Russian and Ukrainian tourists in Thailand beginning to face financial transaction and travel problems due to sanctions, invasion

webfact

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

As far as I know there is no other carriers to/from Russia left. And the remaining tourists will have a difficult time to return home.

Special arrangements?

Charter?

The major ticket distribution systems, like SABRE and Amadeus, have stopped processing agreements with AEROFLOT.

I assume immigration will grant these folks Invasion Extensions?

But if they can't pay  - credit cards not being processed - not sure what will happen?

And those on legitimate extensions may face income/money-in-bank challenges.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:33 AM, wombat said:

I'm disgusted with the negativity shown towards Russians by members on this thread.

Speak to a Russian and ask what their opinion is before decrying them.

When I saw George Bush calling out Putin for invading a sovereign nation with no provocation was when I went.... what the fornicate?

I was going to give you a like until I saw these words ".... what the fornicate?" I just don't understand this, I apologise if you are not an English Native Speaker.

• Haha 2

On 3/2/2022 at 8:46 AM, RocketDog said:

Holding individuals responsible for the actions of their governments is short-sighted, misguided, and frankly ignorant.

I hope you didn't mean that to sound as bigoted as it came out in print.

I wonder how many farangs are blaming their wives for a bunch of tinpot soldiers backed up by guns overthrowing a democracy elected government here in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/2/2022 at 8:54 AM, bunnydrops said:

I am against all wars. But I do think people should see both sides of the picture.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/neo-nazis-far-right-ukraine/

There is no excuse for any country in the world to invade any other country against the will of that other countries people, especially if they are killing innocent people like women and children as the news reports say the Russians have been doing.

Just remember, you cannot blame the ordinary Russian people for what that despot Putin is responsible for.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, daejung said:

And now Visa and Mastercard suspended their services in Russia. Russian travellers can no longer use these credit cards

Does that mean they have only suspended their services in Russia or Russian issued cards are suspended everywhere.? 

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2022 at 10:14 AM, Neeranam said:

Interesting. Are the soldiers held at gunpoint to join the army?

This is a war and drastic measures ensue. I urge all hotel owners and other business owners to ban Russians. 

"Are the soldiers held at gunpoint to join the army?"

For the countries who still have compulsary national service. then the answer is yes. ie, if protesters here in Thailand storm the government after the pandemic finishes to get rid of the unelected PM, if Thailands history is anything to go by, then you can bet the soldiers will use guns on them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I was going to give you a like until I saw these words ".... what the fornicate?" I just don't understand this, I apologise if you are not an English Native Speaker.

It's a euphemism for a four-letter word which is automatically deleted on this forum.

Took me back to an episode of "The Sweeney" where John Thaw questions a Scottish detective:

Thaw: "Who or what is hob ma gandy?"

Scot: "Fornication."

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Do you think that Putin represents the views of the Russian people? If so, why the need to lie to them about what he is actually ordering the military to do in Ukraine? Why the need to immediately quell any protest in Russian cities against his war (for that is what it is).

If the war is in fact what the people of Russia want, then why shouldn't those outside of Russia have strong feelings against ordinary Russian citizens?

Or is the reality that this war was brought on by a dictator that is holding on the desire to reinstate an empire that collapsed 3 decades ago. An empire that the majority of his subjects never saw in their lifetime. An empire that was built on suppression, threat and the inability to form ones own beliefs. An empire that requires any neighbouring country to give up any right they have to self determination. An empire built on "we think you are a threat to us, so we will attack you".

Do you think any Ukrainians want to see their own homeland become another Belarus?

Saw this video which makes me believe, we're going to see a long war in Ukraine:

While some will disagree, I think it's well articulated and supported.

This article (not sure if BBC links are allowed) shows that Russian media has possibly stronger grip on people than many other parts of the World: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60600487

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Putin is now squealing the sanctions are "an act of war".

IMO he thought the insulation he had built up in foreign reserves and fuel supply were enough to protect Russia from economic collapse. Now he is finding his Central Bank can't access those foreign reserves. The Europeans are cancelling energy projects and looking for supply elsewhere. Foreign companies are stampeding for the exits.

He's facing a prolonged insurgency in the Ukraine, and economic disaster at home. His only lifeline is China, good luck with that.

Back to the Cold War, everyone knows how that ended.

If Putin thinks sanctions are an act of war, then we are already at WW3, so what is NATO waiting for?

I empathize with the Russian and Ukrainian people who are stuck in other countries.  Unless they came with some hard currency like Euro's or USD whatever purchasing power they thought they had with Rubles is now worth either very little or nothing at all.  If they can't access money back from their home country or use credit cards I can't imagine what alternatives they have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longwood50 said:

I empathize with the Russian and Ukrainian people who are stuck in other countries.  Unless they came with some hard currency like Euro's or USD whatever purchasing power they thought they had with Rubles is now worth either very little or nothing at all.  If they can't access money back from their home country or use credit cards I can't imagine what alternatives they have. 

Not many I suppose.

They are in effect a kind of refugee but a kind that are not likely to be seen as a.priority group compared to.women and children fleeing Ukraine.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I am.

timing is everything and when opportunity present's itself  ????  rhetoric sounds/looks familiar and hope the US holds their word

https://au.yahoo.com/news/china-pledge-taiwan-peace-reunification-095004377.html

China pledge Taiwan peace, 'reunification'

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has pledged to advance a "peaceful growth in relations" with Taiwan on the way to "reunification", and said his government firmly opposes any separatist activities or foreign interference.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not many I suppose.

They are in effect a kind of refugee but a kind that are not likely to be seen as a.priority group compared to.women and children fleeing Ukraine.

Russians "refugee's" will not be starting "Go Fund Me" accounts soon  555

Edited by Mavideol

Has any self identified Russian posted to AN and criticized Putin and Russia?  Some apparently joined the Ukrainian led protest a week or so ago in Bangkok. But I just wondered if any posted in protest on this forum. 

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Has any self identified Russian posted to AN and criticized Putin and Russia?  Some apparently joined the Ukrainian led protest a week or so ago in Bangkok. But I just wondered if any posted in protest on this forum. 

I haven't seen any. For good reason I suspect.

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Charter?

The major ticket distribution systems, like SABRE and Amadeus, have stopped processing agreements with AEROFLOT.

I assume immigration will grant these folks Invasion Extensions?

But if they can't pay  - credit cards not being processed - not sure what will happen?

And those on legitimate extensions may face income/money-in-bank challenges.

They will have to sell their properties.... And there are no Chinese to buy them.

It will be a good time to buy a condo in Jomtien! ????

Russians can still get back to Moscow using Etihad airways. Flight EY63 from AUH to SVO. Etihad has  BKK and HKT to AUH flights daily. Next available flight in economy one way on March 10, 28,885 baht. Prices are fluctuating widely, up to 134,620 baht. Cash ONLY, no Rubles.

image.png.9c9a5eecd9cc3d06024be430dcf06617.png

Edited by Banana7

4 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Russians can still get back to Moscow using Etihad airways. Flight EY63 from AUH to SVO. Etihad has  BKK and HKT to AUH flights daily. Next available flight in economy one way on March 10, 28,885 baht. Prices are fluctuating widely, up to 134,620 baht. Cash ONLY.

image.png.9c9a5eecd9cc3d06024be430dcf06617.png

Cash only....but not Roubles?