Visa run to Cambodia

10 hours ago, Cletus said:

"showing more than 40,000 baht wire transfers from my US bank each month for the past 12 months to my Bangkok Bank account but here in Chiang Khan that method of verifying income is not accepted by the big boss"

Thanks for your very detailed report.

So you showed the money transfers and that was not accepted? Uhm? The big boss...what? Why did you surrender and didn't fight for your rights, considering all the troubles of a visa run in the Covid era?

Maybe the big boss realized that some people have been cheating the system by recycling the money. They have the discretion to do that.

Putting 400k just for 2 months isn't a big deal. Compare with retirees who has to put 400k for 12 months, and 800k for 5 months in a year.

I am surprised immigration didn't require marriage extension holders to put 400k for the whole year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Maybe the big boss realized that some people have been cheating the system by recycling the money. They have the discretion to do that.

The way immigration offices prevent that is by asking for proof of the source of your income.

I don't think many people are doing it that anyway since it would be costly way to try skirt the requirements due to the cost of sending money in and out if the country.

I am surprised immigration didn't require marriage extension holders to put 400k for the whole year.

Why should they? It is meant to be money to live on for a year.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The way immigration offices prevent that is by asking for proof of the source of your income.

I don't think many people are doing it that anyway since it would be costly way to try skirt the requirements due to the cost of sending money in and out if the country.

Why should they? It is meant to be money to live on for a year.

Folk on extensions retirement also need to live on money, however their funds are basically frozen in a Thai bank if using money in bank method.

The financial requirements for married guys is a joke.

Should be same requirements as for retirement. 

The argument that wife can contribute to living expenses via having a job is a nonsense. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, thaisail said:

For me and my Thai wife the entire visa run was a positive experience and though there were a lot of extra costs due to the pandemic, in the end it was worth it to see a new country and see what Cambodia was all about.

Thank you for you patience, Sir!

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Does immigration require an additional source of income proof for every renewal? I thought a 12 monthly transfer bank statement that it came from abroad is sufficient.

The cost of transferring 40,000 baht in and out of the country is minimal if we use Transferwise or similar low cost service. 

A few people in the past borrowed money from their friends/agents for 3 months in the past; that's why immigration changed to the new rule of requiring 5 months and 12 months for retirees. 'A few' people is enough for immigration to change the rules.

Edited by EricTh

59 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

In my case 60% of my living expenses come from my wife's business.

I take your point.

However thinking your situation is not typical. 

More common would be couple living off farang income.

Guess age comes into it.

I retired and with same Thai partner 10years. 

She hasn't worked during that time and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So yes as not married I keep 800k+ all year round. (I realize can take it down to 400k for a period).

The fact that if I sign a marriage certificate and just have 400k in bank for couple of months only is a pretty sweet deal in comparison to retired folk.

IMO ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I take your point.

However thinking your situation is not typical. 

More common would be couple living off farang income.

Guess age comes into it.

I retired and with same Thai partner 10years. 

She hasn't worked during that time and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So yes as not married I keep 800k+ all year round. (I realize can take it down to 400k for a period).

The fact that if I sign a marriage certificate and just have 400k in bank for couple of months only is a pretty sweet deal in comparison to retired folk.

IMO ridiculous. 

In fairness I do not actually use those two sources of income in any dealings with Thai Immigration. 

It would just make matters way too complex for my small local immigration office. 

27 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Does immigration require an additional source of income proof for every renewal? I thought a 12 monthly transfer bank statement that it came from abroad is sufficient.

They can and do ask for the source of income when showing transfers from abroad.

I have had to show proof of the source of my income when using transfers from abroad for 3 extensions since the rules were changed.

The cost of transferring 40,000 baht in and out of the country is minimal if we use Transferwise or similar low cost service. 

The cost of transfers into Thailand can be lowered using Wise and others.

There are not many choices for transferring out of Thailand and Wise is certainly not one of them and the are not all that cheap.

We found out that I could easily go to Laos

I know the point here is Cambodia and you've done a great job of posting your experience. But I'm also interested to know which entry method made Laos easy. And if you'd gone there, are embassies now recognized as Green Zone locations in Laos and processing visas?  

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

"However, there is a problem with payment. First you have to have a Cambodian phone number and be able to receive the OTP code on a Cambodian SIM card. I tried to pay the $36 USD charge with several bank cards from the US and from Thailand also and none would work without receiving the Cambodian OTP to type into the payment window"

I really don't get this bit about requiring a phone in Cambodia to get an OTP for payment. Anyone applying for a tourist visa while outside of Cambodia would of course not have a Cambodia phone. Also, isn't the OTP sent by your bank to the phone number you have registered to them?

The part about finding some random official in Cambodia willing to pay for you just doesn't make sense either...who would do that? And why the whole Singapore friend transfer, if you transferred $70 to friends account why didn't you just transfer it direct to the Cambodia official? None of this payment makes sense?

Maybe he didn't know that we can send money out of Thailand via Deemoney.

A tawdry tale Thaisail, for sure. I have been working on my parent/Thai son visa for 4 months. 

I will be writing a long story when, and if, I ever succeed.

For now, my latest short story is that my Buriram Amphur told me to go back to BKK, for the second time, and have the US EMBASSY certify my Hawaii divorce certificate. I did. I paid the $50.00 fee, had it seal stamped and signed by an Embassy gentleman. Then off to CW. (second trip) I reviewed everything with a translator of everything previously approved over months. Then paid them the 1500 B fee. They would submit it all and mail the approval to me. I left the next morning and drove back to Buriram.

Two days later I was called and informed. NO. The signature on my first certification that my PP was truly mine, completed several months before, did NOT HAVE THE SAME SIGNATURE BY THE EMBASSY EMPLOYEE!! They wanted the same employee to sign both documents!! Of course I was never previously informed of this Thai technicality.

I can go back, wrestle with the US Embassy ??? and then what.

Upon reviewing Thaisale, I fear my monthly transfers of funds from my Pension may also be rejected!

???

• Sad 2

@thaisail

Thanks for the report. This is exactly what im going to do in a month.

Could you also add the documents, paper work you gave to thai embassy there please?

Also im little bit confused about thai pass. And couldnt find details about it in your report.. so please tell us little bit about that. And also please correct me if im wrong:

To apply thai pass, you already should have the visa, because its one of the dpcuments you need to add when applying.. and it can take between 3 to 7 days. Most reports say 5-7 days. So.. from your trip report, it seems there is something there.. i mean you wrote like you managed to get your thai pass eveb before you got your visa from thai embassy in cambodia.. many reports say they applied thai pass AFTER they got their visa from thai embassy and had to wait another 5 or 7 days to get the approval.. can you explain how did you do that so i will do the same.

@ubonjoe any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by problemfarang

2 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I know the point here is Cambodia and you've done a great job of posting your experience. But I'm also interested to know which entry method made Laos easy. And if you'd gone there, are embassies now recognized as Green Zone locations in Laos and processing visas?  

You can go to laos by booking one of the travel tours. And can go there only via air. Im not sure about the quaranteena but i think its about 14 days, might me less if your 3 dose vaccinated. Them you can get your visa in this time. Also another place is vietnam. They are fully openned. 

23 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

@ubonjoe any ideas?

He applied for the Thailand pass before leaving Thailand. A visa for entry to Thailand is not required to get it.

Info the Thailand pass is here. https://tp.consular.go.th/

The required document for a non-o visa based upon marriage is here on the embassy website.

https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-o-visa-thai-family?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

He applied for the Thailand pass before leaving Thailand. A visa for entry to Thailand is not required to get it.

Info the Thailand pass is here. https://tp.consular.go.th/

The required document for a non-o visa based upon marriage is here on the embassy website.

https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-o-visa-thai-family?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

thanks. great help

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Folk on extensions retirement also need to live on money, however their funds are basically frozen in a Thai bank if using money in bank method.

The financial requirements for married guys is a joke.

Should be same requirements as for retirement. 

The argument that wife can contribute to living expenses via having a job is a nonsense. 

I've viewed the 400K minimum for retirement extensions as a means of ensuring 400K is available for medical treatments without actually being insured, as the minimum 400K medical cover required for O-A Retirement visas.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kevc said:

Did you have to show bank statement for the ninety day Non O  and if so how much do they require.

The embassy website only mentions a bank statement is needed.

I assume it would it be the same as other embassies and it is the same 20k baht or the equivalent of it required for visa applications. 

Link I posted earlier shows the requirements. https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-o-visa-thai-family?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

• Like 1