Thai virologist Dr. Yong predicts daily COVID-19 infections may reach 100,000

webfact

7 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

How did you come up with that conclusion about South Africa?

"No one has died from the Omicron coronavirus variant in a study of Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ.N) COVID-19 vaccine in South Africa, one of the co-lead investigators of the study said on Tuesday.

"Although we have had a lot of breakthrough infections there has been very little hospital admission in comparison to the Delta period. And as of today we have had no one who has died from Omicron from the J&J study, so that's the good news, it shows again that the vaccine is effective against severe disease and death," South African Medical Research Council president Glenda Gray told a news conference."

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/no-omicron-deaths-jj-vaccine-study-south-africa-scientist-says-2021-12-14/

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

Even the official numbers today show almost 34,000 new cases (18,883 from PCR tests and 15,010 from ATK testing). Add in all the peopel who are feeling under the weather but not bothering to get tested, plus all those who have taken an ATK test which was positive but then didn't report the result (the majority, I suspect), and we're probably at 100,000 new cases already. And guess what, the sky hasn't fallen in and (sadly) the ground hasn't opened up and swallowed Anutin!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Already there. No biggie. Let it run. 

2 hours ago, Zack61 said:

With these numbers in play what difference will a few extra international visitors with the virus make? The test and go as it stands is futile and can only be seen for what it is - a money grab. 

meanwhile...

Screenshot_20220221-074318_Gmail.jpg

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where did you come up with your statement that the 90 million vaccines that are useless?  Vaccines help to keep those who do get infected from becoming seriously ill and may have assisted the Queen of England to just have come down with a minor case instead of a deadly one....stop with your misinformation as the vaccines have proven useful.

Once you've had Covid and recovered, and you're otherwise healthy, maybe with minor medical issues, you're protected from becoming seriously ill same as those having being vaxxed. So the 90 million vaxxes should be redundant for any people in these two groups.  

Read up on the latest scientific peer reviews on natural immunity - about time too - which no doubt is the main reason why in the UK all restrictions are about to become history.  

1 hour ago, stevecarteraus said:

not at all scientific, but a few girls I have met here say that when they test positive they just go to their room for a few days until negative. I'm betting the numbers are already very high and the reported cases the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

I think thats the consensus amongst many people.

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I think If you build up your immune system and are vaxxed you should not have much to worry about no matter how old or how young you are.

Biggest worry is the tab when you're forced into a private hospital and given the "farang" bill.

You'll probably have a heart attack.

• Thanks 1

a lot of people are talking how the numbers here are probably manipulated and there's no testing but they're by far not the only country, especially the countries around them who are a lot worse for false numbers, vietnam and cambodia pretty much claimed they had barely any cases in two years, that doesnt add up.     if its true, they best let the rest of the world know the secret 

8 hours ago, smedly said:

how would you know sonce the absolute max number of daily tests ever done here was about 80k and besides that have you been looking a foreign news again 

omicron spreads there is nothing can be done to stop it - next prediction yoiu make should be "Thailand to scrap all restrictions" and emerfency powers to end - just like every country is now doing 

Follow the leader.

28 minutes ago, bougnat said:
100,000 cases of flu, so what? We will soon be alarmed for the resurgence of mosquito bites or sunburn. When we don't have anything to say, we close it.....

You can take precautions for sunburn as you can with mosquito repellent. Same for Omicron, vaccines and previous infections can indeed make symptoms more like the flu or bad cold, but not always.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Guess the sky is the limit with Omicron.  It has been elsewhere, but as quickly as it went up elsewhere it went downwards.  However, from when the first cases were found here in Thailand Omicron has not acted like it has elsewhere until just the past 5 days, so one has to ask themselves why?  What is so different about Thailand that the virus acts completely out of character before it takes off just like with Delta and the original strain.......

government.. ordered it ..

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

I've known several people in Phuket who have tested positive for covid via lateral flow test and not a single one of them has reported it. Add to this those asymptomatic and mild cases where people haven't been tested then I'm sure that the figures may well be close to that 100,000 already.

Same. I know at least 15 thai people who got covid and none of them reported it.

2 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

32 deaths from covid today.  It will be another 120 from excess sugar (Diabetes and High blood glucose), 80 from road accidents, about 90 from pollution (at least).  Just sayin

As Bob Geldorf sang.... 'I don't like Mondays'.....

• Haha 1

all these numbers that mean jack sht pounding public heads with a onslaught of figures than mean nothing … 

all over the world they have the drama that throws fuel on fires that create more hot air stories and create more drama the self proclaimed experts full of their own importance when no one else really gives a toss - two long years  of madness- time to get on with life and let the idiots who are waving state sponsored red flags wave it in the mirror so the people who want to live are allowed to live in peace … 

4 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

all these numbers that mean jack sht pounding public heads with a onslaught of figures than mean nothing … 

all over the world they have the drama that throws fuel on fires that create more hot air stories and create more drama the self proclaimed experts full of their own importance when no one else really gives a toss - two long years  of madness- time to get on with life and let the idiots who are waving state sponsored red flags wave it in the mirror so the people who want to live are allowed to live in peace … 

Have a nice glass of milk pal.

4 hours ago, lks7689 said:

Never mind those people. Personally I think the vaccine helped in my recovery. I tested positive on 31 Jan. Had a splitting headache with fever of 38.5 for three days. Tested negative on day 7. Not something I call mild. Am still having elevated blood pressure and lower back ache, not to mention cough still today. I'm triple vaxxed(all moderna). My colleague(2 Pfizer and moderna booster) who tested positive three days before me still experience loss of scent and taste now, as well as cough. We are both in early 40s.

That was likely Delta not Omicron.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

32 deaths from covid today.  It will be another 120 from excess sugar (Diabetes and High blood glucose), 80 from road accidents, about 90 from pollution (at least).  Just sayin

When was the last time there were 80 road deaths in a day? There were over 300 covid deaths one day last year to. I get the sentiment but better to keep to official figures same as you are with covid deaths. Today there were 21 road deaths, yesterday there were 20.

6 minutes ago, charmonman said:

How are they useless? One of the main reasons we can and should start to relax restrictions and not worry so much about it anymore is because for the great majority of the vaccinated it really is at worst like a bad cold whereas for the unvaccinated it can often still be severe and life threatening. What is so hard to understand or accept about this elementary concept?

Vaccination is certainly a big part of it, but even to an unvaccinated person in good health Omicron is likely not dangerous.

The big problem is in people who are immuno-compromised, young or old.  There's possibly 500,000 such people in Thailand, as well as the elderly of course who make up many millions.  

Delta on the other hand can still make people with good immune systems very ill unless vaccinated. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

When was the last time there were 80 road deaths in a day? There were over 300 covid deaths one day last year to. I get the sentiment but better to keep to official figures same as you are with covid deaths. Today there were 21 road deaths, yesterday there were 20.

Covid got those huge 2 floor tourist coaches off the roads... they often accounted for the days of high road deaths.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

That was likely Delta not Omicron.

Possibly but likelihood to me would be Omicron as its so dominant now, considering they were both triple vaxxed, a delta breakthrough was a much rarer occurrence. Back pain is a top 5 symptom of Omicron and loss of taste is less but still present for one in 5 cases

Edited by Bkk Brian

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Would it be so simple. 

Testing has been cited in the UK as the great saviour, although it is debatable they had any great success beyond stopping medical facilities being overwhelmed. If you don't feel particularly ill, you likely will not get a test, nor take any action, and become a spreader. Some people haven't got the money for doctors too. That is the point of free testing. A person informed, with a socially responsible mindset, would isolate themselves. 

The staff of the NHS have been the great saviour, that despite the abject failure of the government to ever do the right thing.

Thai virologist Dr. Yong predicts daily COVID-19 infections may reach 100,000

The mighty Yong hath spoken yet again.  Coward in fear commoners. 

BTW. Everytime he makes a pronouncement regarding Covid-Doom for the rest of us, he is never wearing a mask?  ????  Hummm.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1