Legendary Pattaya rocker Lam Morrison seriously ill in ICU in area hospital for blood infection, daughter releases statement and thanks fans for support

webfact

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That seems like the work of a legend to me.

Carley Simon said it best with this song she sang many years ago.

A legend in your own time

But you're a legend in your own time
A hero in the footlights
Playing tunes to fit your rhyme
But a legend's only a lonely boy
When he goes home alone.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Carley Simon said it best with this song she sang many years ago.

A legend in your own time

But you're a legend in your own time
A hero in the footlights
Playing tunes to fit your rhyme
But a legend's only a lonely boy
When he goes home alone.

I'm a legend in my own mind!

Nice guy, i saw him a couple of times over Decades in Bangkok, Hua Hin and Pattaya, great guitar skills in his heydays.

Lam was even on Tour in Europe in 1982 as "Guitar King Of Thailand".

I hope he get well soon. 

Edited by Mentors65

10 hours ago, rumbo1 said:

Ten year olds can play this just as well if not better. Anyone who does not write their own material, makes no contribution to music development and only covers other musicians material can never be anything other than a competent player.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Ten year olds can play this just as well if not better. Anyone who does not write their own material, makes no contribution to music development and only covers other musicians material can never be anything other than a competent player.

Well nobody claimed he was Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix, but for Thailand he is pretty good and elevated the standard to be higher than rendition #4 of the night of Hotel California that The Wonderful Bar put out. 

15 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Anyone who does not write their own material, makes no contribution to music development and only covers other musicians material can never be anything other than a competent player.

YouTube is full of clueless child prodigies just as this thread is full of musically clueless pontification.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well nobody claimed he was Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix, but for Thailand he is pretty good and elevated the standard to be higher than rendition #4 of the night of Hotel California that The Wonderful Bar put out. 

They claimed he was a legend when in reality he was just a very mediocre Thai playing western hits like a parrot to westerners.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

They claimed he was a legend when in reality he was just a very mediocre Thai playing western hits like a parrot to westerners.

I am not sure one needs to be very good to be a Thai legend. And compared to most Thai bands with their mispronounced lyrics, out of tune singing and awful instrument skills.. well he was good. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 8:03 AM, rtco said:

At first I thought it was a spelling mistake ... Van not Lam Morrison ... but then I realised it wasn't. Been here 12 years and never heard of him but clearly a lot of people have some I wish him well.

Why would anyone hear of him, unless into local musicians / guitarist, or frequent visitor of a venue he plays at.

Seen him, and quite talented, but so are the pre teen kids on YouTube   ????

I remember seeing Jonny Lang & Kenny Wayne Sheppard in a bar, they weren't old enough to drink in ... ????

Legend ???  Depends if you think Wats are tourist attractions.  Then maybe so.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No dispute from me, but I was talking about labeling him "legendary", which IMO takes more than being "pretty good".

I was never in a Thai bar for the music anyway.