If only two choices of relocation?

Hummin

Cambodia or Malaysia?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Still have RV & 4Runner at home country....

Can do the nomad thing comfortably - or settle down or  1/2 - 1/2.....

Being married to a Thai, none of the other options appeal....Nor does the PI - even if single.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Any, and judging by the interest, suggest you read the Mauritius topic on here 

I wouldn't choose ANY of the two options given, and certainly not the home country unless absolutely NO choice or at gunpoint !

It was just a rhetorical question if only two options. And the escape was back home. Question based on the running Malaysia thread, where one rather would move to Cambodia. One country highly developed with good and modern infrastructure, and one under developed. Living cost oay for what you get,  not to much difference imagine you need western a bit standard.

• Confused 2

I was a couple of time in Phnom Penh and I liked it.

They have a fantastic taxi app, everything from TukTuks to limousines. That helps to relax when you know nobody scams you only because you are new in town.

The people seem to be nice (in general) and they have lots of pretty girls over there. And I even found a wonderful coffee shop with great espresso in a garden.

Until now I don't like the language but I am sure one get used to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I was a couple of time in Phnom Penh and I liked it.

They have a fantastic taxi app, everything from TukTuks to limousines. That helps to relax when you know nobody scams you only because you are new in town.

The people seem to be nice (in general) and they have lots of pretty girls over there. And I even found a wonderful coffee shop with great espresso in a garden.

Until now I don't like the language but I am sure one get used to it.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Any, and judging by the interest, suggest you read the Mauritius topic on here 

I wouldn't choose ANY of the two options given, and certainly not the home country unless absolutely NO choice or at gunpoint !

No plans to return to home country anytime soon. (Nothing there to go back to anymore, so I'd have to start 'from scratch'.) Cambodia would be interesting, so I'm watching the visa situation.

Mauritius sounds tempting, but I haven't really looked into it yet. My major concern would be lack of a 'major' flight hub (as Bangkok is), but Reunion nearby could maybe provide extra flights to the 'world'.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Two options:

Move to Cambodia, as long as the food is reasonable.

Go back to Australia, buy a mobile home. Real estate is unaffordable.

Philippines, no. Women are attractive, apparently food is garbage.

Myanmar is even more xenophobic than Thailand. Not the people themselves, the rulers.

Malaysia, don't like the food, puritanical Muslim society.

Vietnam, maybe. Laos, maybe. Depends on the visas available.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

It was just a rhetorical question if only two options. And the escape was back home. Question based on the running Malaysia thread, where one rather would move to Cambodia. One country highly developed with good and modern infrastructure, and one under developed. Living cost oay for what you get,  not to much difference imagine you need western a bit standard.

One Islam. One Buddhist.  That was easy.

• Haha 1

My heart would pick Cambodia since I get a lot out of being among Buddhist/spirit worshipping people on a day to day basis and my half a dozen visits there have all been very cheap and amicable.

My head would pick Malaysia because it's less druggy/sleazy and has real hospitals if I get sick.

Also, Malay food is magnitudes better. In Cambodia, you really have to like the mushy steamed thing in a banana leaf-type meal. In Southeast Asian Cuisine, it's dead last behind even Myanmar.

We bought a high end Cambodian cookbook from Amazon, and for the first time with an Asian cookbook purchase, we were stumped in terms of finding anything we wanted to make out of it.

In terms of flight connections to the rest of Asia, Malaysia wins again.

But I am not happy about it winning and I really wish that Cambodia was less of a dump. 

• Like 1

There is no place in Malaysia as horrible as Sihanoukville:

https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/why-we-no-longer-travel-to-sihanoukville/

The poorer countries in SEA are going to be treated considerably worse by China going forward than the US treats Latin America and the Caribbean. So another reluctant vote for Malaysia.

Cambodia is the Tijuana of SEA (without the med tourism). I've enjoyed visiting less touristed places like Kep and Battambang, but a long stay would be depressing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Very garry glitter view of females!

Guess you've never been there. Women fall apart before they're 25. Indian women much the same.

Mainland East Asian women have far better diet and genes.

TBH Philippines is for guys that can't hack mainland East Asia. They seek the comfort of English speaking lover, recognizable food (fast food) and more ease negotiating life in English. The trade off is the place is an overpopulated, crime ridden hell hole.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1

A post using a contentious foreign language adjective has been removed as well as the replies.  Please remember English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.