Bum gun - one that does not leak??

Petey303

We have a fairly strong pump and water pressure.

I gave up and added an easy to handle stop valve.

Similar to this but with a longer handle.

Very smooth to open/close.

stopvalve.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

When we remodeled our condo we simply got a toilet with a bidet seat.  Totally confused the maid because without a bum gun there is no way to clean the bathroom in the traditional Thai way, i.e. by hosing down everything, including the high-end wooden cabinets.  Instead we got her a watering can to flood the floor, with instructions to wipe down the cabinets with a slightly damp cloth.  No need to get everything in the bathroom soaking wet. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LoliLoso said:

We use a GROHE Bum Gun for more than 10 years, no leak.????

We've got 5 in our house. several have been replaced because the press down plastic 'trigger' has broken off.

None have leaked. Various brands. Did buy more expemsive because of the plastic trigger breaking and found the expensives ones broke same as cheap ones.

Buy a new house with staff to spray your asx as needed and then turn off the tap at the wall. 

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

We've got 5 in our house. several have been replaced because the press down plastic 'trigger' has broken off.

None have leaked. Various brands. Did buy more expemsive because of the plastic trigger breaking and found the expensives ones broke same as cheap ones.

Buy a new house with staff to spray your asx as needed and then turn off the tap at the wall. 

You should have bought a VRH gun, they are 100% stainless steel except the water seal/seat..????

• Like 1

After my first trip to Thailand in 2017 I returned home to Thailand and first purchase was a bum gun. No leaking issues. Since that first one I moved into a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom Apt. Bathroom 1 had my trusted bum gun, bathroom 2 I installed a bidet very similar to this and like it better then a bum gun. https://www.brondell.com/freshspa-easy-bidet-attachment/

4 hours ago, Petey303 said:

Yes, I did take it apart and use plumbers tape on the threads

Not such a good idea to use Teflon (plumbers) tape as it does not compress.

On plastic fittings this incompressibility puts more than enough pressure on the fitting for it to crack, yes, even on chrome fittings as most are chrome plated plastic.

Best used only on metal fittings.

On either end of the hose there is usually a rubber 'O' ring or washer, a fine 'smear' of silastic on either side of the washer, or around the 'O' ring prior to assembly can be helpful in sealing the hose joints.

Good European brand is Grohe

Good local manufacturer is Heng

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, transam said:

The problem with bum guns is that if the hose fails, which they do, there is nowhere for the water to go unless you have had it built into the toilet/shower room floor.

It's the most delicate water outlet to fail.

Second on the list and often overlooked is leaking toilet flush tank.

I notice the latter one when the pump mysteriously goes on.

4 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I have an alternative idea: close the valve at the feed pipe/hose connection at the wall by a quarter turn or one-third, thus reducing the pressure a bit. Might work. 

Yes, tried this... still leaks even when pressure is not enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

When we remodeled our condo we simply got a toilet with a bidet seat.  Totally confused the maid because without a bum gun there is no way to clean the bathroom in the traditional Thai way, i.e. by hosing down everything, including the high-end wooden cabinets.  Instead we got her a watering can to flood the floor, with instructions to wipe down the cabinets with a slightly damp cloth.  No need to get everything in the bathroom soaking wet. 

NancyL - this is the solution! Yes, no bum gun, get a bidet seat... I think that is the best idea. Thanks ????

4 minutes ago, Petey303 said:

Yes, tried this... still leaks even when pressure is not enough

As said earlier unless you turn valve off the pressure will still be the same as original - just the amount of water flow is reduced.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, itsari said:

Need a gun that is designed to swivel and not leak .

Most are fixed and as you use the gun you end up loosening the thread against the washer . 

I have seen that some individuals will destroy them sooner than others .

I was thinking the same. If fixed when u reach behind u and bring it forward and turn it to use under yer bum the hose inevitably twists and loosens the head fitting or tuther end. When fitting the head I try to adjust and tighten it facing the way so as to minimise the twist and kinking of the pipe. But missus  and kids probably twist and use it differently! My Global 99thb cheapie  leaks very little at the hose bottom connection but not at the head even though the old fitting is cracked. I use the hose so much to hose the toilet, floor, and also food from plates and pans before proper washing, that the floor  under it is almost permanently wet anyway so its not noticeable .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

Not such a good idea to use Teflon (plumbers) tape as it does not compress.

On plastic fittings this incompressibility puts more than enough pressure on the fitting for it to crack, yes, even on chrome fittings as most are chrome plated plastic.

Best used only on metal fittings.

On either end of the hose there is usually a rubber 'O' ring or washer, a fine 'smear' of silastic on either side of the washer, or around the 'O' ring prior to assembly can be helpful in sealing the hose joints.

Good European brand is Grohe

Good local manufacturer is Heng

The leak is not from the threads - it seems to be coming from the hose where it enters the gun end. The water runs down the wall and leaves a stain as well (another negative).

I did buy an expensive metal one... I am thinking bidet and forget the whole bum gun.

3 hours ago, transam said:

VRH, a bit more expensive but are the best, my stainless VRH is now 14 years old, though I did have a hose fail, but not bad for 14 years and counting...????

VRH.jpg.a106d40d5052d1501187a73fd73d61ca.jpg

Exactly same make and model as in our ensuite that has been leak and drip proof for a similar length of time.

Meanwhile, the 200 baht plastic one for the plebs bathroom gets replaced about once a year. I hate that bathroom, always wet and slippery as nobody really takes care of stuff. Shower heads and bum gun dropped and smashed against the wall or floor (that's why they get another cheap plastic one), shower filters never cleaned, drains plugged with hair and a sticking ballcock.

1 minute ago, Petey303 said:

The leak is not from the threads - it seems to be coming from the hose where it enters the gun end. The water runs down the wall and leaves a stain as well (another negative).

I did buy an expensive metal one... I am thinking bidet and forget the whole bum gun.

Have you replaced the hose then?

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As said earlier unless you turn valve off the pressure will still be the same as original - just the amount of water flow is reduced.  

I agree with you (basic fluid dynamics, got it), just telling Kaoboi Bebobp that I did try it. 

11 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I use the hose so much to hose the toilet, floor, and also food from plates and pans before proper washing, that the floor  under it is almost permanently wet anyway so its not noticeable .

You wash your plates in the dunny?

Where do you eat?

Wait, don't answer that.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You wash your plates in the dunny?

Where do you eat?

Wait, don't answer that.

555......I rent an 'apartment' with a 'utility' area which I use as a kitchen right next to the bathroom. There is no sink unit in this kitchen area, so I must use the washbasin, whose small outlet blocks easily, in the bathroom, and the adjacent toilet and bum gun is very convenient and perfect for rinsing dishes (and vegetables) before washing them properly in the washbasin. In fact a WC is the perfect kitchen 'waste disposal unit'.