Retirement Visa Thailand ?

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

Rather than dropping 800k into a little or non-interest earning Thai bank account, instead invest it wisely in your home country.

Hypothetically speaking, what would that look like if we choose the '20% profit' option?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marvest said:

Hypothetically speaking, what would that look like if we choose the '20% profit' option?

Amount = Principal x [(1.20) to the power of n]

n being number of years. 

~ 5 million. 

Edited by DrJack54

Although it was in 2014 I got my Non Immigrant O at the London Embassy and it was valid for entry for 1 year. When I arrived in Thailand I got my first years extension at Jomtien via an 'agent' and have been getting marriage extensions each year via the income method myself. Do hope this 'new' 10 yr visa with 80k us dollar pension pm happens without an insurance requirement as I am too old and with too many prexisting conditions. This could persuade me to change to retirement extensions. 

18 hours ago, ThaiNoobie101 said:

What is the process like for getting a Retirement Visa for Thailand?

First, enough money to be self-sufficient from Thai Immigration's point of view, which is either 65,000 baht a month, or 800,000 baht in a bank.

Having the financial means you can apply for a non-immigrant O-visa, which will give you 90 days stay in Thailand, where-after you can apply for yearly extensions of stay...????

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

IMO the io was out of line.

In that situation I would ask to speak with someone higher up the food chain.

Failing that I would obtain the non O at another immigration office.

Which immigration office did you deal with. 

I am currently staying in Bangko so went to CW.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How long has the 800k baht been in the bank?

Ask the bank for a credit advice to show the funds came from abroad instead of asking for letter to prove it.

The 800k has been in the bank since October.

The credit advice I have is from Bangkok Bank but the account is from Kasikorn and the IO was not prepared to accept it could be the same funds.

I have now brought money in directly to Kasikorn.  The bank sent me a credit advice but th efile is garbage and the branch said they could not print it and would not write a letter.  On Monday I shall go to a branch with an International Businees Depatemtn and ask them to print it and to write a letter.   I have a few more days until my time runs out (15 days before teh end of my exemption extension).  It might just work out.

At least teh girls at the bank all smiled and excused temselves while the IO woman was dour (du).

8 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

I am curious as to why you want to retire to Thailand?

Have you traveled to other countries?

If you are asking me, the answer is yes.  Visited some, stayed in others ranging from 2 weeks to 3 years and most several times.  They ranged from the wildly exciting and delightful such as Guinea (Conakry), Liberia, Sierra Leone, all during troubled times, Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Kenya.  Egypt and Algeria, Oman (when a NOC was needed), UAE, and Iran (a couple of years ago - tough to get in), Afghanistan, India including controlled territories in the north east, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Burma, China (just stepped in illegally through Burma). Taiwan, Japan, Laos (first time was back in 1963), Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Phillippines, Indonesia, Fiji, NZ, Australia, USA (lived in NJ and FL and have visited every state on continental USA), Canada, Mexico, Peru, Brazil, and almost every country in western and cental Europe.  Oh of course and I have been to Thailand a few times, perhaps about 40 visits since 1963 mainly of 2-4 weeks with a couple of longer stays.  But this is the first time I am trying for a visa or planning a long stay.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibook said:

The bank sent me a credit advice but th efile is garbage and the branch said they could not print it and would not write a letter.

What is the problem with printing the credit advice.

They should waive the proof it came from abroad since it has been in the bank since October.

The bank letter is a standard letter done by the bank. 

Edit: Example of one done by Bangkok Bank. bank letter.pdf

Edited by ubonjoe

27 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Is it possible to receive a covid extension on an expiring 12 months extension of based on retirement . The extension is running out on the 11.03.2022 . The country was entered in january 22 on a reentry permit.

Using the info you posted the answer is no.

If you changed to a non-o visa at immigration from a tourist visa or visa exempt then the answer is maybe yes.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:09 AM, Petethefeet said:

I am 73 next month. I have been visiting Thailand for the last 5 years. The last 2 times with  60 days and a 30 day extension. I have grandchildren in the UK and I would like to spend a few months here and a few months there. At suvarnabhumi in January I was questioned why I was returning to Thailand having left in October. I have the funds to obtain a non O if that is best. Or can I just keep coming and going? Ideas and advice would be appreciated. 

IMHO single-entry non-O's obtained from the Royal Thai Embassy in London would probably be the best way of avoiding potentially awkward questions upon arrival at BKK Airport, provided that you can meet the following requirements set out on the Embassy's website:-

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas

1 hour ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday 

Is it possible to receive a covid extension on an expiring 12 months extension of based on retirement . The extension is running out on the 11.03.2022 . The country was entered in january 22 on a reentry permit.

Wbr

Roobaa01

You cannot obtain a covid extension.

Would assume with your question that you will not be in position to meet the financial requirements for extension retirement. 

Think your only option would be to use agent for your extension.

You have a non O so extension won't be too expensive. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Using the info you posted the answer is no.

If you changed to a non-o visa at immigration from a tourist visa or visa exempt then the answer is maybe yes.

@ubonjoeyes the original entry is based on a visa exempt entry 2 years ago. SO I understand with disgression of the immigration officer the Chance to obtain a covid extension is given at 50 %.

Wbr

Roobaa01

4 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

SO I understand with disgression of the immigration officer the Chance to obtain a covid extension is given at 50 %

How did you arrive at the 50%..

You had a non O after entry, the fact is that you can obtain a retirement extension. 

The IO may suggest that you have an option. 

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How did you arrive at the 50%..

You had a non O after entry, the fact is that you can obtain a retirement extension. 

The IO may suggest that you have an option. 

I had the visa exempt converted to non o tm 87 . I arrived at 50 % for using an Agent to ask for the covid extension.

Wbr

Roobaa01

10 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

I had the visa exempt converted to non o tm 87 . I arrived at 50 % for using an Agent to ask for the covid extension

Indeed an agent might have better luck obtaining the covid extension.

Depending on how long you wish to stay another option would be to use agent to obtain 12 month extension based on retirement.

~15k

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed an agent might have better luck obtaining the covid extension.

Depending on how long you wish to stay another option would be to use agent to obtain 12 month extension based on retirement.

~15k

Thk u and ubonjoe for your fine information

Wbr

Roobaa01

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 9:05 AM, ubonjoe said:

What is the problem with printing the credit advice.

They should waive the proof it came from abroad since it has been in the bank since October.

The bank letter is a standard letter done by the bank. 

Edit: Example of one done by Bangkok Bank. bank letter.pdf

Thank you.

The credit advice format is not one that my computer can open correctly.  It simply shows a stream of digits and  

contains the information interspersed wwith 

Just now, thaibook said:

Thank you.

The credit advice format is not one that my computer can open correctly.  It simply shows a stream of digits and  

sorry, it shows the nformation but interspersed by many digits and is not in any format.  I have asked them to send in pdf or Word.

I had a letter with the date of the funding.  I shall try again tomorrow and as you suggest ask to see the IO's superior if she is as unreasonable as last time.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:19 AM, DrJack54 said:

The OP, did not mention agents.

True it's an option.

I often recommend use of agents when there is no other choice.

Example, when someone cannot meet financial requirements for one reason or another.

With forward planning there is no need for an agent. 

Is it legal! I mean it is a way to do it, but is it legal? 

New to Thailand should be aware what they do before they do it, and the consequences by doing it even it is a small risk to take.

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Relax. It’s a way of life in Thailand…. and God knows how many other countries. 

When in Rome…

Still I would like to know if somebody recommended a agent to me and I was a novice to thailand. Anyway, the OP seems like a man with experience and sure he is vise enough to make good decisions on behalf of himself. 

When you have the financial in order no need for agent anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

When you have the financial in order no need for agent anyway

That's exactly correct. 

With ample funds you can do it by yourself. 

The process is simple walk in the park using money in bank method.

Sometimes the funds have a issue for some. Could be as simple as fell below the requirements due to error or just plain not have required funds or prefer not to have in Thai bank..

Use of agent is completely fine.

Ignore those that post tripe to the contrary. 

Always use a well know company..

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It sure is! ….and better still, your 800k invested wisely in your home country not only pays for your yearly agent fees but increases in value to around 2M baht in 10 years. 
Nothing worse than having 800k sitting in a Thai bank account doing SFA. 

27 minutes ago, Nemises said:

It sure is! ….and better still, your 800k invested wisely in your home country not only pays for your yearly agent fees but increases in value to around 2M baht in 10 years. 
Nothing worse than having 800k sitting in a Thai bank account doing SFA. 

Very optimistic figures ??

The 800k invested at bank interest would barely cover any agent fees, and would not double in 10 years.

You would need a return upwards of 8% to cover agent fees and doubling your money in 10 years.

Not to mention possible exchange rate losses converting agent fees from home country currency.

Edited by Peterw42

38 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The 800k invested at bank interest would barely cover any agent fees, and would not double in 10 years.

You would need a return upwards of 8% to cover agent fees and doubling your money in 10 years.

8% is being “very optimistic”? If you say so!!

FYI :

Looking at the S&P 500 from 2011 to 2020, the average S&P 500 return for the last 10 years is 13.95% (11.95% when adjusted for inflation), which is a little over the annual average return of 10%.

31 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The 800k invested at bank interest 

Bank interest?? The suggestion was “invested wisely”. Definitely would not consider bank interest a wise investment. 

Edited by Nemises