Hospital insurance recommendation to take me into my 80’s…?

mikey88

Hi…Covid had mucked things up a bit…but post Covid I anticipate resuming my Thai life with my Thai partner.

I’m 68 now and have no ongoing Thai medical insurance.

Up until now I’d take out long term travel insurance and then go home to Australia for 3-4 months every year..

As I age that’s probably going to change and I’ll probably need hospital cover in Thailand.

My pan is to try to take it out about now so that I’m guaranteed ongoing cover as I age.

So my priority is finding an affordable cover that I can take out now  and which will guarantee not to cut me off as I get to 75, 80 etc etc…

i don’t want outpatient necessarily. I’m fairly healthy now so I am anticipating only needing cover for serious situations….though you never know.

I’d probably want to reduce my premium by choosing a high excess….anticipating that ….if I actually need the cover it will be only be for extreme or serious situations…

Can anybody with experience share that experience and give me some company names that they recommend…..

And if possible some ball park figure around what I’d be paying…..if possible..

Appreciate any help you may care to give and all the best.

Edited by mikey88

Hi Mikey, I'm in a similar situation as yourself, but a bit older (77)

I have hospital insurance with LMG, I've elected to pay the first 100,000Tbh and with a no claim I get nearly a 50% discount

As amexpat said premiums increases as one ages - every 5 years

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Put 100,000B in the bank each year as you age. Thats what you will be throwing away each year to Health insurance.

That's cheap.  I pay almost ฿13,000 monthly for outpatient insurance, and I feel that I'm not overcharged.  The sad--but very fortunate--thing is that I've needed it only once for one night's stay in the past 13 years.  The way I see it, life here is too risky to be without insurance; I'm not a gambler.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, verticalift said:

As a Canadian Expat, I’ve been living on Phuket since the late ‘90’s. Previously employed as a pilot in Abu Dhabi, I commuted to/from work. Now 64yrs and fully retired from the cockpit I found myself researching Health Care Providers, with offices both inside and outside of T’land. What I found shocked me…… especially when reading the fine print of the information provided by international providers with offices in T’land.

Many providers in T’land can and will automatically cancel your policy when you turn 70yrs. With that in mind and even though Cigna have offices in BKK, I took out a policy with Cigna’s office in Dubai, where I am covered for life.

How much are you paying? Why didn't you go with insurance with offices in Canada?

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

13,000 Baht x 13 years = circa 2m Baht.

That is why I keep 1m Baht available for such eventualities.

The other 1m Baht that I have 'saved' has been frittered on women, alcohol and holidays.

im doing the same, well, almost.......i keep 2m.  ????

• Like 2

I'm in the same situation but I've been researching and buying insurance here for 15 years!  from that experience it is a mine field as you can see from the few responses. You will note add here on Asean but when you do ask you will get responses that will open your eyes.

When you noted " affordable "  of course everyone has a different definition and as for cutting you off as noted by one poster as you age the premium will rise each year or your age (average 5000 baht)  until you enter into a different age bracket. Example (55-60) (60-65) (65-70) many must get in by 60 once you are in the 65 bracket cost goes up and coverage can be lower of course the catch in all the policy "  pre-existing condition!  The cost to the premium will be so much they won't cut you off but the premium will be so high you will think about leaving?

Not to name companies!  When I came here over 15 years ago I join an expat club they had policy for a 1 million baht coverage the cost was something like 18,000B,  today if you have that same policy over 60, it would run around 60,000 baht?  All the companies in the fine print want perfect specimens at our age it is rare a number want you to take a full complete physical at a private hospital anything shows up it isn't covered.

For the last three years I've gone uneven covered got sick and tired of the games, I was with a company name A for 1 million baht coverage after several years they decided to cut the coverage for older expats 60 plus down to 400-600,000 baht but expect you to pay the same premium of 35,000 baht which was the cost for 1 million.  Another company stepped (P) in offer to cover but you got to take a physical cost (8,000 Baht) if you fit the bill " perfect "  premium was 65,000 baht reviewing their cost structure by the time you reach 70-75 it would be close to 80,000 baht but the good news was they wouldn't cancel your policy. They also offer choice of deductibles 25,000 baht and up to help lower your premium.

Personally choice if you opt for 100,000 Deductible you mind as well skip and take a chance if you are healthy and sock it away don't touch and hope for the best that is what I have been doing the last few years. Insurance here is like Ala Carte with no rights for the insured?  Here on Asean you will see ads contact them and it is all the same again " affordable " is each person definition.

Nevertheless, when someone recommends a link I always look but the Bupa ones recommended nothing comes up! but one never know?  but being 70 now it is slim and none? 

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

I have lived here a few years, and I don’t see any health insurance for us oldsters that’s practical. I had Aetna, modest cover, they promised a no-claim discount. Instead, they raised it 30%. I cancel I got a new proposal from some company. Price 39,000 baht per year. I looked at the cover. If I was sick, in hospital for three weeks, one week in intensive care, arrived by ambulance, saw the doctor each day. The total they would have paid was 42,000 baht. Now, they would want me to get an extensive and expensive physical before giving such poor cover. I self ensure, and maintain good cover in my home country, the United States. I have told my partner that if I get sick and can’t speak for myself to beg them to put me in a government hospital where it’s cheaper.

Edited by flbkk
Error
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

That's cheap.  I pay almost ฿13,000 monthly for outpatient insurance, and I feel that I'm not overcharged.  The sad--but very fortunate--thing is that I've needed it only once for one night's stay in the past 13 years.  The way I see it, life here is too risky to be without insurance; I'm not a gambler.

Sadly we are talking about physical medical cost and not the cost to care for one's mental state?

I think you got the message wrong?  13,000 baht for " Outpatient " if that is the case what is it per month for Inpatient?  You " Outpatient " coverage wouldn't have covered you for your one night's stay in the past 13 years?

Regardless, if one is paying 13,000 a month X 12 months = 156,000 baht a year over 10 years that is 1,560,000 baht  Yes life here is too risky to be without insurance but for many there isn't much choice so you do gamble whether one likes it or not?  Looking at the numbers you do gamble you're just not good at it?????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, verticalift said:

As a Canadian Expat, I’ve been living on Phuket since the late ‘90’s. Previously employed as a pilot in Abu Dhabi, I commuted to/from work. Now 64yrs and fully retired from the cockpit I found myself researching Health Care Providers, with offices both inside and outside of T’land. What I found shocked me…… especially when reading the fine print of the information provided by international providers with offices in T’land.

Many providers in T’land can and will automatically cancel your policy when you turn 70yrs. With that in mind and even though Cigna have offices in BKK, I took out a policy with Cigna’s office in Dubai, where I am covered for life.

Can I ask what you pay for taking it out in Dubai?

1 hour ago, MrBrad said:

just questions as I have only assumptions

but isn't outpatient stuff the inexpensive part? 

and when you are really sick and going through expensive care, it is inpatient? 

At least that was my limited experience. When I had an operation or serious issue it was inpatient, stays in hospital necessary... 

When it was no big deal and I could come and go it was relatively inexpensive office visits... 

Pacific Prime (https://www.pacificprime.co.th/) in BKK are great brokers and offer all the support you'll need to make an informed choice.

I was assisted by them in my choice (via a sane, sound friends advise).

I've use the policy seamlessly for regular hospital and dental stuff, as well as a major surgery at the creme de la creme Bumrungrad.

There are a number of top-flight insurers that are all well received in LOS by all the major hospitals (and internationally should you get sick or injured while travelling) that will cover you, and who will pay out when you need them to.

Post 60 - 65 you'll be looking at a higher annual premium rate of course (I'm sure you realise this) with an annual premium of around $5K AUD or more depending on coverage range/features, co-pay etc. This is for superb Platinum level coverage with little to no co-pay. 

One of the criteria I stipulated was 'end of life' coverage and there were, if I remember correctly, about 5 or 6 or so great insurers who we considered would do that without batting an eyelid.  

8 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I'd contact an insurance broker in Thailand. They deal with these kinds of questions frequently and will have some suggestions. There is no cost to use a broker since any commission is paid by the insurance company. I used AA Insurance Brokers when I retired from my job in Thailand 4 years ago (at 61) and they were helpful. I went with Cigna Global.

My Cigna policy covers all inpatient and cancer treatment up to US$1 million per year with a US$750 deductible (no co-pay) for treatment worldwide except the US (I have Medicare there). They fully covered a recent melanoma treatment. Four years ago the premium was $3,100 and now it's $4,100. I have no pre-existing conditions. When I was shopping for policies some wouldn't cover things related to the heart because I take medication for hypertension. 

There are cheaper policies if you go with higher deductibles or co-pays. I am in a financial position where paying the annual premium isn't an issue and I like the peace of mind of being covered should I have a major health issue. 

@Mickey88

FYI

I can understand you probably relied on Medicare while still an Australian Resident for tax purposes, that said, even when you are living here, you will still be entitled to Medicare, however if you don't use it for 5 years it will be cancelled, so best to remember to get your card renewed as well, i.e. you can do it online, just say you lost it and need a new one and the new date will give you 5 years. I make a note to go to the doctor when in Australia as that resets the clock for another 5 years, but also remember to renew the card online.

At 68 you might have left it a little late, that said talk to Wim at AA Insurance Brokers, now read below for some background.

I too use AA Insurance brokers for all of my insurances.

They put me onto a company who covered my pre-existing condition (stent) which was put in mid 2008, compliments Medicare.

The policy her is one thing, and the pre-existing condition is another which was granted and is an add on/optional if I wanted it at the time, which I did, about $60 USD per month to cover the pre-existing condition, which I took, no regrets, that said, I haven't had a claim in the 4 years that I have been with them

I started private health cover at 58, now 62 and the premium went up a couple of years ago when I fell into the 59-64 year bracket, it went up from 70,000 to 120,000 baht including the pre-existing condition, that said, it's due in May for renewal, and the only thing I don't like is that that they don't have deductibles or excess/waivers to reduce the premium.

I spoke to AA late last year about it and they said April do have deductibles and are a good company, don't know about the pre-existing condition being covered though, but will give it a try, if they knock it back, that's ok, as I have the option to let it slide and just be covered for other stuff on a policy that would cost about half of what I pay now, and if I have an issue with the old ticker, then I will pay for it as I am told stents can range from around 350,000 baht in a private, and major surgery about a mil.

As for self insuring, can easily do that, however would rather have insurance for piece of mind, not fussed that they won't pay up as others say as I know two blokes who went into private, 2.5 mil and 750k baht and their insurers paid. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MrBrad said:

I agree, but for the big gamble as to whether they will pay despite the fact that you have paid.