Smoking at restaurant, outside area

federicoP

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Do you have a link for this? I don't find it

https://www.tobaccocontrollaws.org/legislation/country/thailand/summary

Many thanks, Sheril, it appears to me that, under the law published on the Government Gazzette on the 5th of November 2018, all the "Areas that sell or serve food, beverage, or food" fall under paragraph 6.
Paragraph 6 states that "the identified areas, including all areas measured 5 metres from the identified areas, or from the doors, windows, entrances-exits, air ducts or passages are designated as non-smoking areas"

My english is poor, but if my undertanding is correct, it looks quite clear

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Many thanks, Sheril, it appears to me that, under the law published on the Government Gazzette on the 5th of November 2018, all the "Areas that sell or serve food, beverage, or food" fall under paragraph 6.
Paragraph 6 states that "the identified areas, including all areas measured 5 metres from the identified areas, or from the doors, windows, entrances-exits, air ducts or passages are designated as non-smoking areas"

My english is poor, but if my undertanding is correct, it looks quite clear

Yes if that is whatitt says then technically it is illegal to smoke within 5 meters of restaurant door or window.

Getting that enforced will be well nigh impossible.

Laws, rules etc are irrelevant I am afraid. There is no way you will stop people smoking outside.......and it might be quite unhealthy for you to even try. 

I'm a non-smoker and always looked forward to sitting outside in the German bars and cafes where we lived........but of course all the smokers sit outside!!!!!

23 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Laws, rules etc are irrelevant I am afraid. There is no way you will stop people smoking outside.......and it might be quite unhealthy for you to even try. 

I'm a non-smoker and always looked forward to sitting outside in the German bars and cafes where we lived........but of course all the smokers sit outside!!!!!

plenty of masks can be purchased

• Confused 1

On 3/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, Sheryl said:

Yes if that is whatitt says then technically it is illegal to smoke within 5 meters of restaurant door or window.

Getting that enforced will be well nigh impossible.

Politely ask the smokers to move away as the smoke is wafting into the restaurant and disturbing peoples meals , quite often works 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eezergood said:

I also read the same  no-smoking rule a few years ago but as I read tons of articles almost everyday, I forgot which article that was. 

Smoking inside restaurants or eateries are banned but not many Thai people know about it because they don't follow the news and the enforcement is poor.

If we see a Thai person smoke inside the eatery/restaurant, just tell them nicely not to smoke and he/she will listen. That's from my experience.

It's usually the farang who refused to listen.

I would appreciate it If somebody could direct me to a Thai language article on the non-smoking rule inside eateries .

Edited by EricTh

On 3/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, federicoP said:

Does anyone know which is the updated exact law about [...]

You are in Thailand. There are no such things as exact laws. There are kind of recommendations which many people ignore.

Don't forget, TiT.

On 3/2/2022 at 1:33 PM, EricTh said:

I would appreciate it If somebody could direct me to a Thai language article on the non-smoking rule inside eateries .

The official Thai language text about smoking restrictions in restaurants appears to be in the link https://www.thaizer.com/thailand-introduces-stricter-smoking-laws/ which eezergood has kindly posted and which you have quoted:

…Smoking is already prohibited inside many venues and on public transport. The key point from the new law is that smoking is banned if it is directly outside various public buildings. There is now a 5-metre ‘exclusion zone’ outside public entrances and exits where it is illegal to smoke…

In the above quote, click on the link new law and you are brought to a news article dated 6 November 2018 that includes the following text:

…The Public Health Ministry will enforce bans in 81 newly listed no-smoking zones in 90 days, including airport terminals, ATMs and hotel lobbies - but smoking areas will be allowed in some zones.

The list was published in the Royal Gazette on Monday…

All you have to do now is find the issue of the Royal Gazette dated 5 November 2018, which is the Monday before the publication of the abovementioned news article. I wonder if someone reading this can help. https://ratchakitcha2.soc.go.th/ might be a good place to start.

Edited by Puccini
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Puccini said:

The official Thai language text about smoking restrictions in restaurants appears to be in the link https://www.thaizer.com/thailand-introduces-stricter-smoking-laws/ which eezergood has kindly posted and which you have quoted:

No, it's in English. I want to show to a Thai owner who can't read English beyond the simplest words.

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

No, it's in English. I want to show to a Thai owner who can't read English beyond the simplest words.

Yes, the Thaizer article is in English.

Yes, the new article to which a link is given in the Taizer article is in English.

The publication in the Royal Gazette, which is referred to in the news article, is in Thai. This is what you need. FriendlyFarang has posted links to this publication in the Royal Gazette. Click on those links and get somebody who reads Thai to help you with it, then print it out for you to show around wherever you like.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:33 PM, EricTh said:

Smoking inside restaurants or eateries are banned but not many Thai people know about it because they don't follow the news and the enforcement is poor.

That's not been my experience. Nearly everywhere I go, restaurants and bars, Thais will go outside to smoke. 

41 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

That's not been my experience. Nearly everywhere I go, restaurants and bars, Thais will go outside to smoke. 

There are foreigners who do not know about this rule, I've seen them smoke inside Thai eateries.

Some Thai owners also don't know about these rules and let their customers smoke inside the eateries.

Edited by EricTh

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

There are foreigners who do not know about this rule, I've seen them smoke inside Thai eateries.

Some Thai owners also don't know about these rules and let their customers smoke inside the eateries.

I'm sure that's true. But I've not seen it in years. In Bangkok anyway. 

At the end I wrote a review on Tripadvisor saying that that the food was good, but that my dinner has been spoilt by the strong smoke coming from my neighbor table.

The staff even brought to this man an ash tray to make him feeling mor comfortable.....
I asked if smoking is forbidden in their rerstaurant : if yes they have to respect the law, if it is not it would be nice to create separate areas for people that like smoking while eating and for people that don't (the restaurant is enough big to accomodatre evrybody).
Let's see if they will answer me, it is a big restaurant chain.

Of course I talked to the maid while at the restaurant and I got the usual embarrassed smile : "solly, solly", but did not do anyting.
And, of course, the smoking man was at least the double of my wheigh and one half of my age, grunting and smoking while eating ????