Thailand’s Royal Gazette announces updated list of Narcotic Act, removing parts of cannabis

snoop1130

S__37453989-696x522.jpg

The Royal Gazette last night, February 9th, has published the Ministry of Public Health’s announcement of the list of Category 5 drugs in the Narcotic Act, removing parts of cannabis and hemp from narcotic drugs.

The announcement, issued on February 8th, would be effective in 120 days or around June 8th, 2022.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/10/thailands-royal-gazette-announces-updated-list-of-narcotic-act-removing-parts-of-cannabis-and-hemp-from-narcotic-drugs/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-02-10

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

This whole Cannabis fiasco is nothing but a elaborate scam - Thailand the Hub of scams .............LOL 

How so?

If it's a scam there will be no tax revenue or income potential...

And it would be a rather elaborate scam, considering the law amendment has been published in the Royal Gazette

Edited by bobbin

There are many, many, many "laws" here.

Interpretation, application and enforcement of "laws" is left to those at the top end of the pyramid to "interpret".

There is a follow-on bill being prepared to deal with some of the issues.

As of today, and even after June 8, 2022, it is illegal to produce (grow) - unless authorized by the government - possess, distribute and use cannabis with a THC content greater than 0.2%, unless prescribed though the GPO.

47 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

Maybe I can look at them all day and imagine.

Even that would be illegal.

This proclamation simply stated, removes cannabis seeds, stems, leaves, roots even flowers with THC levels at or below 0.2% from the current list (addendum) of substances covered by the Narcotics Act. That's it. You cannot grow cannabis, there are no cannabis sandboxes, you cannot smoke cannabis, and those OG Kush gummies are not real. You can nosh on some leaves.

Narcotics Act, B.E. 2522

narcotics means any form of chemicals or substances which, upon being consumed whether by taking orally, inhaling, smoking, injecting or by whatever means, causes physiological or mental effect in a significant manner such as need of continual increase of dosage, having withdrawal symptoms when deprived of the narcotics, strong physical and mental need of dosage and the health in general being deteriorated, and also includes plant or parts of plants which are or give product as narcotics or may be used to produce narcotics and chemicals used for the production of such narcotics as notified by the Minister in the Government Gazette(5), but excludes certain formula of household medicine under the law on drugs which contain narcotic ingredients;

"produce" means cultivate, plant, manufacture, mix, prepare, denature, transform,synthesize by scientific means and includes repackaging or combine-packaging ;
"dispose" means sell, distribute, give away indiscriminately, exchange or give;
"import" means bring or order into the Kingdom;
"export" means carry or send out of the Kingdom; (6)"consume" Means take in narcotics by whatever means;

I remain clueless on the actual intent of the regime with regards to cannabis. I assume there is a plan and a path, but that's a guess.

There is no export market, so any/all production and resulting biomass will be for the domestic market, which even accounting for ganja tourism, remains extremely small.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, jonclark said:

The very notion that they are going to be allowed to grow six plants at home

Well the health minister and others seem to be expanding the limit of six-plants, with statements this week saying you can grow as much as you want, no limits.

But then he says so many things, apparently without ever being held to account.

Household cultivation of marijuana by small enterprises (7 people) can begin immediately, but single households will have to wait until the end of the 120-day period. They will then be permitted to grow up to six marijuana plants, or an unlimited number if they register with the government.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40012085

He even mentioned an app this week. ????

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Tuesday he would like small cannabis growers to be able to conveniently register via an app.

Initial registration would be via the app and then officials would inspect the grower's garden, he said.

10 minutes ago, jonclark said:

only use the stuff that doesn't get you high is just pie in the sky fantasy. 

Yeah, the toothpaste is definitely out of the tube, but if anyone can put it back it's a thai government official weilding a "law".

15 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Thai people like to get high

Broad generalization of course. You mean "high" with cannabis? Probably a very small demographic. Obviously methamphetamines are much, much, much more broadly (ab)used here.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

There are many, many, many "laws" here.

Interpretation, application and enforcement of "laws" is left to those at the top end of the pyramid to "interpret".

There is a follow-on bill being prepared to deal with some of the issues.

As of today, and even after June 8, 2022, it is illegal to produce (grow) - unless authorized by the government - possess, distribute and use cannabis with a THC content greater than 0.2%, unless prescribed though the GPO.

Even that would be illegal.

This proclamation simply stated, removes cannabis seeds, stems, leaves, roots even flowers with THC levels at or below 0.2% from the current list (addendum) of substances covered by the Narcotics Act. That's it. You cannot grow cannabis, there are no cannabis sandboxes, you cannot smoke cannabis, and those OG Kush gummies are not real. You can nosh on some leaves.

Narcotics Act, B.E. 2522

narcotics means any form of chemicals or substances which, upon being consumed whether by taking orally, inhaling, smoking, injecting or by whatever means, causes physiological or mental effect in a significant manner such as need of continual increase of dosage, having withdrawal symptoms when deprived of the narcotics, strong physical and mental need of dosage and the health in general being deteriorated, and also includes plant or parts of plants which are or give product as narcotics or may be used to produce narcotics and chemicals used for the production of such narcotics as notified by the Minister in the Government Gazette(5), but excludes certain formula of household medicine under the law on drugs which contain narcotic ingredients;

"produce" means cultivate, plant, manufacture, mix, prepare, denature, transform,synthesize by scientific means and includes repackaging or combine-packaging ;
"dispose" means sell, distribute, give away indiscriminately, exchange or give;
"import" means bring or order into the Kingdom;
"export" means carry or send out of the Kingdom; (6)"consume" Means take in narcotics by whatever means;

I remain clueless on the actual intent of the regime with regards to cannabis. I assume there is a plan and a path, but that's a guess.

There is no export market, so any/all production and resulting biomass will be for the domestic market, which even accounting for ganja tourism, remains extremely small.

I asked you earlier if you are connected to the Thai cannabis movement..

You didn't respond. That's your privilege of course, but you continually make posts pouring cold water over people's hopes for true liberalization. Why? Inside information or just well read on the topic but opposed to liberalization?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

For me it is still not clear.  The mandate disallows extracts which implies buds can be smoked.  Then it states recreational smoking is still illegal.  So if buds are legal why can't I smoke them?  Maybe I can look at them all day and imagine.

You can only scramble them is eggs or put them in a smoothy or sprinkle them on a salad, and then act like you're drunk on beer!  :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

The mandate disallows extracts which implies buds can be smoked. 

I think you're jumping to a conclusion based on your interpretation of the word extract, which in the west refers to the various products not limited to hash, budder, sift, crumble, kief, rosin, shatter...

My read, and I think it hinges on the thai word from which "extracts" is translated, is that "extracts" in this proclamation means anything from the plant, in its native form. This would include flowers/nugs/buds, seeds, stems, leaves, roots. Or anything that is subsequently derived from the plant.

Below 0.2 % THC pass Go and collect 200 baht.

Greater than 0.2 % THC, Go to Jail, do not pass Go.

Unclear how CBD figures into this, but there are very few none? high CBD strains with THC at/below 0.2 %. There are few that come in at the 0.7 - 1.0% range: ACDC, Charlotte's Web (this one is cultivated here in the pilot/uni grows).

Edited by mtls2005

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I think you're jumping to a conclusion based on your interpretation of the word extract, which in the west refers to the various products not limited to hash, budder, sift, crumble, kief, rosin, shatter...

My read, and I think it hinges on the thai word from which "extracts" is translated, is that "extracts" in this proclamation means anything from the plant, in its native form. This would include flowers/nugs/buds, seeds, stems, leaves, roots. Or anything that is subsequently derived from the plant.

Below 0.2 % THC pass Go and collect 200 baht.

Greater than 0.2 % THC, Go to Jail, do not pass Go.

Unclear how CBD figures into this, but there are very few none? high CBD strains with THC at/below 0.2 %. There are few that come in at the 0.7 - 1.0% range" ACDC, Charlotte's Web (this one is cultivated here in the pilot/uni grows).

Based on my and only my understanding:

At the beginning of it all, Anutin said he would follow the " California model ", several years ago if I remember clearly.

From the 8th of june I believe, on the medical side, you will be able to buy buds and smoke it. For that you will need a medical certificate or document from a doctor, same as the one you can get now for a very large number of conditions like " pain " or " headache " or similar conditions. At that moment, it will be legal in thai style ????

I think they are making it legal without making it legal so they can stay on the good side of the treaties they signed untill Germany, the US and some other big western countries legalize themself and they can get rid of the treaties or just don t care.

My 2 cts only. I may be wrong.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:
7 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

The mandate disallows extracts which implies buds can be smoked. 

I think you're jumping to a conclusion based on your interpretation of the word extract

Mtls, you may very well be right.  But if they do not allow buds or anything over 0.2% they are just legalizing hemp, which in my opinion is a non event.  So we will eventually see what "shakes" out.  In the mean time I am staying away from this stuff due to old stories of farangs getting caught with drugs.  It just is not worth the risk.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thaichina said:

you will be able to buy buds and smoke it

Where will you be able to buy buds?

Where will you be able to smoke?

And where will you be able to get a medical card?

11 minutes ago, thaichina said:

Anutin said he would follow the " California model "

That was BJT campaign propaganda.

bjtcann.jpg

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Where will you be able to buy buds?

Where will you be able to smoke?

And where will you be able to get a medical card?

That was BJT campaign propaganda.

bjtcann.jpg

I read it on different articles, for exemple on khaosad english on 9th of february. not sure if I can put a link:

The delisting will take effect 120 days after its publication in the government gazette. In the period ahead of it becoming effective, the ministry will seek to have a bill on cannabis approved by Parliament to clarify several legal points.

The proposed Cannabis Act would allow only patients whose diseases can be eased with marijuana, such as cancer and depression, to grow the plants at home, said Tonnam Niyamapar, a member of The Alliance of Citizens’ Cannabis Association, a lobbying group.

He said that the act would also allow people to smoke marijuana for medicinal purposes. Flowers of the plant had been on the list of controlled drugs, so until now cannabis oil had been permitted only for treatments.

Some how lost the post replying  to mtls2005 and his definition of the word extract and his assertion that  it's all BJT's election  BS..

Ok.. so now you are a political analyst and fluent Thai speaker, able to parse the word "extract"...

Although I have to rely on translations, it seems to me the Thai language is perfectly able to discuss the various parts of the plant. Anything else would be surprising given that this country has a long history of agriculture.

You have once again dodged a direct question posed to you twice.. Stakeholder, interested observer, or agent provocateur?

I'm reminded of those cagey anti-vaxxers, always questioning the vaccines while never clarifying their own vaccination status..

Edited by bobbin

I might put some seeds (if I can get my hands on some) in the ground and if they grow themselves then I won't be growing them, then after 120 days I can take over the growing part as well as the harvesting part.Then I might just imbibe rather than smoke them.Many older women around hear put it in there cooking so the demographic might be larger than people think and they don't do it for the taste I'm told.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CLW said:

I think you're misinterpreting the word extract.

Well I wasn't really interpreting it. I was trying to explain how other pro-cannabis Thais, whom I know and respect, are interpreting the proclamation.

15 hours ago, CLW said:

It was clearly "sakatt" , which refers to any extract in terms of concoction, juice, etc as opposed to natural occuring plant parts such as flowers (buds)

I hope you're right.

So flowers or buds greater than 0.2% THC are legal to grow, possess, purchase and sell, distribute and use, as of June 8? Is that your interpretation?

But if I extract any "concoction" (finger hash, or rosin - via heat and pressure only) that would be prohibited?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Well I wasn't really interpreting it. I was trying to explain how other pro-cannabis Thais, whom I know and respect, are interpreting the proclamation.

I hope you're right.

So flowers or buds greater than 0.2% THC are legal to grow, possess, purchase and sell, distribute and use, as of June 8? Is that your interpretation?

But if I extract any "concoction" (finger hash, or rosin - via heat and pressure only) that would be prohibited?

Anyway the recently published category 5 drug amendment was just the framework. Details will be worked out in a separate cannabis bill

4 hours ago, bobbin said:

He is always posting on these cannabis threads... Speaking authoritatively but always negatively.

Cant blame them. It will have cost a fortune to buy the permissions to grow commercially, no doubt brown envelopes galore. All that planning, brown-nosing and dreaming, and then with a stroke of a pen (decriminalized weed) it was all for nothing. 

35 minutes ago, CLW said:

Anyway the recently published category 5 drug amendment was just the framework. Details will be worked out in a separate cannabis bill

Yes, that is what one hopes will happen.

Regarding the California Model: a timeline

Medical 1996

Recreational 2016

Some/many thai folks are interpreting things as some here are: that seedlings, flowers, branch, leave, stem, root are NOT A DRUG. But something <chemically?> extracted MIGHT BE A DRUG.

Example: infographic from Workpoint TV

no mention of 0.2% THC.

273718133_3134542820160423_488701214576862235_n.jpg

• Like 1

Here is another timeline..

June 2016... Justice Minister Gen. Paiboon Koomchaya returns from UN conference on Drugs. Announces that the War on Drugs, heavily promoted in SE Asia by the USA, is over. It's time to learn to live with people's choice and legalize..

Shortly thereafter appointed to the Privy Council, a position of great importance as advisors to the King.

2018.. Bhumjaithai party, running on a platform of Marijuana legalization, wins 55 seats and joins Government coalition.. Second largest party in the coalition, and K. Anutin, party leader, is appointed Health Minister. Liberalization begin in earnest. Legal medical approval soon follows.

2020 Covid19 pandemic preempts further liberalization.

2021-22 Efforts to further liberalization resume..

Jan 2022 Draft laws to proceed with liberalization and removal of Cannabis from Narcotics Act are proposed and passed.

Feb 2022 Cannabis, with present exception of extracts, is removed from Narcotics Act and new act proclaimed in Royal Gazette, with law to take effect 120 days after proclamation.

This is a done deal, with support from the Government and elected representatives.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 3:51 PM, thaichina said:

Based on my and only my understanding:

At the beginning of it all, Anutin said he would follow the " California model ", several years ago if I remember clearly.

From the 8th of june I believe, on the medical side, you will be able to buy buds and smoke it. For that you will need a medical certificate or document from a doctor, same as the one you can get now for a very large number of conditions like " pain " or " headache " or similar conditions. At that moment, it will be legal in thai style ????

I think they are making it legal without making it legal so they can stay on the good side of the treaties they signed untill Germany, the US and some other big western countries legalize themself and they can get rid of the treaties or just don t care.

My 2 cts only. I may be wrong.

I was almost correct ????????????   ????