Sending a Notarized Document CM to Hong Kong

Barley

Hello,

I need to send a notarized document from Chiang Mai to Hong Kong.

So that means

a.) Where can I get it notarized at a reasonable cost?

b.) What is the safest yet cost effective way to send it?

I vaguely remember that the post office didn't deliver to Hong Kong for a while or if it did, it took a veeerrryyy long time.

This document should get there soon, but a day or two delay is not an issue. So therefore I probably don't want to pay huge FedEx prices, but nevertheless would like to get it there trackable and maybe by the first half of next week. I don't need pick up but can drop of the document myself at the carrier's office if it is somewhere not too far from the moat area.

Thank you for sharing your suggestions. ????

It depends on your citizenship. If you are a USA citizen, you can get it notarized by the consular section of the US Consulate-General in Chiang Mai.

If not, then try this place in the link below

https://chiangmainotarialservices.com/บริการของเรา/

For me, I used DHL express just before the Airport Plaza. Their service was quicker and less costly than Thailand Post.

Don't use Thailand Post because they are very slow and costly for international delivery. Thailand Post is mainly for local delivery.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

DHL's  web site is a bit confusing.

They quoted me 611 Baht for their cheapest option express worldwide when they pick up and I prepare the shipment online. Their drop-off at the DHL office actually is 180 Baht more expensive.

Does that seem right or did I maybe do something wrong? Their price is the same, if I put 100 gram or 500 gram, and with different envelope options. Seems high to me!?

What do you think?

8 hours ago, Barley said:

DHL's  web site is a bit confusing.

They quoted me 611 Baht for their cheapest option express worldwide when they pick up and I prepare the shipment online. Their drop-off at the DHL office actually is 180 Baht more expensive.

Does that seem right or did I maybe do something wrong? Their price is the same, if I put 100 gram or 500 gram, and with different envelope options. Seems high to me!?

What do you think?

Different DHL office will quote different prices (from my experience), go to the one near Airport Plaza.

There are two DHL offices in that area, go for the DHL express international.

They will weigh the package and give you a price. 600 is not expensive.

Thailand Post quoted me 1500-2000 baht for express service which is even higher. Whereas DHL quoted me 800-900 baht for my package so it was definitely cheaper and arrived within a few working days.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

Thailand PO to the UK is 880bht EMS track and Trace. Takes about 7days.  Hong Kong should be quicker. I don't trust couriers especially DHL as they always try to add additional charges at the point of delivery often in cahoots with local Customs. Most Thai lawyers will notarize for 1000bht per doc

Edited by chilly07
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

I don't trust couriers especially DHL as they always try to add additional charges at the point of delivery often in cahoots with local Customs.

No they do not always try to do that.

I have used them a lot for small documents like this thread is about and never had any request for additional charges at point of delivery or anyplace else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've sent documents to Hong Kong recently using EMS and Registered Mail through Thai post.

Both are trackable and have arrived within a few working days. 

Registered mail was less than half the cost of EMS.

Both were handled quickly and efficiently by the Thai Post office. 

Prices are on Thailand Post website. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Thailand PO to the UK is 880bht EMS track and Trace. Takes about 7days.  Hong Kong should be quicker. I don't trust couriers especially DHL as they always try to add additional charges at the point of delivery often in cahoots with local Customs. Most Thai lawyers will notarize for 1000bht per doc

Thailand Post quoted me exorbitant fees for the document (below 500g) that I wanted to sent last time. 880 baht is inexpensive. Which Thailand Post office is this? Anyway, it's about the same price as DHL.

It doesn't mean that just because HK is nearer to Thailand, it will be quicker. All flights will only take less than 1 day, it's the number of flights going there and the economy of scale that determine the price.

If there're lots of packages going to a certain country, the cost will be lower. It's just like the ticket for only 1 passenger in a plane is going to be more expensive than a plane full of passengers.

Edited by EricTh

On 2/23/2022 at 11:51 PM, EricTh said:

It depends on your citizenship. If you are a USA citizen, you can get it notarized by the consular section of the US Consulate-General in Chiang Mai.

If not, then try this place in the link below

https://chiangmainotarialservices.com/บริการของเรา/

For me, I used DHL express just before the Airport Plaza. Their service was quicker and less costly than Thailand Post.

Don't use Thailand Post because they are very slow and costly for international delivery. Thailand Post is mainly for local delivery.

You'll have to swallow the cost and use either FedEx or DHL as EricTH mentioned especially if its important.

Ive found FedEx cheaper IMO.

Interesting to know if the consulate is still doing that during the pandemic, very easy and straight forward if they are.

Edited by MrJ2U