Ukraine invasion: crashing Russian rouble, sanctions deal blow to Thailand bid to revive tourism

webfact

4 hours ago, anandra said:

Most people are quite naive, they think it is all fault of Putin, the madman is a product of russian people, even now 90 percent of them totally support him and war in Ukraine. They have been tolerating him all time, during the demonstrations they did not fight him, but when russian police beat them they were standing aside taking pictures instead of fighting the police. iF Putin dies for example today, they will elect the same or worse guy, if not in the next election, but for sure in other elections, russians do not have freedom mentality, their mentality is a mentality of the slaves. Just look at their history. They cannot live without a big ruler or big chief without standing on their knees in front of him. You can see 1000 videos as russian appealed to putin fell down on their knees begging him to help in solving some problem. And yes there are good freedom thinking russians, probably 5% of the population, and most of them are in prison or abroad.

I agree with you about the fact they always had a big chef, on the otherside don't forget the media in russia say only what goverment wants. Any opposition is immediately punished with draconian prison sentences. I'm sure there are many Russians which don't agree with Putin and that fratricidal war.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Interesting perspective....democratic country invaded, innocent civilians murdered, their capital about to be destroyed.........Yes........but what about our tourist numbers.

Well, this is a board about Thailand, not Ukraine, so the perspective is from the effect on Thailand. I think the interesting perspective is yours, which completely matches the Western daily propaganda content.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Well it takes one simple step Thailand:

LEGALIZE IT!

Ganja, alcohol (it is only semi-legal here)  and dancing in the bars and the human free will and mind. You do that unambiguously and sincerely and you will be not only a tourism #1 but a world super power a star, but you won't do it. You like being a lackey to the City of London, and they know what I am referring to but do you Thailand, and you prefer to be dictated to by China by senile Joe Biden and so you have few tourists because there is nothing else than prison planet going on here isn't it?

Edited by Gilligan In Drag
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Well, this is a board about Thailand, not Ukraine, so the perspective is from the effect on Thailand. I think the interesting perspective is yours, which completely matches the Western daily propaganda content.  

And yet Thailand officially agreed that the Russian invasion should be condemned.

The price of fuel for most countries will be higher, and it will stay that way for quite a while.

I think that many people will not be able to afford a large holiday, if the costs of food, fuel,

and other expenses keep going up. The invasion of Ukraine by Russia, is affecting a lot of us all ready.

I doubt that Thailand will have a good high season, if they keep insisting on the Thailand Pass

and the present COVID tests being needed at all.  If the present restrictions exist by October.

Well many travelers will go to the other tropical places that have no restrictions. Just saying.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ThaiAl said:

I agree with you about the fact they always had a big chef, on the otherside don't forget the media in russia say only what goverment wants. Any opposition is immediately punished with draconian prison sentences. I'm sure there are many Russians which don't agree with Putin and that fratricidal war.

No more than 5%

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, friendofthai said:

Today is a good day for Vlad. He has repatriated a very big city of Kherson in Ukraine. Russians are very happy. Looks like the city of Odessa will be the next.

Repatriation is nothing but a smokescreen to Putin hanging on to the distorted ideology that Ukrainian and Russian are one and the same people. Welcome to the next stage of urban warfare in Kherson where the Ukrainians have the advantage.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Repatriation is nothing but a smokescreen to Putin hanging on to the distorted ideology that Ukrainian and Russian are one and the same people. Welcome to the next stage of urban warfare in Kherson where the Ukrainians have the advantage.  

Years ago when my Mom was in a nursing home, there was a new supervising nurse on her wing, I made the mistake of making smalltalk and saying "you are Russian, correct ?"....the Ukrainian nurse was about to put me in intensive care....

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Look at the UN. All countries make a Statement against Putin. 

Thailand stould make an official Statement as well.

Such important International crisis and the Thai government stays quiet.

"Such important International crisis and the Thai government stays quiet."

That's because they just don't know what to do. What else do you expect from a bunch of tinpot soldiers who took the country at gunpoint.

They don't have the intelligence or education to run a country, ie their health minister only has a degree in engineering. The PMs education was at a Military Academy.

Need I say more?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Guderian said:

Good to see such an objective story from an obviously unbiased source like the "South China Morning Post". I'm honestly surprised they didn't follow it up with an article from Pravda or Izvestia,

It gets better after you learn to read and discover that the article is from Bloomberg.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Repatriation is nothing but a smokescreen to Putin hanging on to the distorted ideology that Ukrainian and Russian are one and the same people.

Just results of the WW2. 100M lives were paid for the new world borders and we have a signature of Mr Roosevelt approving that Ukraine is ours and not an independent state. Looks like you want to revise WW2 borders. You are welcome to pay 100M people lives for them one more time.

Edited by friendofthai
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Years ago when my Mom was in a nursing home, there was a new supervising nurse on her wing, I made the mistake of making smalltalk and saying "you are Russian, correct ?"....the Ukrainian nurse was about to put me in intensive care....

This is like to say "you are Chinese, correct ?" 20 years ago. And the nurse from the Hong Kong would about to put you in intensive care. But the West had no choice. Hong Kong was returned to China.

Edited by friendofthai
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, tonray said:

Actor Jack Palance had a similar reaction: 

Palance, at the time chairman of the Hollywood Trident Foundation, walked out of a Russian Film Festival in Hollywood in 2004. After being introduced, Palance said, "I feel like I walked into the wrong room by mistake. I think that Russian film is interesting, but I have nothing to do with Russia or Russian film. My parents were born in Ukraine: I'm Ukrainian. I'm not Russian. So, excuse me, but I don't belong here. It's best if we leave." Palance was awarded the title of "People's Artist" by Vladimir Putin, president of Russia; however, Palance refused the title.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Palance

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Wow. You think little of sending 100M people to their deaths. Exactly why this war is wrong.

Since WW2, most of the world has learned to handle disputes through diplomacy, not war. Most of the world has since learned that innocent people don't have to die. They've learned that such is murder. Some people haven't learned this however, those with egos the size of their countries, who feel the need to talk down to their minions across from big, impressive looking tables.

I'm very glad many Russians don't share your opinion. They're opposed to this war. They don't want to see innocent civilians, their brothers and sisters dying. They're protesting and being jailed for it. The wealthy Russian oligarchs are against it, as their dear leader crashes their companies and sets their fortunes ablaze. The oligarch owner of Chelsea Football Club is selling it in an attempt to mitigate his tremendous losses. You'd think if he felt his country was on the right side of history he'd go ahead and keep the team, waiting for this to blow over.

Nope, WW2 borders aren't in dispute. These are 1991 borders, those decided at the collapse of the USSR. It was then they should've called them in dispute, not 30 years later. Since then Ukraine has been a functioning, independent state. Now we have madmen believing that millions of deaths are but a triviality, compared to serving their egos, like children beat at a tug of war.

1646266910500.png

Part of the problem is the Holomodor emptied several eastern regions of Ukraine such as the Donbas, and Russians were transplanted there to fill the void. That's Putin's excuse, he is protecting those Russians from the Nazis in Kyiv, which is propaganda that's been used erroneously since World War II. The Ukrainians very quickly learned the Nazis they embraced as liberators were no better than the Russians.

The sensible solution would be to have a UN-regulated plebiscite in each region of the Ukraine to find what each population wants, then let them do it free of Russian interference. While that is rewarding Stalin's genocide, it's preferable to the alternatives.

Unfortunately, Putin and sense seem to be poles apart.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

These are 1991 borders, those decided at the collapse of the USSR.

Have you heard of Crimea? People say that the referendum cannot be used to separate Crimea from Ukraine. Because this referendum did not take into account the opinions of the other Ukrainians that live outside the Crimea.
And what about the so-called collapse of the USSR. The referendum in Ukraine cannot be used to separate Ukraine from USSR for exactly the same reason. You should ask the opinions of the other soviet people to do this, according to the law of the USSR. This had never happened. So one day Vlad will tell you that he cancel all the illegal decisions of 1991. Just wait a little more time.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, BestB said:

I can not help but wonder if EU arrivals will not be affected by the war? as Russia closed its airspace it does mean many routes have to go around, adding 2-3 hour of flying time, which means more fuel and also means higher cost in addition to oil prices already being sky high

Flights from places like the UK don't overfly Russia usually heading to SE Asia. They would usually overfly Ukraine but can detour south. Happened during the aftermath of the MH370 shootdown

However, places like Scandinavia and northern Europe will be affected a bit as they would typically fly over land. They will have to track further south and overfly Black Sea route like UK flights would.

• Like 1