As we continue to age past the Seventh Decade: A Fine Line comes to be drawn between the further Gaining of Wisdom and the impending Loss of one’s Wits, as well as one’s Wit and Bonhomie. Don’t you think?

GammaGlobulin

My Dearest and Endearing Friends,

Here I am, like you, faced with the unmentionable thing some call old age, and facing eventual loss of everything one worked so hard to accumulate during recent decades, all the good times we spent during our callow youth.

So, how goes it with you?

Are you presently experiencing a state in which you find yourself continuing to accumulate wisdom while losing your quickness, not to mention the loss of your hardness?

How is your Seventh Decade treating you, in Thailand?

Are the women still just after you, and are your loins still loiny enough for their liking?

How goes it with you in the mental department, which is connected to your joint department, which is connected to your heart department, all three of which, being connected to your vascular department?

Once one gets beyond a certain age, which is actually not a set age, one begins to ponder what seemed unthinkable when one was both 17 and randy.

So then what? Looking back now, would one be willing to give up this hard-accumulated wisdom just for a return to the stupidity of rampant and randomly-directed randyness, the wastefulness of sowing oats around the world, in any given port of call?

Would I give up my mind, today, just to enjoy mindless sessions of in-and-outs with the comeliest of young thingies, day after day, until I lost my mind, also, as a result of this, for no specific intellectual benefit?

So, therefore, what I think might be the better choice, since there truly is no other choice left open to the likes of those how have reached the Seventh Decade, as a result of no fault of their own, is just to go with the flow, and make the best of it, and do no harm, while, also, maybe trying to do some good before kicking off to another planet, such as Saturn, something Kurt Vonnegut fondly wrote about doing himself.

Somehow, maybe, we need to continue to find meaning in life.

The best way to find meaning is to use what little wisdom we have accumulated in order to justify our own existence during this period of our own ongoing and increasing decrepitude.

We NEED to remain full of optimism and gladness, for sure, if we are to continue on, like the good soldiers we are.

Although we never asked to be born, for sure, still, here we are. And, like the Good Soldier Svejk, we must maintain a certain decorum and sense of humor during our remaining years, I think.

What do you think?

I love the trilogy, Good Soldier Svejk, because he has always spoken to me.

Thank you Hasek for your great job telling a much-needed account of what it means to be a good soldier in this life, in Thailand, and in all other countries around our shrinking world.

Fondest regards,

Globulin

1123206904_josef-lada-the-good-soldier-vejk.jpg.2062cdf5274d62c75fbb3c1a1f4eec4d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Good gawd.

"My Dearest and Endearing Friends"

Your dearest and most endearing friends are the anonymous respondents here?   You've really got big problems, then.

Well....Today is Sunday, I thought.

Therefore, I thought, a sort of sermon might be both apropos and appreciated.

Was I mistaken?

I think not.

• Sad 1

These days, I'm just very jaded and a little bored. Seen it, done it, ate it, read it, been there. Not a "problem" I expect any sympathy for.

As a 69 year old who still has sex with his long running oldie wife, that's not far off lottery winner odds. A few of her friends would do me too, but I tindered on my friend's account and at my age I would finally be in demand for the first time in my life.

Would also consider pay for play up the road too if she died. I saw a guy on Beach Road once who kept squeezing women's forearms to test them out or maybe just to cop a free squeeze.

Would try not to be that guy, but truthfully, there's a little bit of free arm squeezer in all of us. Denying that would just cause more problems.

32 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

These days, I'm just very jaded and a little bored. Seen it, done it, ate it, read it, been there. Not a "problem" I expect any sympathy for.

As a 69 year old who still has sex with his long running oldie wife, that's not far off lottery winner odds. A few of her friends would do me too, but I tindered on my friend's account and at my age I would finally be in demand for the first time in my life.

Would also consider pay for play up the road too if she died. I saw a guy on Beach Road once who kept squeezing women's forearms to test them out or maybe just to cop a free squeeze.

Would try not to be that guy, but truthfully, there's a little bit of free arm squeezer in all of us. Denying that would just cause more problems.

You seem to be repeating the old refrain from one of the most memorable characters in Joseph Heller's Catch-22 novel.

Anyway, there is very much in Heller's novel which might be applicable to what goes on in these southern climes.

Maybe, if one wishes to remain healthier and happier, then one should just follow the path of moral rectitude, and refrain from engaging in acts which cannot lead to your final uplifting ending.

Joseph Heller wrote an amazing satirical novel which influenced young thinking people, all around our shrinking (shanking) world.

Greatest author of the 1970s. Still valid, these days.

For youngsters: Read it and enjoy it, because...you will never forget it.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 minute ago, SheikYabodyline said:

I can certainly think of at least one budding old fart with a propensity for writing indigestible headlines.

In order to become classified as an old fart, it is not easy.

One must endure just too much of the unspeakable.

11 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Why are you so into this?

Limp noodle liberation -the parade that nobody wants to join.

Are you calling me a limp Yankee Noodle Dandy?

This has become our insult of pride!

Of course, we all enjoy barbs and arrows, and word games, here, for sure.

Otherwise, why would we keep coming back to this great place???

19 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Always people that refer to themselves as "one" ????????

Do I have a book for you.....!

"The Power of One"

This book is about a young boy named Peekay who throughout his life has to fight adversity as well as persevere through hardships.

I enjoyed this book, many years ago!

And, I enclose the title of this book, here...in quotation marks, as recommended by someone else, here, on this thread.

Read it.

I have no doubt that you will enjoy it.

Or, not.

No harm done.

Finally! We have arrived at "the meaning of life". Long overdue but at the same time pointless.

The most respectet scientists have come to the conclusion that "reproduction" is our only destiny. Theologists claim that everything will be better in "heaven" as a compensation for the ever ongoing BS on earth.

Pattaya is a good place to go thru the physical act of reproduction. The Vatican a good waiting room for heaven. None of those theories are very satisfactory.

Only hope: Eternal sleep.

5 minutes ago, swissie said:

Finally! We have arrived at "the meaning of life". Long overdue but at the same time pointless.

The most respectet scientists have come to the conclusion that "reproduction" is our only destiny. Theologists claim that everything will be better in "heaven" as a compensation for the ever ongoing BS on earth.

Pattaya is a good place to go thru the physical act of reproduction. The Vatican a good waiting room for heaven. None of those theories are very satisfactory.

Only hope: Eternal sleep.

Certainly, the Meaning of Life, if not lower life, is to pass on our genes, indubitably.

However, the higher meaning of life is to pass on our genes in a more refined way, and, perhaps, to refrain from passing on our genetic material in the bars of Pattaya, if one can possibly avoid doing so, one might guess.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Certainly, the Meaning of Life, if not lower life, is to pass on our genes, indubitably.

However, the higher meaning of life is to pass on our genes in a more refined way, and, perhaps, to refrain from passing on our genetic material in the bars of Pattaya, if one can possibly avoid doing so, one might guess.

Rats! The human genom has been spread around by "the pillars of society" as well as by paupers living under a bridge with the same intensity and vigor. All of them fullfilling their "lifes-destiny" with conviction. All of them guided by the lack of another destiny.

The "ladies of the night" in Pattaya have found a solution to those mind-boggling challenges, surpassing the ability of the human brain to comprehend his own little universe:

"YOU THINK TOO MUCH". For good money, I give you good service! Long live the premier philosophers of this world, sitting on a barstool in Pattaya, armed with a mini-skirt as their weapon to keep the intellectuals of this world from "thingking too much".

That encompasses all the wisdom of this world that we have accumulated so far within the last 4,8 Billion years. Beyond that, we know nothing. Eternal sleep "after the fact" the only consellation.  

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well....Today is Sunday, I thought.

Therefore, I thought, a sort of sermon might be both apropos and appreciated.

Was I mistaken?

You sure were mistaken...yet again.   Didn't the number of "Likes" give you a clue?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

If you want to enjoy your mind for a long time consider exercising your body, with or without young females. 

Mind and body are connected to plenty of research showing that those who exercise stay mentally healthy longer. So don't just focus on your mind and neglect your body.

As for using ladies of the night or not, that is a personal choice, i don't see a problem with people doing so. Whatever you like you should do. No need to lecture others on what to do. 

If you like lecturing and giving sermons maybe you can become a priest ????