Thailand’s Rural Doctor Society complains of serious Favipiravir shortage

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-75-1.jpg

The Rural Doctor Society (RDS) is complaining of a serious shortage of anti-viral Favipiravir medicine, to the extent that several hospitals have restricted its distribution to COVID-19 patients, except to those who are over 80.

In its Facebook post yesterday (Saturday), the RDS said that, since last September, Favipiravir had been readily available, because the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) increased production and infections by the Delta variant were reducing steadily. This had prompted the Ministry of Public Health to order state hospitals to prescribe the anti-viral medicine to all who become infected, no matter whether they were asymptomatic or had only mild symptoms.

With the steady but rapid spread of Omicron variant infections since last November, the RDS said that several rural hospitals and community isolation facilities are now experiencing serious shortages of Favipiravir.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-rural-doctor-society-complains-of-serious-favipiravir-shortage/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-28

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Ah yes the famous Thai 30 Baht scheme, glad the family listened to me and agreed on private cover, at the end of the day, it's not about the money, it's about getting proper treatment and readily available meds.

The above said, I would hate to be an expat attending a public hospital with Covid symptoms and being told, sorry no can give, because we have a shortage and you are not over 80, go home and rest, if you not feel better in 5 day come back see us again.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet in another OP running the Government denies there is a shortage.  Waiting on someone being charged with a defamation suit......Just be transparent Thailand and stop all the feces slinging.

There is no shortage .... in  Bangkok!

That is where the supplies are and that is why there is a shortage in the rural areas.

This government thinks that Thailand is Bangkok. Nowhere else matters.  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

1) Before the introduction of the "30 Baht scheme" many Thais simply had no effective access to medical care. The scheme has many shortfalls, but it has established universal access to health care. 

2) Similarly many Thais cannot afford health insurance.

3) Expats are treated on exactly the same terms by the clinical staff in the government hospitals.

The differences occur, in my experience, when MOPH civil servants get involved

4) I have, unfortunately, used the Thai national health service extensively over the last six months. I needed emergency surgery on a wound on my foot which had turned (very) septic. The treatment was excellent (the food was <deleted>.) My insurance declined to pay, although the wound was an accident (stepping on a wire sticking out of the ground) they claimed that it was exacerbated by an existing condition. I was treated nevertheless, and then we sat down and worked out how to pay, on very reasonable terms.

I do not want to digress from the main topic but faranngs pay double , treble or x 10 the price that a Thai will pay in a government hospital , now overpricing for farangs is government approved .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Any conclusive study that proves the efficacy of Favipiravir? I've seen nothing, they just keep using it for some reason. 

Not that I've seen. Most of the studies I've looked at show it's no more effective than a placebo.

Here's just one example (the others say pretty much the same thing).

In this clinical trial, favipiravir therapy in mild COVID-19 patients did not reduce the time to viral clearance within 15 days of starting the treatment.

Efficacy of favipiravir in adults with mild COVID-19: a randomized, double-blind, multicentre, placebo-controlled clinical trial

Another study I looked at said the placebo group actually had better outcomes.

The only treatment that seems to have good efficacy numbers is Paxlovid but it's expensive - $530 to $700 for a five-day course of treatment in the US. Although there are apparently discounts for "low and middle income countries."

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

1) Before the introduction of the "30 Baht scheme" many Thais simply had no effective access to medical care. The scheme has many shortfalls, but it has established universal access to health care. 

That is something I didn't know, that said, depending on the hospital, misdiagnoses in 3 separate incidents was found out at the local hospital were we live, how many go undiagnosed I would have to think.

1st was me being constantly told that I was getting better (3 weeks) 3 visits, two different types of antibiotics, oxygen, chest x-rays, went to a private, x-ray of chest then and signas area, diagnoses chest infection, antibiotics, puffer with steroids, after an hour of taking puffer and antibiotics, felt much better and just kept getting better, i.e. didn't feel like I was dying from lack of oxygen getting into my airways.

2nd time, teenage boy broke a bone near his elbow in an accident, x-ray, he ok, strain, get better couple of weeks, even I could see something wasn't right on the x-ray, took him to private hospital, bone broken near elbow, plaster on the arm to reset it.

3rd time mother-in-law fainted, she is overweight, in her mid 60's, doesn't exercise or eat right, given blood pressure tablets when her reading was 140/90, went back a week later, different doctor, keep taking the blood pressure tablets, no blood test for anything other than her glucose which apparently was all and good, 3rd time, again different Dr, gave her a needle in the backside, continue with blood pressure tablets.

We took her to a private hospital, full blood count ordered, blood pressure was as above, Cholesterol and Triglycerides above 250 given statins, referred to a dietician and given a plan and a list of foods to avoid, also told to exercise.

All of the above paid out of pocket, so to me the 30 baht scheme, depending on the hospital you go to can be not so good, but better than nothing I suppose. 

Prior to my cheat infection, I was ok with the public, for blood test, drip for food poisoning, etc, and I also went to a University Hospital in Khon Kaen to have a Basil Carcinoma removed from my face by a plastic surgeon, perfect and cheap.

As for the private cover, never had to use it for an emergency and that is fine, hopefully in the event of one, it's all and good as I have never had any issues with insurers in the past and my pre-existing condition is covered so no arguing there.

The treatment was excellent (the food was <deleted>.)

Good to hear.

My insurance declined to pay, although the wound was an accident (stepping on a wire sticking out of the ground) they claimed that it was exacerbated by an existing condition.

That has got to suck, are you still with them and can you mention any name ?.

I was treated nevertheless, and then we sat down and worked out how to pay, on very reasonable terms.

Too easy.

1 hour ago, superal said:

I do not want to digress from the main topic but faranngs pay double , treble or x 10 the price that a Thai will pay in a government hospital , now overpricing for farangs is government approved .

OK: 38k for two operations, both requiring a general anaesthetic, and 10 days in hospital; including two follow up consultations. Paid 7k a month until bill cleared.

Each visit to my local hospital to have the wound cleaned, examined and dressed (initially daily, now every three days) costs B180.

Certainly not 10 times what a Thai would pay.

Edited by herfiehandbag

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ah yes the famous Thai 30 Baht scheme, glad the family listened to me and agreed on private cover, at the end of the day, it's not about the money, it's about getting proper treatment and readily available meds.

The above said, I would hate to be an expat attending a public hospital with Covid symptoms and being told, sorry no can give, because we have a shortage and you are not over 80, go home and rest, if you not feel better in 5 day come back see us again.

Agreed, but what happens when all the private beds are full?

40 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

That is something I didn't know, that said, depending on the hospital, misdiagnoses in 3 separate incidents was found out at the local hospital were we live, how many go undiagnosed I would have to think.

1st was me being constantly told that I was getting better (3 weeks) 3 visits, two different types of antibiotics, oxygen, chest x-rays, went to a private, x-ray of chest then and signas area, diagnoses chest infection, antibiotics, puffer with steroids, after an hour of taking puffer and antibiotics, felt much better and just kept getting better, i.e. didn't feel like I was dying from lack of oxygen getting into my airways.

2nd time, teenage boy broke a bone near his elbow in an accident, x-ray, he ok, strain, get better couple of weeks, even I could see something wasn't right on the x-ray, took him to private hospital, bone broken near elbow, plaster on the arm to reset it.

3rd time mother-in-law fainted, she is overweight, in her mid 60's, doesn't exercise or eat right, given blood pressure tablets when her reading was 140/90, went back a week later, different doctor, keep taking the blood pressure tablets, no blood test for anything other than her glucose which apparently was all and good, 3rd time, again different Dr, gave her a needle in the backside, continue with blood pressure tablets.

We took her to a private hospital, full blood count ordered, blood pressure was as above, Cholesterol and Triglycerides above 250 given statins, referred to a dietician and given a plan and a list of foods to avoid, also told to exercise.

All of the above paid out of pocket, so to me the 30 baht scheme, depending on the hospital you go to can be not so good, but better than nothing I suppose. 

Prior to my cheat infection, I was ok with the public, for blood test, drip for food poisoning, etc, and I also went to a University Hospital in Khon Kaen to have a Basil Carcinoma removed from my face by a plastic surgeon, perfect and cheap.

As for the private cover, never had to use it for an emergency and that is fine, hopefully in the event of one, it's all and good as I have never had any issues with insurers in the past and my pre-existing condition is covered so no arguing there.

Good to hear.

That has got to suck, are you still with them and can you mention any name ?.

Too easy.

I suppose that you get good and bad hospitals. Chiang Rai Provincial Hospital is a big teaching hospital with very good surgical teams. My local rural hospital has limited services but provides good treatment. Anything major they ship you straight off to Chiang Rai. I was in surgery within three hours of polling up at my local hospital and showing them my foot. I suppose hospitals vary, maybe I am lucky, maybe you were not?

As for the insurance, I am diabetic and 64 and so cannot get general health cover. I have accident insurance, which should have covered me, but they refused. I stepped on a piece of rebar wire sticking out of the ground whilst walking my dog, the result of some clown filling a pothole with a smashed up concrete fence pole; by any sensible definition that was an accident? I am now dealing with the ombudsman. The policy lapses in April, I will look elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

Yes, sadly, the double+ pricing is policy here but where else in the world can you order drugs online and have them delivered without a prescription? 

22 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

OK: 38k for two operations, both requiring a general anaesthetic, and 10 days in hospital; including two follow up consultations. Paid 7k a month until bill cleared.

Each visit to my local hospital to have the wound cleaned, examined and dressed (initially daily, now every three days) costs B180.

Certainly not 10 times what a Thai would pay.

There are, I think, 5 tiers of pricing at govt. hospitals? There was a thread about this last year. A Dutch engineer from Hua Hin(?) went to court about the pricing and very sadly lost his case.

Edited by rbkk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suppose that you get good and bad hospitals. Chiang Rai Provincial Hospital is a big teaching hospital with very good surgical teams. My local rural hospital has limited services but provides good treatment. Anything major they ship you straight off to Chiang Rai. I was in surgery within three hours of polling up at my local hospital and showing them my foot. I suppose hospitals vary, maybe I am lucky, maybe you were not?

As for the insurance, I am diabetic and 64 and so cannot get general health cover. I have accident insurance, which should have covered me, but they refused. I stepped on a piece of rebar wire sticking out of the ground whilst walking my dog, the result of some clown filling a pothole with a smashed up concrete fence pole; by any sensible definition that was an accident? I am now dealing with the ombudsman. The policy lapses in April, I will look elsewhere.

Agree, our local for basic stuff has worked out, like I said, drip for food poisoning. The Dr's look so young and you have to wait for hours on end, unless it's an emergency.

As for Khon Kaen University/Teaching hospital, very good.

I had to ask which insurer or company it was that knocked you back, and good for you taking it to the Ombudsman, as those types of insurers will do a numbers game, i.e. 9 out of 10 won't bother, and trying to blame sepsis on a pre-existing condition is just plan wrong. They will try anything, that said as long as you disclosed your pre-existing condition within the policy, the Ombudsman should see straight through this.

Good luck with the Ombudsman, hope he sticks it right up them.

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well your private bed at home should be able to be used by you and if you have a missus or such them, so home isolation is the way to go.

Will the private insurance offer something/discount when private beds are full or is it just tough sh*t? Will they pay up for you having to use your own private bed at home due to their inability to secure a private bed (If all full) at a hospital?