How to Pay True Move Cell Phone Bill from U.S.A. without a OTP SMS verification

I am currently back in the U.S. for awhile and need to pay my overdue True Move cell phone bill back in Thailand. My international roaming feature for this service is not working, and I cannot pay my bill online or via Bangkok Bank transfer without an SMS text with a OTP--which I cannot receive now that I am back in the US. I noticed that this question was brought up years ago on this forum without resolution [https://aseannow.com/topic/902741-how-to-pay-truemove-h-mobile-bill-from-overseas/ ]. Has anyone else ever had this issue and resolved it successfully?

I need to keep this cell number at least until I can (if I can) work things out with a True customer service rep in Thailand to get an OTP from Bangkok Bank in order to verify the use of their mobile banking app on a newly purchased iPhone back in the U.S. If anyone has any experience with either of these matters, I would appreciate your insights into how to go about resolving these matters. Thanks. 

I can't help you, but I do have the same problem as I don't receive the text sms from my Danish bank to be able to make a transfer to my Thai bank.

I have DTAC and they say that my number is not blocked for sms or text sms so I am stranded there.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, perconrad said:

I can't help you, but I do have the same problem as I don't receive the text sms from my Danish bank to be able to make a transfer to my Thai bank.

I have DTAC and they say that my number is not blocked for sms or text sms so I am stranded there.

Similar problem for me. There is a need to be able to receive SMS anywhere in the World. Skype only allows USA subscribers to receive SMS. I haven't yet tried it but VYKE apparently allows you to receive and send SMS anywhere. You pay for a virtual mobile number but it's economical, less than £12 GBP per annum if you choose to subscribe yearly.  

This probably won't help you now, but as others have noted, you can usually pay online through the True iServices app using any credit card. I say "usually", because the system wasn't working for foreign cards for a couple of months earlier this year - it's now back online.

From your message, it sounds like your problem may have stemmed from getting a new phone while abroad. Since you're not in Thailand, you won't be able to activate banking and phone apps on the new device until you return. Do you still have the old phone? Will the apps work on that phone over WiFi? Mine do, but my bank app (for example) required me to enable that feature before leaving Thailand.

Although I have a True sim as part of an internet package, I don't use it, so I don't know whether True allows you to receive texts and calls over the internet or not. I use DTAC, which allows that using the DTAC Call app, and I believe AIS has something similar - with the app enabled, I can send and receive calls and texts anywhere, just as if I were in Thailand, at no extra cost.

I realize that these ideas probably won't help you right now (if they help at all), but they may be worth thinking about for future travels. I had been worried about paying bills while away, but it turned out that there was no issue if the apps were set up properly before leaving Thailand. But all of that does unfortunately depend on not changing phones while away, or at least keeping the old phone with Thai apps intact.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

This probably won't help you now, but as others have noted, you can usually pay online through the True iServices app using any credit card. I say "usually", because the system wasn't working for foreign cards for a couple of months earlier this year - it's now back online.

From your message, it sounds like your problem may have stemmed from getting a new phone while abroad. Since you're not in Thailand, you won't be able to activate banking and phone apps on the new device until you return. Do you still have the old phone? Will the apps work on that phone over WiFi? Mine do, but my bank app (for example) required me to enable that feature before leaving Thailand.

Although I have a True sim as part of an internet package, I don't use it, so I don't know whether True allows you to receive texts and calls over the internet or not. I use DTAC, which allows that using the DTAC Call app, and I believe AIS has something similar - with the app enabled, I can send and receive calls and texts anywhere, just as if I were in Thailand, at no extra cost.

I realize that these ideas probably won't help you right now (if they help at all), but they may be worth thinking about for future travels. I had been worried about paying bills while away, but it turned out that there was no issue if the apps were set up properly before leaving Thailand. But all of that does unfortunately depend on not changing phones while away, or at least keeping the old phone with Thai apps intact.

Good luck to you.

Most helpful information thank you!

For the OTP method of authentication I believe you have one option:  International Roaming for the time needed to pay your bill.  I just came back from the US and before I left prepaid my True postpaid account for 2 months.  In the past I made the mistake and did roaming method just to check my True account from Los Angeles and it was an extra 400 Baht on my next bill.  My True Sim was active for about 10 minutes and this cost 400 Baht.  

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

so I don't know whether True allows you to receive texts and calls over the internet or not.

TrueMove H does offer WiFi Calling, but I have no experience with it. 

I don't think it's widely used, may be limited to specific phones and hasn't been updated in five years.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eggdigital.femjo&hl=en&gl=US

The DTAC version is reliable IME.

True and DTAC are planning on merging this year.

FWIW, you can run the Bualang mBanking app on multiple phones, it was a little tricky to set up but I did it recently - there's a thread on this here someplace.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1248968-bangkok-bank-app-on-two-phones/

Setting up the app on another phone while outside of thailand? Not sure, I'd have to noodle on that.

But with an active account in good standing then there should be no issue receiving OTP SMSes from thai banks while outside of thailand. This assumes your number is registered with the bank, and you have a roaming signal or WiFi calling.

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

International Roaming for the time needed to pay your bill.

Or WiFi calling, if available.

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

My True Sim was active for about 10 minutes and this cost 400 Baht.  

Turn Mobile Data to OFF, in the phone or with True, or both. Receiving an SMS from thailand would be FREE.

10 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

For the OTP method of authentication I believe you have one option:  International Roaming for the time needed to pay your bill.  I just came back from the US and before I left prepaid my True postpaid account for 2 months.  In the past I made the mistake and did roaming method just to check my True account from Los Angeles and it was an extra 400 Baht on my next bill.  My True Sim was active for about 10 minutes and this cost 400 Baht.  

Sure, roaming is very expensive.

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Do you have K Bank internet banking? You can pay bills (if they're in your name) without OTP.

With BBL's Bualang mBanking mobile app one can pay a bill without an OTP. You can use a fingerprint or standing PIN code to enter this portion of the mobile app.

I think the OP is trying to use the BBL iBanking web portal, which does require an SMS OTP  to add a payee, or add a third-party transfer. After those are added one can make a transfer or payment without requiring an OTP.

41 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Or WiFi calling, if available.

Turn Mobile Data to OFF, in the phone or with True, or both. Receiving an SMS from thailand would be FREE.

I tried just about everything.  The problem with the OTP code authentication is it is a text message. .  Therefore, the True SIM card has to be active. SMS is a text message and goes through the sim.  It True could send an OTP via email then one could receive the code without activating the SIM card.  For me the cheapest solution has been to prepay my account for at least two months while I am out of Thailand.  

18 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

SMS is a text message and goes through the sim.

SMS does NOT require mobile data.

SMS is a GSM feature/option.

SMSes will be delivered with mobile data turned OFF.

Just need a roaming signal, or WiFi calling.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

with the app enabled, I can send and receive calls and texts anywhere, just as if I were in Thailand, at no extra cost.

Very interesting khunjeff!  Receiving calls and SMS from anywhere is free. The same international call/SMS rates apply wherever in the World you are calling from but you are charged the same rates that you would pay in Thailand.  http://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

Edited by The Fugitive

33 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Very interesting khunjeff!  Receiving calls and SMS from anywhere is free. The same international call/SMS rates apply wherever in the World you are calling from but you are charged the same rates that you would pay in Thailand.  http://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

VOIP(Voice Over Internet Protocol) is like Skype.  Skype does not require q SIM card.  I go back to the US at once or twice a year.  The only way I can get a text message sent to my True number is to activate the SIM card.  I can make calls and text via Skype as long as I have a wi-if connection.  For the purposes of this discussion an OTP code via text message has to be sent to the True number.  Only way to sent a text message to a True number is to have an active SIM card. If a True SIM card is activated outside of Thailand then international data roaming charges would apply.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

If a True SIM card is activated outside of Thailand then international data roaming charges would apply.  

Yes, for outgoing calls, texts and data usage. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

An incoming text from thailand would be free for you.

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Receiving calls and SMS from anywhere is free.

Well that's true if you're in thailand too. No charges for incoming calls and texts, no matter where they come from.

But if you're roaming then you'll pay extra for incoming calls

DTAC Call (WiFi Calling) simply extends your tariff from thailand to anywhere in the world where you have a WiFi signal, and DTAC Call enabled. You call a thai number you pay your plan number, say 1 baht/min, or minutes are deducted from your post-paid allotment. You send a text from Iceland on WiFi to thailand, 1 baht each. Someone in thailand sends you a text in Poland, you receive it for free. Someone in thailand calls you in Ireland, no cost to you. People in thailand calling or texting pay their normal in-thailand rates.

There's a best-case solution for any application, but often people have multiple requirements, and budget constraints. Data is often the biggest challenge. You can buy a data SIM here, a good idea to get you started, until you can source a local SIM.

No clue how all this helps the OP to pay his bill though?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, for outgoing calls, texts and data usage. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Well that's true if you're in thailand too. No charges for incoming calls and texts, no matter where they come from.

DTAC Call (WiFi Calling) simply extends your tariff from thailand to anywhere in the world where you have a WiFi signal, and DTAC Call enabled. You call a thai number you pay your plan number, say 1 baht/min, or minutes are deducted from your post-paid allotment. You send a text from Iceland on WiFi to thailand, 1 baht each. Someone in thailand sends you a text in Poland, you receive it for free. Someone in thailand calls you in Ireland, no cost to you. People in thailand calling or texting pay their normal in-thailand rates.

There's a best-case solution for any application, but often people have multiple requirements, and budget constraints. Data is often the biggest challenge. You can buy a data SIM here, a good idea to get you started, until you can source a local SIM.

My point is receiving an OTP authentication code from True when one outside of Thailand.  OTP codes are sent to the number associated with the True SIM card and this would require roaming on a local network.  This would not be “free”.  I have gone through this in the past when I was in Los Angeles.  I once turned on my phone for about 10 minutes and received an email and this generated an International Roaming Charge because my True Sim was roaming on the ATT network.  This was 400 Baht added to my next bill.  When a Thailand based SIM card is activated outside of Thailand and if the roaming option has been activated this will generate roaming charges.  The best way is to not turn on the Thailand SIM card and use Wi-Fi but this would not solve the OTP authentication problem with True.  OTP authentication codes are sent via text message to the number associated with the Thailand based SIM card.  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Thanks for the information. WiFi calling is relatively new. Apparently you need a suitable modern (post 2015) smartphone to use it. You've also helped the OP and others by stating an alternative which they may not have been aware of.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, sqwakvfr said:

This would not be “free”.  I have gone through this in the past when I was in Los Angeles.  I once turned on my phone for about 10 minutes and received an email and this generated an International Roaming Charge because my True Sim was roaming on the ATT network.  This was 400 Baht added to my next bill.  When a Thailand based SIM card is activated outside of Thailand and if the roaming option has been activated this will generate roaming charges.

I used my Thai sim in the UK and elsewhere in the past but only so I can receive SMS - no roaming charges. If the phone rings I don't answer it.

I specifically do not enable data which is what causes the charges you are talking about.

So it can be "free".......

Edit - just to reinforce that I do the same with my UK sim here and again - no extra charges......

Edited by topt
  • Thanks 1

Back in the old days before I started using Bangkok Bank's app, I had used their Phone Banking to top up my Thai SIM card.

It's an ancient system, but still on their website, so I'd guess it remains in service.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Self-Services/Phone-Banking

That also worked fine from abroad by calling +66 2645 5555 instead of the shortcode 1333. As long as you have a valid Bangkok Bank ATM card (debit card) and its PIN, you should be able to make your payment. Worth a shot, best of luck!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, topt said:

I used my Thai sim in the UK and elsewhere in the past but only so I can receive SMS - no roaming charges. If the phone rings I don't answer it.

I specifically do not enable data which is what causes the charges you are talking about.

Edit - just to reinforce that I do the same with my UK sim here and again - no extra charges......

Not in the US. ATT does not allow a foreing based SIM to roam on their network for 'free".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, topt said:

Thanks very much for the info. I'm going to test this out very soon!

Thanks, gentlemen, for all your ideas and thoughts about the matter. I had never heard about ding.com or mobiletopup.com before. I would be happy to use a service like that; but, I am a little leery because there were too many bad reviews; many said they were scams. Does anyone else have good experience using a top-up company like this? I am not even sure it works with post-paid accounts.

I tried the True number given by mtls2005 above; it would not go through. I cannot find even one number online that I can call in BKK or anywhere else to talk to a real person about all of this! Does anyone know another one?

My True Move H service is postpaid and should have been active and in good standing. Int'l roaming should work, but it does not. Admittedly, I did not try to set up anything at the True service center before I left--too late now. My bill is definitely more than a week overdue. And one thing is for sure: if I lose this number, I will not be able to get the BB mobile banking app set up with my account until I return to Thailand and get a new SIM and have it registered with BB so that I can receive OTPs again. I talked to the manager of the BB branch I open my account with about the matter before I left, and she said I must receive that OTP on my phone or I cannot verify my account from abroad (unless, I went to to the NY branch, maybe?!?). That seems a bit lame for 20th century technology! 

I also cannot log into my TrueID or reset my password via email, no matter how I try,  even from my old phone on which I originally set up both the BB app and the True ID app. I cannot log into anything online without an OTP. Funny, I am given the option of paying my bill (with the proper account name partially XXXed out and the right amount) by typing in my telephone number and clicking "pay." The transaction went through to my Citi account; but it registered that $0.0 was paid out. The Citi lady told me that my card was fine and would pay the bill; the problem was with True.

The BB app loaded fine on my wife's phone and accepts my BB ID and Password. With the OTP, I do not think there will be any problem at all using it from abroad, as I am doing now from the same app on my older phone.

So, I think I am forced to try to get a friend pay my bill in Thailand. And, if he can and can keep it active, I will just mail him my True SIM card to put into his phone to receive a SMS for me to help me verify my BB app on my new phone. I cannot see any other way this will work without fail. Cheers.