Why do we continue to receive smaller pensions than European expats?

webfact

22 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Any person retiring should be able to get the increases especially on the British Old Age pension, however most people knew that Thailand was not going to be uprated as others were, not only Thailand by the way . 

For years many have been campaigning for this restriction to be lifted and still it has not despite going to the Supreme Courts in the land and even the EU when we belonged .

No point complaining, move or put up with it, everyone knows and many sympathise, just think of those that still , although retired pay UK Income tax. 

UK continues to be commited to the European Human Righs Court decisions despite Brexit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know how the OP got 185 pounds/week nearly 7 years back.

He said £177.50?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

and they gave me GBP177.50 a week. 

Probably because of SERPS or similar - if accurate.........

• Like 1

Im shocked over ur low pension.Mine is almost 4.500 pound a month.But im from another countrynorway)If yoy compare to ex sweden and finland their pension is much lower.My friend have worked in norway for 20 years,but never paid tax here for secure a higher pension.NOW he really regret because mixed with the sweden and finland pension he only got about 23.000 bath.So he is refused to stop work until he day he die ha told me.

Edited by stigar
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, itsari said:

Reality for most foreign pensioners living in Thailand . 

Manageable to live on 15000 a month if you own your home . 

You appear to be the one out of touch with reality 

The common area maintenance charge, plus my water and electricity at my housing resort is around 10,000. Wouldn't leave much except for somtam and rice, and pray not to get sick. 

• Thanks 1

I just checked the lowest pention rate for Norwegians for single (couple get less), and it is 67 670,- baht with yesterdays transfer rate bank to bank from Norway to Thailand. 

That is a huge gap.

Norway do not index regulate

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, itsari said:

Reality for most foreign pensioners living in Thailand . 

Manageable to live on 15000 a month if you own your home . 

You appear to be the one out of touch with reality 

But what visa does that qualify for.  Does explain why more than a few left Thailand due to Brexit / GBP drop.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I just checked the lowest pention rate for Norwegians for single (couple get less), and it is 67 670,- baht with yesterdays transfer rate bank to bank from Norway to Thailand. 

That is a huge gap.

Norway do not index regulate

I get 44721 NOK every month.I get a high pension because its higher if get an goverment approved pension after a accident at work offshore.From 20 of march 2 different incurecompines will pay me about 3000 NOK extra pr month.In 2018 the incurance gave me almost 2,6 million NOK after the accident.THey also gave me 70.000 NOK  for future transportbills.So its a big different depends what country ur from and pay ur tax to.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

You’re assuming his pension is his only income

Yes, I am, hence the problem with some currency movements. However, it might not be. In that case I will guess savings, that will not last enough long time. Otherwise no need to worry, right?

Too many people do the big mistake of putting their trust into big dreams of air. Just doesn´t work in the long run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stigar said:

I get 44721 NOK every month.I get a high pension because its higher if get an goverment approved pension after a accident at work offshore.From 20 of march 2 different incurecompines will pay me about 3000 NOK extra pr month.In 2018 the incurance gave me almost 2,6 million NOK after the accident.THey also gave me 70.000 NOK  for future transportbills.So its a big different depends what country ur from and pay ur tax to.

You got a disability pention based on your earlier average income for the last 5 years, and supposed to cover your future losses, not a pention after been working your whole life and already should have built up and secured your life. And insurance have nothing to do with pentions, that is additional to your pention. 

Tread starter talking about minimum pentions and the differences betwen the europeen countries. 

• Like 1