Doctors Say 20 Million Thais Afflicted by Metabolic Syndrome

webfact

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So they don't eat junk?

I would say not much, nothing like KFC or Mc Donalds or stuff like that. They are of Chinese decent so a lot of Chinese food. Hard for me to judge if that is junk or not. But the beef and korean BBQ stuff then they go for quality. They go for quality over quantity, that is for sure. When we have a BBQ the prices of the beef and other meat is quite high. Same goes when they go for sushi, they won't go to the cheap buffets but go where the fish is better and more expensive. 

So for the most part, i don't think they eat junk (except for the Chinese food I can't judge). Their problem is more their drinking habbits. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Eating healthy is more expensive then eating junk food, unfortunately this is true. Just try to order a salad and then see what you can buy at KFC for the same price ????

not necessarily, junk like cakes, pastries, biscuits, ice cream, chocolate, yoghurts, crisps, peanuts are usually relatively expensive and can be replaced with something a lot cheaper and more filling

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

not necessarily, junk like cakes, pastries, biscuits, ice cream, chocolate, yoghurts, crisps, peanuts are usually relatively expensive and can be replaced with something a lot cheaper and more filling

I don't  really consider those food as in something i would order for an evening meal. These are just snacks. But yes of course it can be replaced by other stuff. I was just comparing a "relatively" healthy evening meal with a junk food evening meal. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I don't  really consider those food as in something i would order for an evening meal. These are just snacks. But yes of course it can be replaced by other stuff. I was just comparing a "relatively" healthy evening meal with a junk food evening meal. 

It's the snacks that cause most people the issue

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just walking for an hour is exercise too. No need to pay for a gym. If you want to exercise there is always a way. But most just look for excuses not to do it. 

I understand it as exercise is hard, though eating healthy is harder. I mean exercise is an hour or whatever but diet is all day long.

I was talking from the vantage point of a Thai... 

Much of diet is not eating, not doing something... which can be even harder than doing something... one friend once told me that as soon as he goes on a diet, all he can think about is his next meal... 

• Like 2

I see.  Lifestyle choices leading to obesity are now "Metabolic Disease."

"Not your fault.  You suffer from disease.  Take pill."

Nope - Instead: Exercise. Eat a nutrient rich diet in moderation.  Get off your a**. 
<Tada> Cured!

• Like 1

As countries become wealthier, the obesity rate rises. Simple as that.

The only country to defy this pattern, I think, is Japan. Maybe a few others.

In Thailand, they also love sugary drinks, and add sugar to their cooking (even fried rice, yuk). Also, most dishes are fried in oil. They ain't much into boiling or roasting, like in the West.

Also, the idea of recreational exercise hasn't really penetrated yet.

Anyway, I like fat chicks, so what am I complaining about?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

I will say that it’s also linked to increase alcohol consumption in Thailand. Alcohol can cause weight gain. Stop your body burning fat, high in kilojoules, make you feel hungry and lead to poor food choice. 

Agreed, also this, which may explain many problems in Thailand... 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/04/health/alcohol-brain-shrinkage-wellness/index.html#:~:text=(CNN) Just one pint of,number of daily drinks rises.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Does 8 hours a day of finger movements on the phone count as exercise?

Of course, it does; it's finger exercise. And many on this forum would qualify for the Olympics if it became a sport. And let's not forget the Barstool Bobs who get plenty of lip exercise as they share their worldly knowledge with anyone who cares to listen. So, any part of your person that moves is getting some form of exercise, but is it enough? Well, the mirror should give the answer to that ????

• Haha 1

A lot of blame for obese kids should be laid at the door of Thai Danish milk factories.

The green carton has added refined sugar, the blue is standard.

Stepdaughter's first kid was raised on the green: fat.

Second I advised her to switch to blue. She did, and has a slim younger daughter.

Edited by mahtin
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Nong Google, the kid round the corner, is only 8 but 45 kilo, even puts sugar on his noodles washed down with pints of Coke, you can't tell them ????

I am in the UK at the moment I drink sugar free and caffein free coke or pepsi. Are such products available in Thailand? My experience is they taste no different to the standard caffeinated sugary versions and can lower sugar intake considerably for those of us addicted to such drinks. At the moment I am losing about 1lb per week since I have also stopped eating eggs for breakfast which are cheap but very high in fat. I'll soon be back down to my ideal weight (with excercise) following my weight gain due to the enforced Isolation (clinically vulnerable) I was obliged to follow during the lockdown period in the UK. Plus the fact that I rarely drink alcohol (even when in Thailand) helps

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Fitness and dietary awareness do not seem to be part of the psyche here. I know so few who consider exercising, working out, and keeping fit to be important. Especially those over 40.

And even fewer who read ingredient labels, or seem to care about low quality oil, MSG, and other potentially harmful items in their food. 

Many ways to keep fit without working out . One needs to increase the heart rate to do any good for your self . We all know what can do that .

Ingredients of food is just media hype causing paranoia amongst the masses . 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Many ways to keep fit without working out . One needs to increase the heart rate to do any good for your self . We all know what can do that .

Ingredients of food is just media hype causing paranoia amongst the masses . 

Of course there are good foods and bad foods the more processed the worse it is. Trans fats not that great either. If you really think that all food is the same for your health you should really read more. But if you mean something like what they do about carbs that they are evil and all sugar is evil then i totally agree with you. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RobU said:

I am in the UK at the moment I drink sugar free and caffein free coke or pepsi. Are such products available in Thailand? My experience is they taste no different to the standard caffeinated sugary versions and can lower sugar intake considerably for those of us addicted to such drinks. At the moment I am losing about 1lb per week since I have also stopped eating eggs for breakfast which are cheap but very high in fat. I'll soon be back down to my ideal weight (with excercise) following my weight gain due to the enforced Isolation (clinically vulnerable) I was obliged to follow during the lockdown period in the UK. Plus the fact that I rarely drink alcohol (even when in Thailand) helps

Sugar free stuff is available, caffein free I havent seen these things yet.

To be honest eggs are not that bad (depending on how prepared). But if your talking about eggs with bacon then sure not eating that too often is a good thing. But eggs in general are not that bad these fats are healthy.

But losing 1lb a week is nice keep it up. Well done. 

Not drinking alcohol helps a lot wasted calories (same as sugary drinks something i used to drink too much)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mahtin said:

A lot of blame for obese kids should be laid at the door of ....

Thai Danish milk factories.

Second I advised her to switch to blue. She did, and has a slim younger daughter.

The parents ... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mahtin said:

A lot of blame for obese kids should be laid at the door of Thai Danish milk factories.

Labeling here is confusing, looking at the dark blue Danish thai milk, fat is 3.5% by volume, sugar 4.5%, tastes higher than that, certainly not a low option, the lighter blue cartons are less maybe even half

IMG_20220308_044316~2.jpg

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Sugar

Caffeine

Eggs

Bacon 

All good for you ... in moderation.

can you explain to me how sugar is GOOD for someone ? 

I mean its not poison or anything but plain sugar has no minerals / vitamins or any other qualities that make it good. Eggs can good (protein and the fat is good) bacon (protein and bad fats)  if limited too. Cafeine is not a really a food but can be good. Just confused about sugar its GOOD qualities.

• Like 1

Thais use way too much sugar in their food and drink . As much as I love Thai food I will very rarely buy street food because of a;; the sugar they put in it , in addition to other unhealthy things.

I like to make my own Pizza so the other day that I was in Macro I saw an American brand of spaghetti sauce that I was familiar with, and thought it would be great for my pizza when I was too lazy to make my own sauce.

After I made my pizza I was perplexed on why it tasted sweet, did I put too much sugar to activate my yeast? I was sure I had not, but it was the only thing I could think of, until I tasted the spaghetti sauce. It seems that even American brands exported to Thailand are also loaded with sugar.

That's the only explanation I have , unless of course they started loading the spaghetti says with sugar in the US also. 

58 minutes ago, robblok said:

can you explain to me how sugar is GOOD for someone ? 

I mean its not poison or anything but plain sugar has no minerals / vitamins or any other qualities that make it good. Eggs can good (protein and the fat is good) bacon (protein and bad fats)  if limited too. Cafeine is not a really a food but can be good. Just confused about sugar its GOOD qualities.

every cell needs sugar, if you need a drip at hospital it has sugar in it, I'll see if i have a link somewhere.

Edit link added with some info

https://youtu.be/rUWcgh5Ju9g

Edited by scubascuba3

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

We dont need sugar per se it all gets converted. So real sugar is good for nothing has no minerals vitamins or anything else.

Sugar is carbs and your body wants carbs, sad that people are frightened of sugar and carbs. I eat all the time, whenever hungry, no need for starvation or fad diets