Any recommendations on Thai REIT funds?

5 minutes ago, david_je said:

s this a good time to buy? Do you have recommendations for specific funds? Where would I find expert opinions of good buys?

Thanks.

I am a former financial consultant with both Merrill Lynch and UBS.  Plus a former head of trust division for a major U.S. bank. 

There is zero chance I would ever invest in any fund here in Thailand.  I don't even keep much in the local Thai banks transferring only my social security each month. 

You have the country run by a group after a coup and there is next to zero in terms of accountability in the way of financial oversight.  Look at the USA where you have accounting standards, the Securities & Exchange commission, the office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Financial Services Regulatory Authority, The Securities Investor Protection Corporation all monitoring and regulating the securities sold in the USA. 

Despite that, you still end up with the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme, Enron, and most recently Theranos.  And you really believe that somehow that investors in Thailand do not risk a huge chance of being fleeced.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Despite that, you still end up with the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme, Enron, and most recently Theranos. 

Do you see any risks of anarchy upending the system in USA? I have been bringing more cash over here gradually and keeping it in baht... though that is maybe only 10% of my holdings... 

If looking to draw up a shortlist, I'd suggest start looking at the holdings of funds here such as K-PROPI, TMBPIPF, SCBPINA.  One would like to think that the fund managers have chosen sensibly.  (Note that the holdings for these are not all in Thailand.)

https://www.morningstarthailand.com/th/screener/fund.aspx#?filtersSelectedValue={"categoryId":{"id":"THCA000046"}}&page=1&sortField=starRatingM255&sortOrder=desc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

If looking to draw up a shortlist, I'd suggest start looking at the holdings of funds here such as K-PROPI, TMBPIPF, SCBPINA.  One would like to think that the fund managers have chosen sensibly.  (Note that the holdings for these are not all in Thailand.)

https://www.morningstarthailand.com/th/screener/fund.aspx#?filtersSelectedValue={"categoryId":{"id":"THCA000046"}}&page=1&sortField=starRatingM255&sortOrder=desc

That's a good idea, thanks.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:54 PM, david_je said:

What do you base these choices on? Thanks.

I think we can expect the Singapore reits to rise up again once they reopen.  They should be safe investments with a steady  dividend and a return of 4-10% per year not more. There is some good diversity there too. Most of the reits in Canada and the USA are too high and due for a correction.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:49 AM, Don Chance said:

If you are investing in REITS make sure that you invest in one where the assets are mostly held freehold- there are a lot of leasehold REITS out there which they the market does not seem to full comprehend that it is a depreciating asset at the lease reduces its length. Not quite sure what the long term prospects are for some of the REITS which are backed by leasehold property.

A small quantity of leasehold in a REIT is fine, as long as you get higher return to reflect the increased risk.