Foreign ‘Big Bike’ rider in Pattaya seriously injured after colliding with pickup truck, truck driver flees on foot

snoop1130

588270-696x522.jpg

A foreign ‘Big Bike’ rider has sustained serious injuries after colliding with a pickup truck whose driver fled the scene on foot in the Pattaya area last night (February 13th).

The Pattaya City Police were notified of the accident at 11:00 P.M. at the Boon Kanchanaram Intersection on Sukhumvit Road in Nongprue.

Police, emergency responders, and The Pattaya News arrived at the scene to find the CBR 500 cc ‘Big Bike’ lying near a footpath. Nearby, emergency staff found a male foreign rider, whose identity was not immediately released to the press. He had sustained severe injuries and was rushed to a local hospital.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/14/foreign-big-bike-rider-in-pattaya-seriously-injured-after-colliding-with-pickup-truck-truck-driver-flees-on-foot/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-02-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Looks like a CB500X rather than a CBR to me. He even had aux lights fitted for increased visibility. Hope the guy recovers well. U-Turns are so dangerous here it's crazy. The car drivers don't care, don't see or misjudge the speed of the bikes.

• Like 2

A witness, who identified himself to TPN media as Mr. Sarawut, 39, told reporters, “The pickup truck driver was making a U-turn before crashing into the ‘Big Bike’ rider who was driving at high speed on the road. The pickup truck driver fled from the scene on foot as soon as he saw the seriously injured foreigner.”

So.. 

What is high-speed to an onlooker ?....  was the foreign riding a high speed ? possible.

Pickup driver fled the scene - Drunk ??? I’m betting so. 

Was the foreigner also tested for booze ???

whenever someone flees the scene - its quite often a given that they’d been drinking.

That this accident happened in the evening...  quite possible both had been drinking. Of course no proof of that, but what are the odds... night time, Pattaya, accident.... 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know if its the nature of the sheer number of ‘hit and runs’ or just the abundance of negative attitudes towards the integrity of Thai’s on this forum...   but, the fact that your statement above is necessary perhaps highlights that there is an underlying issue.

confirmation bias? Most news stories and reports on forums like this are negative. I mean, what's newsworthy about "Today a Thai person helped someone"  - doesn't have the same visceral impact as the driver running away

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I was hit by a car last year, the driver came to visit me in hospital to see how I was and admired to the police that it was his fault.

I also had another incident about 11 years ago ,when my front wheel locked up and I came off on a bridge. The driver in front stopped, helped me get to the side, waited with me till the ambulance came and made sure I was OK.

Not all Thais are bad. 

The fact that you had to post that in itself speaks volumes. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Cowardly Thai's doing a runner after an accident

How unusual.

Should be jail time for doing that.

Hope the other guy recovers ok.

Agreed, leaving the scene of an accident and not helping the injured is as bad as it gets.

• Like 1

I have actually witnessed a hit and run about two years ago. The driver of the car initially stopped, but then sped off once he or she realised they had caused an accident. It was a silver Vios or City changing lanes without looking and wiped out a taxi motocy. There were dozens of Thai witnesses so didn't feel the need to get involved. Happened just outside Pattaya on the main Sukhumvit Road. 

8 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I also had another incident about 11 years ago ,when my front wheel locked up and I came off on a bridge. The driver in front stopped, helped me get to the side, waited with me till the ambulance came and made sure I was OK.

Not all Thais are bad. 

Thai people are very helpful i have seen many times they stop their vehicle and run over to help anyone in trouble.

Unfortunately this is about when its their fault you still get Thais running over to help but the one that knocked you off would have forked off in a flash .

I've thought a lot about this, and it seems to me that the essence of the horrendous accident rate is that Thais leave no margin for error, the very concept seems to elude them. (I admit drinking is a separate matter, but that is pretty simple in a way.) But another factor is that many Thais are inconsiderate of anyone they don't know personally; in this they are imitating their "betters", the elite of this country who are conditioned to have no regard for anyone below them on the social scale.

12 hours ago, PremiumLane said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know if its the nature of the sheer number of ‘hit and runs’ or just the abundance of negative attitudes towards the integrity of Thai’s on this forum...   but, the fact that your statement above is necessary perhaps highlights that there is an underlying issue.

confirmation bias? Most news stories and reports on forums like this are negative. I mean, what's newsworthy about "Today a Thai person helped someone"  - doesn't have the same visceral impact as the driver running away

I think you make a valid point...     However, how many options are there to report ‘driver fled the scene’ with such frequency in our home countries ? Its clearly a far more frequent even here in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have actually witnessed a hit and run about two years ago. The driver of the car initially stopped, but then sped off once he or she realised they had caused an accident. It was a silver Vios or City changing lanes without looking and wiped out a taxi motocy. There were dozens of Thai witnesses so didn't feel the need to get involved. Happened just outside Pattaya on the main Sukhumvit Road. 

I too witnessed a ‘hit & Run’...  Driving down Rama IV a motorcycles suddenly pulled out in front of a car in the left lane, straight into the middle lane and into the motorcyclist in front of me knocking him off and hurting him. 

The motorcyclist who caused the accident picked up his bike and sped off. 

The hurt motorcyclist picked up his bike and pushed it to the side of the road, I pulled over to block the traffic to allow him to do this and then pulled over on the far left lane. 

I then downloaded the Dash-Cam footage onto my phone. We had my son in the car so I didn’t want to leave the and as it was night I didn’t want my wife to deal with the situation alone. We called the ‘limping’ motorcyclist over  and told him we had the incident on camera but he didn’t seem to care. 

The Police came, we called him over to our car, explained that we saw the accident, took his Line Messenger details and sent him the video of the accident.

That was that, we’d done our part - took maybe 15 mins of our time. I hope the Police caught the ay-hole who rode like an idiot straight into someone who was riding perfectly sensibly down the road.

Realistically, I very much doubt the Police even bothered to track the ‘hit & runner’ down...  why would they even bother? I would have taken some effort and there’s nothing in it for them - a sad state of affairs really. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Like guns, big bikes should be banned from public road and places. Maybe put a governor on the accelerator to limit the speed to 90 kph.

Poster who make such comments does so making it so very blatantly clear that they’ve never even sat on a motorcycle in their life.... 

I won’t bother trying to re-educate you...  your starting point too far detached from intelligent balance. 

4 hours ago, Enzian said:

I've thought a lot about this, and it seems to me that the essence of the horrendous accident rate is that Thais leave no margin for error, the very concept seems to elude them. (I admit drinking is a separate matter, but that is pretty simple in a way.) But another factor is that many Thais are inconsiderate of anyone they don't know personally; in this they are imitating their "betters", the elite of this country who are conditioned to have no regard for anyone below them on the social scale.

Is this social scale based on the misconception that the more money you make/have the less your s--t stinks?

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Poster who make such comments does so making it so very blatantly clear that they’ve never even sat on a motorcycle in their life.... 

I won’t bother trying to re-educate you...  your starting point too far detached from intelligent balance. 

I guess you have been on a 'big bike', but appear to also  have just been on the end of a hook, line and rod!

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Is this social scale based on the misconception that the more money you make/have the less your s--t stinks?

I'm thinking of the Sakdina feudal social system going back centuries that still forms the backdrop of Thai society in many ways. Google will bring up a number of relevant entries.