STV background check criminal record

i have a criminal record for cannabis cultivation ( i had about 8 plants in a small cupboard )

i am guessing  i would fail the application for a STV visa because of this .

would there be any other option ( excluding thai elite )  for a visa stay in thailand for possibly 6 months every year until i hit 50 years old . currently 45

thank you

i have read many threads drjack . from what i read it is as you and upnotover says , get married or thai elite visa.

it would be good if someone more knowledgable than me on matters like this can  confirm that this is my only route as i can't  find confirmation on here or google.

thanks for the replies

yes 45 old

OP, you could get a 60 day tourist visa and extend it for 30 days, then do a quick trip to a nearby country* and do the same 60+30 again and there's your 6 months.

* Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam and Phillipines seem to be all opening up without quarantine (hopefully this forces Thailand to get rid of their 2 day test & go quarantine so your border hop would be easier)

If American, AND depending on state law, you could petition the state governor to pardon / seal your record - depending on that states law.  Depending on the state, 10(+) years clean record is usually required. It is a common practice. Get advise from a lawyer in the state of conviction. 

Edited by edwardflory
spelling
  • Like 1

Is it just a question on the application?

Or do you need to provide a document...

They dont call Pattaya the new Costa Del Sol for nothing, plenty of UK convicted criminals living there 

I don't see how Thailand could possibly check other than googling your nane, although not recognised in Thailand the rehabilitation of offenders act clears most offences from basic DBS checks very quickly unless you have been to Jail for a long time.

*Assumed you were British as growing Cannabis in cupboards is a popular hobby there- apologies if your not.

Edited by Satcommlee
S
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I know rules change and different embassies have different rules but I entered last year on a STV from the UK. No criminal record check required then 

My criminal record is 100% ok.I worked worldwide as a seaman offshore and some countries check us.

We had a contract in Canada and our cook was told that when his first 6 weeks was dued not allow him back becuase he had a DUI 6-7 years ago.

ubonjoe

aussieexpat

edwardflory

greenwich boy

satcommlee ( Pattaya the new Costa Del Sol lol )

stigar

thanks very much for the replies

i am from the UK .

i have applied for a ACRO check to see what my record shows .  as i received a community service order the conviction might be spent and not show on the record . i will let you know once i receive it . 

"An initial application will be submitted to the Bureau of Immigration for a background check."  this is what it says on the thai website so i am a bit worried about this bit .

just to say , i was growing it for a relative who suffered with MS

• Like 2

There is no way the Thai Bureau of Immigration would have access to British criminal records without at least some form of signed authority from you to do so.

Even if they had that I cannot see that they would jump through the necessary hoops to get such information.  In broad terms the British government do a pretty good job in terms of keeping personal records confidential. 

You do not say when your community service order was made or how long it lasted.

Info on Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act here:

https://www.nacro.org.uk/criminal-record-support-service/support-for-individuals/disclosing-criminal-records/rehabilitation-offenders-act/#community

My guess is spent and therefore no need to declare it.

15 hours ago, brendan3150 said:

"An initial application will be submitted to the Bureau of Immigration for a background check."  this is what it says on the thai website so i am a bit worried about this bit .

Not sure they even do that and it would be a criminal background check for here in Thailand.

• Like 1

Brazil used to require 'no criminal record' to issue a visa or work permit. When I went to Brazil. I had to get a 'No criminal record' statement from the UK police.  I do not think that Thai authorities can get this without your permission.  It sounds more as if they check with immigration that you have not been barred from entry to Thailand, data which they should be able o access.

I believe that a criminal record frog an offence such as cannabis possession is cleared after 7 years.  You can easily check this fact.

thanks very much for the help and advice , it has given me some hope .

inthejungle, i had the conviction 10 years ago , so yes i think it has been spent .

thank you ubonjoe

robin, i have asked for a police check and i will post back here what it says on the file , just incase someone else may ask the same question on here and need help .

8 minutes ago, brendan3150 said:

thanks very much for the help and advice , it has given me some hope .

inthejungle, i had the conviction 10 years ago , so yes i think it has been spent .

thank you ubonjoe

robin, i have asked for a police check and i will post back here what it says on the file , just incase someone else may ask the same question on here and need help .

In norway minor convictions will be deleted after 3 years.If ex apply for work in a kindergarden everything shows up.Thats called a full criminal record.I get a fine some years ago.Its gone from my record.

22 hours ago, brendan3150 said:

would there be any other option ( excluding thai elite )  for a visa stay in thailand for possibly 6 months every year until i hit 50 years old . currently 45

METV if the land borders open up and you don't have to go right now...it should spring back to life soon..and with the covid extensions going now..the land borders must be opening soon I'd guess for visa runs at Mae Sai/ Mae Sot etc...

6 months validity (up to 9 months if you exit out and come in right at the end plus one extension of 1-month) no background check...6 months on/off you should be fine next 5 years.

21 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

METV if the land borders open up and you don't have to go right now...it should spring back to life soon..and with the covid extensions going now..the land borders must be opening soon I'd guess for visa runs at Mae Sai/ Mae Sot etc...

6 months validity (up to 9 months if you exit out and come in right at the end plus one extension of 1-month) no background check...6 months on/off you should be fine next 5 years.

thanks freedomnow , i just figured out how to use the quote option ????

15 minutes ago, WhaleBomb said:

I know its different from the STV visa but when I got my ED visa I had to do a criminal record check.

I have previous convictions in the UK but they only checked to see if there was any convictions in Thailand.

I took a holiday in AUS..i said yes on the arrivingcard if i have ever been convicted.After a short time after talking with the IMM officer in her office i was released.They checked me and find out i had a minor covection(just a fine).

• 1 month later...

Only 6-months is easy to do using one visa run. STV may be not continue once it expires. Don't bother with STVs. Just get a TV and extend it and then hop over to a nere by country and get another TV and extend it one more time. 

7 hours ago, Onerak said:

Only 6-months is easy to do using one visa run. STV may be not continue once it expires. Don't bother with STVs. Just get a TV and extend it and then hop over to a nere by country and get another TV and extend it one more time. 

thank you Onerak . i understand now . enter thailand , extend the tourist visa so i can stay for 90 days , do a visa run and then extend that TV . thanks very much

thanks ubonjoe

in germany only 'real' crimes, that lead to prison time are being recorded. might be similar in the uk.

also, i am not sure but i think when you apply for a visa, they don't background check (just imagine the effort and look at all the real criminals that make it into thailand), it's more like self information that you sign

in short: u wolly too mutt

Edited by malone99

On 2/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, Greenwich Boy said:

I know rules change and different embassies have different rules but I entered last year on a STV from the UK. No criminal record check required then 

I submitted my application, there no request for the criminal record check.