Bum gun - one that does not leak??

Petey303

I have gone through three "bum guns" (the bidet-like feature in most Thai bathrooms with a toilet) looking for one that does not consistently leak. Yes, I did take it apart and use plumbers tape on the threads. It does not seem to leak from the threads, but from the hose to body construction.

We have good water pressure here and one of the bum guns did break after I used plumbers tape. So that one was made pretty cheap. My latest one is stainless steel and was expensive... leaks!

The floor is always wet, which is OK in a Thai bathroom, they are made to be wet. I personally do not like it and I do not want anything just leaking for no reason. 

Would love to know if someone has a recommended bum gun or maybe a different approach. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, transam said:

VRH, a bit more expensive but are the best, my stainless VRH is now 14 years old, though I did have a hose fail, but not bad for 14 years and counting...????

VRH.jpg.a106d40d5052d1501187a73fd73d61ca.jpg

These were used in Bangkok Hospital public rest rooms 5 years ago if you need a test run.  They are not cheap but they are good.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, taotoo said:

I bought a cheap one that leaked so threw it away. Years later I bought the same model and it too leaked. Then I realised in the little packet of screws there are two rubber washers.

For the hose ends, not the gun...?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, taotoo said:

I bought a cheap one that leaked so threw it away. Years later I bought the same model and it too leaked. Then I realised in the little packet of screws there are two rubber washers.

My experience also.  Using rubber washers and swiveling head, I've never had a leak (although had one old hose that broke).  

3 minutes ago, taotoo said:

I’m on the same page as you…

If indeed OP is talking about where the hose connects to the gun (and wall outlet) tape is not directed or desired, those flat rubber washers you describe provide the correct seal.

Teflon will not be his friend in those locations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:
1 hour ago, Petey303 said:

Would love to know if someone has a recommended bum gun 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I found a good one in Global house it has a metal crome trigger.

Out of the 2 that I have now the first one is 2 year old no problem.

When it comes to bum guns, you definitely get what you pay for. I picked what was probably the most expensive stainless steel one in Global House for our new bathroom. That was three years ago and it's still going strong with no leaks.

I bought a cheaper one for the guest bathroom and it lasted about 6 months before it started to leak.

The moral of the tale is obvious.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And just how did you ascertain that? ????

Ascertained from renting rooms .

The flexible steel hoses have plastic hose inside them . They are easily damaged 

Edited by itsari
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, taotoo said:

Yes, but at the gun end who's to say whether it's for the hose or for the gun.

There is always a rubber seal between the gun and hose, unless you have hose that has the seal incorporated in the hose end, which many have. ????

• Like 1

Just now, jvs said:

Here is another tip,when you use the gun and let the trigger back slowly sometimes it

does not seal well and will leak,drip.

If you let the trigger snap back it will seal properly.

All the guns I have had, can pull them apart, clean the components, put them back together again. I did do that once with the VRH, as water can have sand etc in it...

• Like 1

They all leak after a time. The cheaper they are the shorter time they last. You can rehabilitate them by, for example, soaking the whole head in vinegar for two weeks while pressing the action a few time a day. 

They are cheap to buy so nothing to complain about really. We have 5 toilets and so keep a stock of three or four new ones I standby.

• Like 1