Photo depicting victim blaming goes viral, sparking heated sexual harassment debate

webfact

te.jpg

By Natcha Patanasophon

A cartoon illustration has caused heated debate over sexual harassment and victim blaming in the workplace. It all started when a hugely popular Facebook account under the name, “Contrast,” posted a new illustration this week.

Contrast is a digital content creator who delivers social stories with different perspectives. The account shares comic-like cartoon drawings that compare people’s different perspectives to any given situation with an edgy twist for effect.

The viral illustration shows two women who were both sexually harassed over the phone. The first woman was shamed for “provoking sexual harassment” as she is depicted wearing revealing clothes. The other woman was supported by her colleagues  as they felt empathy for her because she wore modest clothing.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/37895/photo-depicting-victim-blaming-goes-viral-sparking-heated-sexual-harrasment-debate/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-02-25

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

4 hours ago, Enzian said:

For an intelligent man, a woman wearing revealing clothes is simply an amusing statement about human nature and the necessary perpetuation of the species. For an unintelligent man it is something else, and therein lies the problem because there are a lot of idiots.

Intelligent educated people more often fall foul of using people for there own gratification 

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

As EX Prince Andrew found out.

I have seen well before Prince Andrew how educated well off men  behave with women .

Enzian appears to believe it is uneducated stupid people are the offenders . I have not witnessed that myself .

Prince Andrew at this point of time is not a ex prince .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

If only it was 200.

Because 100 years ago they all used to walk around with their norks out. 

After a while that becomes pretty boring don't you think......

Some of the topless bathers on European beaches I used to see when younger left me permanently scarred......????

There's no excuse for verbal or physical harassment, but even men will be treated differently because of their clothing.  You cannot complain if you are treated differently (within the law) if you are dressed more provocatively.

There are no excuses for harassing, groping, raping etc., anyone, but you can't just do whatever you want and expect no reaction at all.

The problem is that women are generally passive in dating and relationships and men are active.  So men pursue women because they have to.  This can cause problems where men end up pursuing women who they think are more "available" than they actually are.

Life is complicated, relationships even more so.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

As EX Prince Andrew found out.

Unfortunately he is still a prince. That can't be taken away from him it is a title signifying his relationship to the Queen. However all his appointed titles have been stripped from him (Colonel in chief etc.). Apparently he is a very arrogant man who revels in his status as a prince of the realm and pushes it in other peoples faces.

Edited by RobU
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, topt said:

After a while that becomes pretty boring don't you think......

Some of the topless bathers on European beaches I used to see when younger left me permanently scarred......????

I visited a public nude beach on St. Martins Island in the Bahamas years ago. It was popular with Europeans.

As you say, it was not attractive.