Over One Million Kilograms of Pork Seized From Warehouse Inspections

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

reports from the DLD have shown wholesale pork prices dropping to about 100-104 baht per kg, retail prices at malls falling to 160-166 baht per kg, and retail prices for consumers currently hovering around 198-208 baht per kg.

Any idea what they mean by "retail prices at malls", and how that differs from "retail prices for consumers"?

"January 20 to February 4, 2022, 24.48 million kg", that is 15 days or 12 working days. Given eight hours working it reads 255'000kgs per hour. My goodness gracious you, that's a lot of work for the laboratory ........ every hour 255 tons, all over Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, wombat said:

I'm amazed that an off the cuff statement by old mate in exile has had the flow on effect ramifications that it has?

It would seem that geaography does not effect his presence and indeed influence here.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

In my neck of the woods local slaughter houses kill/butcher and load the meat onto pick-ups which then go direct to the markets stalls... eaten the same day.

When I first came to Thailand, back in 1998, "fresh" raw pork was 'on display' in the hot sun, all day, outside of a shop near Asoke. - I walked by there in the morning. When I went back in the afternoon, the same pork was still on display...

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

In my neck of the woods local slaughter houses kill/butcher and load the meat onto pick-ups which then go direct to the markets stalls... eaten the same day.

Same here. The pickup makes its way through our moo ban every morning around 6 am.

"Moo ma laew kap, moo ma laew kap, moo sod sod"

It was a little higher in past months, now is back to around 100 baht/kg.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I've got 20 Kilo's in my Freezer's; am i hoarding ?

What happens to all the 'seized' Pork; have all the Generals and Top Civil Servants now got full Freezer's ?

Be careful.  Daam Ruat Muu will come looking for you.

34 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I've got 20 Kilo's in my Freezer's; am i hoarding ?

What happens to all the 'seized' Pork; have all the Generals and Top Civil Servants now got full Freezer's ?

I suspect it was hurriedly put onto the market before the price went down too much.

Those freezers you mention will come in handy to store the cash until the opportunity to "export it" presents itself.

7 hours ago, DezLez said:

So I wonder how fresh our "fresh" pork really is?

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Madam Moon buys our pork straight off the pick up when it delivers to our village. You can't get it any fresher than that without slaughtering the pig yourself.

And it's delicious!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

When I first came to Thailand, back in 1998, "fresh" raw pork was 'on display' in the hot sun, all day, outside of a shop near Asoke. - I walked by there in the morning. When I went back in the afternoon, the same pork was still on display...

One piece of belly pork looks much the same as another piece to my untrained eye. So how can you be so sure that the meat you saw in the afternoon was the same as that on offer in the morning?

Surely the vendor wasn't going to leave it out there all day unless he was sure of having customers to buy it. As already mentioned, Thais like their pork to be really fresh.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

One piece of belly pork looks much the same as another piece to my untrained eye. So how can you be so sure that the meat you saw in the afternoon was the same as that on offer in the morning?

Fair enough. I can't. I didn't see any customers, though. Perhaps, just a few moments after I passed the shop, someone found this display of unrefrigerated pork so appealing that he bought the whole lot...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Fair enough. I can't. I didn't see any customers, though. Perhaps, just a few moments after I passed the shop, someone found this display of unrefrigerated pork so appealing that he bought the whole lot...

There's nothing wrong with buying unrefrigerated pork as long as it is fresh and used, or frozen on the same day. Many Thais do it regularly, including my wife who buys it off the back of an unrefrigerated pick up.

She's has no complaints from me thus far.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Although I did not state it, I meant how fresh was the advertised "fresh" pork from the big distributors or supermarkets etc.

I do assume that our "local" markets are mostly fresh!

(assuming of course that yesterday's unsold "fresh" products have not been stored under the sales cart overnight!)

:partytime2:

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Madam Moon buys our pork straight off the pick up when it delivers to our village. You can't get it any fresher than that without slaughtering the pig yourself.

And it's delicious!

Also not inspected for parasites etc because it is  usually "home  kill" and " home reared" whereas the pork sold in major chain outlets is because it has been through certified abattoirs ! Even then there is no guarantee for those brave enough to eat raw pork !

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

Although I did not state it, I meant how fresh was the advertised "fresh" pork from the big distributors or supermarkets etc.

I do assume that our "local" markets are mostly fresh!

(assuming of course that yesterday's unsold "fresh" products have not been stored under the sales cart overnight!)

:partytime2:

Very difficult to answer.

Most supermarkets are stocked via warehouses.

The pork most likely is butchered/processes/packaged at a large slaughter house, which is then given appropriate labels and delivered to regional warehouses and stored, in either cold/frozen facilities.

As the supermarkets place an order for re-stocking it will be shipped according to sell by dates.

One would imaging that it is stored almost frozen if not actually frozen for days before final shipping.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:
6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

2 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Also not inspected for parasites etc because it is  usually "home  kill" and " home reared" whereas the pork sold in major chain outlets is because it has been through certified abattoirs ! Even then there is no guarantee for those brave enough to eat raw pork !

The very fact that this thread exists at all would indicate that there is something not quite right with supply chain of pork meat in this country.

We in our small village probably have the shortest supply chain one can have and as we've been using it for some 5 years now without incident, it would suggest that we've got it right.

As long, as you say, we don't eat it raw. Fat chance of that! (washing ones hands after handling it probably a good idea too)

• Thanks 1