Thailand’s Tourism Authority aims to attract 10 million foreign tourists in 2022, with India as a leading focus

webfact

Really impressive numbers but forgot to mention how much Baht they will be contributing to the Thai economy. Inflationary pressures will increase air fares by at least 100% above precovid levels also unless there is a drastic devaluation of the Baht other competing  South East Asian Countries are far cheaper than Thailand. 

• Like 1

So ~ 33,000 per day., every day starting today.

Are there that many airline seats available?

COVID still hanging on.

Ukraine dust-up.

Who remembers the Indian Wedding Tourism campaign?

Thailand once again named Best Wedding Destination by Travel + Leisure India

https://www.tatnews.org/2016/12/thailand-named-best-wedding-destination-travel-leisure-india/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo6b1LM5BZs

• Like 1

When will TAT finally recognize the fact that it is Thailand's onerous entry requirements that keep the bulk of potential visitors away?

TAT can pull as many fantasy figures from its hat as they want, but that will not do anything to help bring in foreign tourists in droves.

Just last week TAT projected "10 million visitors from the Middle East" in 2022 in a ridiculously enthusiastic announcement just because the country had re-established relations with Saudi-Arabia. Either you've got to be really detached from reality or have a child-like mind (or both) if you truly believe that the mere re-establishment of relations will now suddenly cause every other Saudi national to immediately jump on a plane to Bangkok.

Just get a grip on it, TAT, and stop annoying everybody with your endless recital of wishful arrival figures as if they were some kind of magical mantra.       

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The west have other issues to deal with now, stopping Putin from going over the top.

Thailand seem only concerned with themselves and their damned tourism.

Thailand

Who would expect it to be any different

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, farangnomore said:

Do Indians know how much Thais despise them?

Well, I can only ask but a few questions:

Is it the poor personal hygiene?

Is it the strange odour that comes from eating their ethnic foods?

Is it the pushy nature?  

Is it the lack of regular laundering of clothes?

I just don't know if I missed something.

Obviously there are differences in the stereotype that we all know ( and know!) but by and large I feel that my list is quite relevant wouldn't you all say?

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Are you kidding? With the one nite quarantine still in place, they would have to consider themselves fortunate to attract 75,000 tourists per month. Once it is scrapped, they might get up to 150,000 a month for the 1st year or two. Possibly as many as 5 million a year, five years from now, if, and only if they make some of the sacrifices that they should have made years ago, like getting rid of the luxury and wine taxes. Will that ever happen? Doubtful. So, expect no more than 5 million tourists a year in our lifetime. Everything has changed, and Thailand has been forgotten by most. 

Luxury wine taxes????

Was missing this.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Luxury wine taxes????

Was missing this.

Well, you play it down and like to make fun of this, but I know many wealthy people who visited Thailand and due to having to pay ridiculous sums for a great bottle of wine, they said they would never even consider returning. Many will not come due to this. And this suppresses what could be a very dynamic and profitable industry here. 

• Like 2

So they expect oct / nov / dec 2022 to break all previous arrival record to even get close to 10m.  As this half of the dismal high season numbers is just about over.  Now heading into brutal hot, and soon rainy season.

Is ganga smoking already legal ... that's got to be some good sh!t.

Edited by KhunLA

42 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Also when he takes a girl back to his room 3 friends are waiting to join in,  well after they have finished their one bottle of chang anyway.????

"after they have finished their one bottle of chang anyway." 

Bet they didn't forget their straws. ????

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Also when he takes a girl back to his room 3 friends are waiting to join in,  well after they have finished their one bottle of chang anyway.????

That is not a myth, a bar girl from tilac bar told me this happened to her 20 years ago

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) aims to attract 10 million foreign tourists, mostly from ASEAN countries, in 2022 to revive global and domestic tourism industries."

So THAT"S why their pie in the sky forecasts are so over the top - they aren't satisfied with unrealistic forecasts for the Thai market, they are now saying that they are going to revive the global market! ????

Good luck with that! (Originally I was just going to say "Yawn!" to the "TAT - 10 million......." but I see they have now set their sights further afield by declaring themselves responsible for World tourism!)

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, you play it down and like to make fun of this, but I know many wealthy people who visited Thailand and due to having to pay ridiculous sums for a great bottle of wine, they said they would never even consider returning. Many will not come due to this. And this suppresses what could be a very dynamic and profitable industry here. 

You're right.
And despite the fact that I'm considering myself not as wealthy, I know that a good (!) glass of wine is an essential part of any nice dinner.
I myself did quit drinking wine in Thailand after the last tax hike. For that reason I stopped visiting up-market restaurants when on vacation in Thailand. A fine five course dinner with beer? No way!

Edited by Rohe60
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The west have other issues to deal with now, stopping Putin from going over the top.

Thailand seem only concerned with themselves and their damned tourism.

That’s why their support for Russia against Ukraine will haunt them

• Like 1