread. Omicron 2 in the prison system = > than massive spread. 200 or so a day. Nup. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Who'd want to travel on fake PCR certificate knowing that if you get to Thailand and test positive your interred at your expense for 10+ days. I'd rather get a real PCR positive in my departure country and postpone the trip.

"and test positive your interred at your expense for 10+ days."

As I have mentioned before, if someone is a tourist and they want to inter them for 10+ days, just warn them that you only have enough for daily living expenses, and the rest of their money is in your home bank, and you cannot pay them,

What can they do, deport you? Then fine, what else can they do? Jail you?? There are instances when insurance companies won't pay out, ie you were sitting next to someone on the plane who tested positive.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Nice foreigner-bashing! A couple of Covid-infected foreigners are spotlighted, never mind the daily 10,000+ Thais who newly contract the disease in hotspots like markets... Not to mention the "Covid-positive" tourists, allegedly 3-10% of flight passengers, while internationally this number is more like 0.75-1.5%.

Of course, they’ll always apportion blame, that’s how they roll. I find it incredulous how people are getting in without a pcr test despite the Thai Pass requirements?

But… find it more bizarre that this is still a thing. It’s 10x that number, AT LEAST, that are getting infected nationwide. And again, whatever, it’s still a non thing in the great scheme of things. Problem is, it’s silly tat like this that’ll have that perp closing the country again. 

• Like 2

Thailand reports 10,470 new COVID-19 cases, 12 deaths, 8,711 recoveries

COV7.JPG

File photo

Thailand on Monday (February 7) reported 10,470 new COVID-19 cases, 8,711 recoveries and 12 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1249361-thailand-reports-10470-new-covid-19-cases-12-deaths-8711-recoveries/ 

//CLOSED//

/Admin