Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

16 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Ukrainian Armed Forces surround Russian troops in the Kyiv Oblast near Irpin, Bucha and Hostomel. Makariv, Bucha, Irpin, Dmitrov communities remain under constant enemy fire

Other reports claim that if they manage to surround those Russian troops and make them surrender, that's 20.000 Russians taken out of the equation.  A lot of them were apparently part of that 40 mile convoy, so they have to be pretty exhausted and fatigued.

That would give the Ukrainians a lot of fighting spirit if they manage to make them surrender.  Fingers crossed they succeed.

I just wonder where are they going to place 20.000 Russians and feed them as well in time of war, when supply lines are a big issue for the Ukrainians as well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Virt said:

Other reports claim that if they manage to surround those Russian troops and make them surrender, that's 20.000 Russians taken out of the equation.

A lot of them were apparently part of that 40 mile convoy, so they have to be pretty exhausted and fatigued.

I haven't seen any reports of that yet? ????

Russian experience in the 1990s in Grozny, Chechnya, and Homs and Aleppo in the mid-2010s in Syria, suggests that sequential urban sieges are a brutal but effective way to take cities. However, they also ensure the lasting hatred of the population and make long-term political success unlikely in conquered areas unless the population is completely driven out or killed.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/24/analysis-russia-falls-back-on-urban-siege-warfare-in-ukraine

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I haven't seen any reports of that yet? ????

British intelligence has said that there is "a realistic possibility" that Russian forces will be encircled by Ukraine's army close to the capital Kyiv in the northwestern cities of Bucha and Irpin.

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-army-encircled-ukraine-forces-kyiv-1691332

• Like 2

Ukraine says more than 400,000 of its citizens have been forcibly taken to Russia.

Ukrainian Ombudsman Lyudmyla Denisova said at a briefing Thursday that the Ukrainians were taken to by Russian troops from Mariupol and other besieged Ukrainian cities. The number includes 84,000 children. She says they are held in primitive conditions with little food and water.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-boris-johnson-business-europe-nato-f36514497d3bbdbd2cb5dbc0b7f76cc4

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Virt said:

It was in todays papers here where i live. I can't link to them since they are not in English. I can PM a link you can use google translate if you want.

It was basically a speculation, that if the news from ukraine are true and the russians are surrounded in Hostomel, Irpin and Bucha , and the ukrainians are having control over Makariv and Teterivske, then if they can get control again in Borodyanka and Ivankiv, the Russians would have a hell of a hard time getting reinforcements and supplies and it's estimated that there are between 20000 - 30000 russians at the frontline in those areas.

I just hope parts of it are true, so a huge chunk of the russian army can be taken out of the equation.

Not by killing them, but by having them surrender, which would be a huge loss of face for Putin.

Especially if it's numbers in the thousands we're talking about.

Newsweek's got the story:

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-army-encircled-ukraine-forces-kyiv-1691332

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

☹️

To be honest, much are speculations at this time,

since even the experts have no idea how this will end.

So i just cheer for the good ones, even if it's just speculations based on numerous stitched together intel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

From what I read a while back, the soldiers in the convoy were selling fuel from the trucks and using it to buy vodka.  The Ukrainians could probably get them to surrender for the promise of free vodka.  

If the Russians do surrender, those prisoners should be held in strategic buildings and civilian shelters.  Make sure the names of prisoners are circulated on social media so if they die, their families will know they were killed by a bomb from Mother Russia.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This one is certainly no more...........lol

I hope they wrote "Russian warship go F yourself" on top the the missiles.....

It's great Ukraine are fighting back and now are gaining back ground.

I'm impressed how well Ukraine are doing against the Russian army which thankfully seems to be in a very bad shape.

I just fear what Putin has up his sleeve.

I think he has an even bigger problem with Losing face, compared to some Thai "politicians" and he will probably do everything it take to come out victorious from this war.

If Ukraine captures a ton of the Russian soldiers i wouldn't be surprised if the Russians deliberately shelled those camps, to blaim Ukraine of mass murdering the Russian prisoners of war.

Just to have an excuse to escalate the war and using even more horrifying weapon's in the arsenal.

But no matter what I'm forever thankful for the Ukrainians that are fighting for the freedom in Europe.

Hopefully Putin realize he is fighting a lost war before it explodes info WW3.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Virt said:

Wouldn't be surprised if some Russians were looking for booze.

After main Denmark were liberated in WW2, The Russians occupied Bornholm, a danish island, for a year until they left.

They were liberators since they pushed out Germany from the island and overall they had a good reputation.

Later it was known that some of them group raped danish women, drank all they could find, broke into homes to steal food and so on.

It's the same stories we are now hearing from Ukraine.

Raping, drinking and breaking into homes to steal food.

On top of that they are slaughtering innocent civilians.

Putins finest......

????

... and exactly as told by eye witnesses in Hungary or (eastern part of) Austria, just for couple more examples. Nothing changed.

By no means forgotten, any opportunities for a nice payback - with interest - will still be welcomed ...

• Like 2

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-22-22/h_4aa55d4c2ec98e8dc098fb1c481560db

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-23-22/h_ac0ddf0ed676e5a2da25c2a6b9d62d49

Kherson and Mykolaiv: A senior US defense official said Ukrainians are fighting to take back the southern city of Kherson, as well as pushing Russian forces from the northeast of Mykolaiv, forcing them to reposition south of the city.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This one is certainly no more...........lol

If you look at 00:50 seconds you will see a second warship on fire in the background. :drunk:

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris.B said:

If you look at 00:50 seconds you will see a second warship on fire in the background.

I like that footage in the end of all those warships hauling @ss to get the hell away from that burning ship, but it looks like at least one is on fire as well, possibly two. Pity the Ukrainians didn’t have enough firepower to damage/sink those ships too.

Legend has it that Hitler threw enormous fits when he received bad news from the Russian front. When he gets news like this, I can imagine Putin stomping his little feet and screaming at his generals as well. Hope he gets a massive brain aneurism and lives out the rest of his pathetic life as a vegetable on life support. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

If you look at 00:50 seconds you will see a second warship on fire in the background. :drunk:

Yep. Second ship probably caught some burning debris blown out from the first one on its deck.

Dockside ship ablaze looks like it was carrying at least a partial cargo of munitions. Nasty.

Time to get the flock out of Dodge. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yep. Second ship probably caught some burning debris blown out from the first one on its deck.

I disagree, your eyes are no good! 00:45 seconds clearly shows the ship in the background on fire, not some debris blown on by the wind. 

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not only does war criminal Putin "need" to win but China "needs" Putin to win too. Thus hoping I am wrong WW3 has already started and/or is inevitable.

Don't worry about China. Russia can't mount an invasion overground, a seaborne invasion of Taiwan by China will be much more difficult. I can imagine Chinese losses of hundreds of thousands of military personnel, even if they win. Don't forget, Taiwan have long range missiles and can hit the Chinese mainland. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Credo said:

From what I read a while back, the soldiers in the convoy were selling fuel from the trucks and using it to buy vodka.  The Ukrainians could probably get them to surrender for the promise of free vodka.  

If the Russians do surrender, those prisoners should be held in strategic buildings and civilian shelters.  Make sure the names of prisoners are circulated on social media so if they die, their families will know they were killed by a bomb from Mother Russia.   

Placing prisoners of war to act as human shields is a breach of the Geneva Convention.

Treating captured Russians humanely and getting that message out to other Russian troops and Russian civilians is a far smarter play, not to exclude far more moral, and in the battle for hearts and minds morality matters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

I disagree, your eyes are no good! 00:45 seconds clearly shows the ship in the background on fire, not some debris blown on by the wind. 

And what started that fire, Hawkeye?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1