COVID-19: Thailand reports 23,557 new coronavirus cases; 38 deaths, 16,131 recoveries

webfact

31 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Actually, mortality rate in Thailand is lower than US. US Covid deaths in the period from Dec. 19 to Jan. 15, when Omicron infections were at a peak, averaged 9 per 1,000 COVID cases (0.9% Mortality rate).

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/covid-is-less-severe-with-omicron-than-delta-us-study-suggests-2022-01-25/

Yes, I'm confused about the USA, but it does like Thailand, appear to be out of step.  For instance, S.Korea which is particularly fastidious about its figures declared  0.17.  I think that is much the same as the UK, Denmark, Sweden, etc.  So I wouldn't use USA or Thailand as benchmark figures (imo). 

Omicron is intrinsically a far less serious variant, though clearly still represents a real danger to the very elderly, frail, and immune suppressed, whereas Delta can be a threat to even those fit and healthy.  it's an important distinction, because we really need to focus now on the vulnerable, and not worry so much about anyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

That is 0.81% since the start of the pandemic. Given Omicron and the under counting of cases, it's likely to be ten times lower than that figure. or more. 

Havign said that, I did see some news yesterday that Omicron is 3/4 as likely to land you in hospital if you are unvaccinated, compared to delta. So Omicron is not that much less pathogenic than Delta, and still presents a problem for the unvaccinated.

Agreed.

Yet when comparing Omicon to Delta, I think someone with Omicron is around 75% less likely to end up with serious illness, which is the really important thing.  What I mean is it's not so much about virulence or being 'pathogenic', but rather disease presentation.   It's really the sheer transmissibility that potentially distinguishes Omicron from any other 'nast cold', and that's why it can't be lightly dismissed, because although the overwhelming majority suffer a plain cold (mild or heavy), many thousands end up more seriously ill all at once.  Vulnerability + high contagion + limited hospital capacity = big problem.

Yes, vaccines clearly dramatically reduce the chances still further irrespective of variant. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s daily new COVID-19 cases reach record high on Thursday

49531042877_e86ca079f2_c.jpg

Photo: The US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)

Thailand’s daily new COVID-19 cases reached a new high today (Thursday) with the official number recorded at 23,557, surpassing the record set on August 13th, 2021. Actual infections are, however, believed to be much higher, with a further 22,240 people having tested positive today, using rapid antigen tests, who are awaiting RT-PCR confirmation, bringing possible new infections today to as many as 45,797.

The daily death toll is on the rise as well, from 22 cases on February 17th to 38 cases today.

Of the 23,557 infections, 23,329 are locally acquired and 228 are among international arrivals. The Disease Control Department reported that, among the 45,797 cases found during the past 24 hours, 905 of them have developed lung infections and 240 of them require ventilators.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-daily-new-covid-19-cases-reach-record-high-on-thursday/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

it's a total misunderstanding as 2 days ago "big mouth" Anutin said  that he had everything under control

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

7-day average positivity (PCR only I guess)

2/21/2022   20.90%

2/24/2022  27.82%

Unless they just want everyone to get infected...well, probably too late for a 7-day shutdown to have much effect now.

Why would they want to shut down?? It has to spread in order to peak. Ever heard of natural immunity?

• Like 1

They are so lost in space, so plagued with arrogance, false pride, a lack of humility, and a lack of perspective, they are blinded to reality, common sense, truth, righteousmess, or anything resembling moral behavior. 

It is all about disinformation, fake news, PR, and always a total lack of substance. These guys are the classic definition of an empty suit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

When did he make those statements??? In 2020 I bet. 

No. Just a few days ago. It was all over this board. Look up the thread. Some fun replies from alot of incredulous TV members. 

He reminds me alot of another former leader in my home country. He would say or do anything. Never, ever any connection with facts, science or reality. Truth is not truth. Remember? This man defines the term empty suit. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Interestingly, with today's report, I believe Thailand just hit its all-time record high for daily new "official" COVID cases, surpassing the prior peak for the Delta wave last August of 23,418.

Today's official new cases tally was an even higher 23,557.  And of course if you add in today's not officially counted 22,240 ATK cases, then we long ago exceeded last year's combined "unofficial" peak.

Today:

607195618_Dash2022-02-24.jpg.ab87eb8ebf069d09153c64eb33288de0.jpg

August 13, 2021:

567497693_Dash2021-08-13.jpg.fee43f53e30bba526a471d2e1e2e5b09.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

The Our World in Data site will show the same, later today or tomorrow, when they update their info with Thailand's latest case count for today:

325461072_2022-02-24alltimepeakofficialcases.jpg.bafe610540fb3c59e2333ceb59ee9f5b.jpg

source link

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Omicron. The sooner these fools accept it's better to let it run and get to it's peak the better. Probally 100,000+ infections. 

I am really scratching my head over the death rate just how many died from covid? So how many died from other causes but had covid as well? Not enough info here!

2 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I am really scratching my head over the death rate just how many died from covid?

The experts in  such things -- statisticians and epidemiologists -- pretty much universally agree that the officially reported COVID death numbers in countries around the world are a considerable undercount of the actual deaths caused by COVID.

In short, there are MORE, not less, than the official counts reflect.

• Like 1

Who bloody cares.  The sooner we all catch it the better.  If those who are unvaccinated get sick and die, that's their own fault.  Time to return to normal life.  This whole situation and how this useless, incompetent and corrupt government is dealing with it, is becoming more than a bad joke.

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The experts in  such things -- statisticians and epidemiologists -- pretty much universally agree that the officially reported COVID death numbers in countries around the world are a considerable undercount of the actual deaths caused by COVID.

In short, there are MORE, not less, than the official counts reflect.

So please tell me was the deaths caused by Delta or Omicron as most here just say covid? Your experts should tell us this and I am only interested in the deaths in Thailand.

2 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Actually, mortality rate in Thailand is lower than US. US Covid deaths in the period from Dec. 19 to Jan. 15, when Omicron infections were at a peak, averaged 9 per 1,000 COVID cases (0.9% Mortality rate).

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/covid-is-less-severe-with-omicron-than-delta-us-study-suggests-2022-01-25/

The full quote is better:

"Deaths in the period from Dec. 19 to Jan. 15, when Omicron infections were at a peak, averaged 9 per 1,000 COVID cases, compared to 16 per 1,000 in the previous winter peak and 13 during the Delta wave, the study showed."

If these figures are reliable (I have no idea about it), they show that the death rate is far from being neglectible.  The death rate is more than half of the Delta or Beta variants' death rates. And as the article outlines, the Omicron wave occurred at a time when people were more vaccinated (more people and most of all more jabs).

1 minute ago, vandeventer said:

So please tell me was the deaths caused by Delta or Omicron as most here just say covid? Your experts should tell us this and I am only interested in the deaths in Thailand.

I believe, almost all of the COVID cases in Thailand right now (and many other parts of the world) are Omicron, so I'd presume the deaths are the same. People DO die from Omicron, you know that, right?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I am really scratching my head over the death rate just how many died from covid? So how many died from other causes but had covid as well? Not enough info here!

It's very easy to check, as the number of excess deaths from all causes is available and is quite reliable. If the number of Covid deaths is higher than the number of excess deaths from all causes, it is likely overestimated. If the number of Covid deaths is significantly  lower than the number of excess deaths from all causes, it is likely undercounted.

In Thailand, since the beginning of the pandemic in April 2021, the number of excess deaths compared to previous year has been consistently 3 times higher than the official Covid death numbers, including in January 2022 (1,692 excess deaths compared to January 2021 vs 575 official Covid deaths). I guess you can draw your own conclusion....

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Screenshot_20220209-134541.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

So please tell me was the deaths caused by Delta or Omicron as most here just say covid?

Take the U.S. as another example. It's all Omicron, and has been killing people there at the rate of about 2,000 per day of late (though the latest 7 day daily average has fallen to about 1,600).

"CDC Nowcast projections* for the week ending February 12, 2022, estimate the combined national proportion of lineages designated as Omicron to be 100%."

Deaths

"The current 7-day moving average of new deaths (2,021)"

"New Hospital Admissions

The current 7-day daily average for February 9–February 15, 2022, was 8,642.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe, almost all of the COVID cases in Thailand right now (and many other parts of the world) are Omicron, so I'd presume the deaths are the same. People DO die from Omicron, you know that, right?

Very few, it's all guess work unless you can answer my question.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yet when comparing Omicon to Delta, I think someone with Omicron is around 75% less likely to end up with serious illness

Well Omicron has issues with infecting the lungs compared to Delta, that's the difference between Omicron and all the other variants, including the original one.

It lives and multiplies in the upper respiratory tract and appears to have 'evolved' in such a way that it's very effective at infecting the lungs of mice, but not humans - which is a really useful development for humans but the mouse population are probably not doing so well.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

They are so lost in space, so plagued with arrogance, false pride, a lack of humility, and a lack of perspective, they are blinded to reality, common sense, truth, righteousmess, or anything resembling moral behavior. 

It is all about disinformation, fake news, PR, and always a total lack of substance. These guys are the classic definition of an empty suit. 

It doesn't matter anyway, anything they did would have been ineffective and even if they implemented the most strict of measures (total lockdowns) that would only result in one thing - the continued spread of Delta.

Now Omicron is spreading fast throughout the country and has been for many weeks as far as I'm concerned most of the cases should be Omicron.

Note - the only way Omicron displaces Delta completely is through massive and out of control spread - so if it is all Omicron right now then we know every number quoted to date has been less than accurate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The news comes as Thailand is set to relax rules for international arrivals from March 1st despite the continual surge in COVID-19 infections in the country.

Well there's so much COVID spreading around Thailand right now, even if everyone who arrived tested positive it would make no difference to the overall figures, not even a dent.

It's an irrelevance that they should be ignoring unless there's some new far more deadly variant spreading in other parts of the world - but that doesn't appear to be the case right now.

• Like 2