Anyone know a cheap / free app for making international calls to a landline?

Kenny202

On 2/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, Kenny202 said:

I think that's the problem with Viber now...... your credit did used to last forever. I think 2c per minute to Australia. Simply top up when you need to. But now its a monthly thing. Still not that expensive I guess but when you buy credit only good for a month. After the month lose all your credit and payment renews automatically

Try VOIP buster ( just google it) that works with example 10 euro upload in my case and very low for landline ....even when giving a number from your country as reference it is for me 0.05 eurocent to landline ....money is not expiring by month ...stay until used

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnnieB said:

Using Skype to Australia for years now. Reliable, clear, very cheap, easy to use and can call landlines. I’m pretty sure there is no expiry date for your credit?

As far as I know the Skype credit doesn't expire, but becomes "inactive"  after 6 months if not used, but can be reactivated again.

I bought $250 worth of gift cards from Woolworths for half price years ago and loaded them all in my Skype account, still have tons of credit left.

Having Skype credit is priceless in difficult circumstances, I had cases spending hours talking to airlines from airports where I didn't have local SIM card. Would cost a fortune to call otherwise.

Another little trick is that you can load credit with discounted Skype gift cards and then pay a monthly subscription with the credit.

• Thanks 1

I used skype for more than a decade. As I need to keep a US number, I also opted for Google FI service a few years ago when I was globe trotting (now suspended due to Covid restrictions in various countries and my health). I now hardly use skype and can use Google FI when ever I need to call from outside the US (e.g. Thailand) and if someone needs to call me from US to my US number, I can pick it up anywhere in the World. Of course, Google FI minimum is expensive ($20) and but it serves my purposes of accessing any line (mobile/land) from anywhere in the World and when I am not in the US, they can also call my US number (Google FI number).

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Try VOIP buster ( just google it) that works with example 10 euro upload in my case and very low for landline ....even when giving a number from your country as reference it is for me 0.05 eurocent to landline ....money is not expiring by month ...stay until used

Please note that VOIPbuster as well as VOIPraider mentioned by @ChipButty and VOIPdiscount mentioned by @OishiRefill are listed in the price comparison chart I talked about in this post:

Actually they are all owned by the same parent company Delmont which uses different brands to target different (regional) markets. I have been using them for many years with their windows and Android apps and it works as advertised with decent sound quality. If you get the 90 or 120 days (for some brands) free days, your top up credit stays untouched and you can use it later to make calls to countries not covered as free.

I have never found am overall less expensive provider than the Delmont companies. My favorite all-rounder of the Delmont brands is FreeVoipDeal - it gives you the 120 day free days deal if you top up 10 Euros and if you only call the free countries like Thailand, US, Canada and many more, your 10 Euro credit will be there forever and not become invalid.

This way I accumulated a good amount of credit which I used to distribute to my friends in the form of mobile top ups which you can also do with these providers worldwide, f.e. to mobiles in the Philippines. Thailand or even Uganda. F.e. I use the service for 360 days (=3x 120 days freedays = 3x 10 Euros = 30 Euro accumulated credit) which i can then transfer as mobile phone credit - though not 1 to 1 - to the delight of my friends.

Disclaimer: I used to be in the international phone business with my own company many years ago.

Edited by Barley
  • Thanks 2

On 2/7/2022 at 8:19 AM, gamb00ler said:

That is true.

After I had used Google Voice for several years, they started periodically asking me to re-verify my landline/cell.  Fortunately I could use an Ooma device to re-verify.  I haven't had to re-verify GV for over a year so maybe they've abandoned that policy.  Once you've verified a US based number hopefully they won't ask again.  Perhaps you can use the number for a US based relative/friend to get GV up and running.

No they have not changed the requirement.  You still require a US SMS capable number to sign up and to verify (one time) on the app. 

US VoIP numbers (that anyone can get) that are SMS capable may also work but YMMV.

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Google FI when ever I need to call from outside the US (e.g. Thailand) and if someone needs to call me from US to my US number, I can pick it up anywhere in the World. Of course, Google FI minimum is expensive ($20) and but it serves my purposes of accessing any line (mobile/land) from anywhere in the World and when I am not in the US, they can also call my US number (Google FI number).

Taxes and fees run 10% - 20%.  So $22 - $24.

You can get a similar type of service with a pre-paid provider like UltraMobile or USMobile, both of which support WiFi calling. UltraMobile is $3/month (100 minutes/100 texts). But these don't provide Fi's global GSM roaming capabilities, or the 10 GB of monthly data.

I often consider porting one of my Google Voice numbers over to Fi. Keep waiting for a decent promotion.

VoIP rates are, generally speaking, governed by the termination fees in the called country. These vary by line type (fixed/mobile) and country. The calling from country is not a factor, other than say the local internet access fee structure.

Edited by mtls2005

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

No they have not changed the requirement.  You still require a US SMS capable number to sign up and to verify (one time) on the app. 

Some have reported success using a free service like Talkatone, and a VPN to register here for GV. I signed up for both of my GV numbers while in the U.S.

Others have asked a friend/family member to register for them. Maybe even buy an UltraMobile SIM ($13 on eBay), have them activate it and register for a new GV number using the UM number, then mail the UM SIM here.

For those moving permanently from the U.S to thailand recommend porting an existing mobile number out to GV

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Barley said:

Please note that VOIPbuster as well as VOIPraider mentioned by @ChipButty and VOIPdiscount mentioned by @OishiRefill are listed in the price comparison chart I talked about in this post:

Actually they are all owned by the same parent company Delmont which uses different brands to target different (regional) markets. I have been using them for many years with their windows and Android apps and it works as advertised with decent sound quality. If you get the 90 or 120 days (for some brands) free days, your top up credit stays untouched and you can use it later to make calls to countries not covered as free.

I have never found am overall less expensive provider than the Delmont companies. My favorite all-rounder of the Delmont brands is FreeVoipDeal - it gives you the 120 day free days deal if you top up 10 Euros and if you only call the free countries like Thailand, US, Canada and many more, your 10 Euro credit will be there forever and not become invalid.

This way I accumulated a good amount of credit which I used to distribute to my friends in the form of mobile top ups which you can also do with these providers worldwide, f.e. to mobiles in the Philippines. Thailand or even Uganda. F.e. I use the service for 360 days (=3x 120 days freedays = 3x 10 Euros = 30 Euro accumulated credit) which i can then transfer as mobile phone credit - though not 1 to 1 - to the delight of my friends.

Disclaimer: I used to be in the international phone business with my own company many years ago.

Most helpful, many thanks. Just had a quick look. I want to phone United Kingdom from Thailand. With FreeVoipDeal do you have to phone from one of the listed Countries considered to be 'EU' in order to get the free calling?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Barley said:

Sorry i mentioned Voip buster to help O.P.......i did not knew you had exclusivity on helping .....????????????????

Anyway thanks for comfirming my best choise for Voip ....????

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

US VoIP numbers (that anyone can get) that are SMS capable may also work but YMMV.

I was not referring to the initial sign up.  Several times after having GV for years, I was asked to re-verify.  That is the requirement I was talking about.  For more than a year, I haven't been asked to re-verify.

2 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Several times after having GV for years, I was asked to re-verify.

Have two GV numbers, never seen this.

3 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

For more than a year, I haven't been asked to re-verify.

OK, I'm confused.

You can manage GV from a PC/browser: https://voice.google.com

You can get a free number from many sources, like Talkatone, and then use that to "link". Or you can change this.

Settings, Account.

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 2:12 AM, Barley said:

www.freevoipdeal.com - excellent! 120 days is outstanding! Even better than https://www.voipdiscount.com/buy_credit2/ which I'd been using  Thank you for sharing the information. Have signed up and setting up service right now. Cheers, @Barley

Edited by OishiRefill
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, The Fugitive said:

Most helpful, many thanks. Just had a quick look. I want to phone United Kingdom from Thailand. With FreeVoipDeal do you have to phone from one of the listed Countries considered to be 'EU' in order to get the free calling?

You can originate the call from anywhere. And by the way you can also set a number that the calling party sees on their phone, after you verified one or several from which you can choose, and the service also allows you to send SMS, though not receive, and sending SMS is not free. And I did mention worldwide top ups before, didn't I? ????

• Thanks 1