Japanese tourist attacked by knife wielding man in downtown Bangkok - Lumpini cops use taser

webfact

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

If that won't draw in the tourists, nothing will! Jungle- and rip-off holidays in Thailand... - First, the Thai government will declare that you're Covid-positive, putting you into overpriced medical care for no reason, ripping you off, before letting you onto the street in a major tourist area, where impoverished, desperature people skin you to get the rest of your cash and valuables...

calm down mate it's not anywhere near that bad

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"The suspect ... admitted attacking him".

Odd that you can't even read the quote that you posted in your own comment in which the attacker admitted the offence.

Odd that similarly, you didn't read my post which quoted the Thai man as saying that the Japanese gentleman started it. ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I wonder what started IT all, why the Jap picks a fight with a thai out if the blue?????????

YaBa started it, if the cops thought to do a drug test...

doesn't help the Thai suicide rate is up 5.9 times from pre-covid, there's a spike in mental illness that's gonna create all kinds of problems for everyone! desperate times in the kingdom????

2 hours ago, hughrection said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"The suspect ... admitted attacking him".

Odd that you can't even read the quote that you posted in your own comment in which the attacker admitted the offence.

Odd that similarly, you didn't read my post which quoted the Thai man as saying that the Japanese gentleman started it.

Odd that you can't see that my comment was solely in response to your incorrect claim that the Thai couldn't admit attacking the victim when, of course, he did confess to it.     Who started it was not part of, and irrelevant to, my comment.

Multiple stabbings in the face and neck.   I hope Thailand steps up and pays for top notch care and reconstruction and lost wages and everything.  Japanese tourist numbers will fall.   

I wish I could unsee that knife picture. Why wasn't the meat blurred out?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I hope Thailand steps up and pays for top notch care and reconstruction and lost wages and everything.  Japanese tourist numbers will fall.   

What makes you think that he'll "lose wages and everything"?   What's "everything" 

This one isolated incident will have no effect at all on Japanese tourist numbers.

8 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I wonder what started IT all, why the Jap picks a fight with a thai out if the blue?????????

Probably the guy was crazy and wanted to hurt someone, maybe a non-Thai.  (Can Thais spot a Japanese person?)  Or he asked for money and the guy refused, which then lit a fuse.

The Thai thug has a history as well, I hope the courts deal with him correctly this

time and put him in jail for a very long time. Attempted murder on a tourist should not be something that the Thai 

court ignores.  Maybe this story will appear in some Japan newspapers as well, that should affect some decisions

on whether to come to Thailand or go somewhere else for a vacation.

7 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I have been to Japan, I know a lot of Japanese in Thailand, and I worked with Japanese in Thailand and other places. The Japanese (esp. the ones you meet abroad) are the most polite, considerate, and peaceful people you can think of. (Maybe because they are real Buddhists.) - Yes, there are 'rogue'Japanese (e.g. Yakuza types) also... But if this Japanese started it, I'd be very surprised. 

True passive

Looks like my kitchen knife

19 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Another of dozens of examples just this year of angry, ???????? crazy, immature, high, drunk or both, Thai males solving everything with extreme violence. And they do not discriminate. This is not only directed at foreigners but also at friends, foes, girlfriends and wives, and even their very own family including parents and siblings. :post-4641-1156693976:

males here definitely out of control 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

The Thai thug has a history as well, I hope the courts deal with him correctly this

time and put him in jail for a very long time. Attempted murder on a tourist should not be something that the Thai 

court ignores.  Maybe this story will appear in some Japan newspapers as well, that should affect some decisions

on whether to come to Thailand or go somewhere else for a vacation.

court's will deal harshly as they do a few Wai's put him in a robe at the local temple job done 

A lot of homeless in that area. I walk between soi 7 and 15 quite often early in the morning and they're all sleeping in the doorways or begging under the BTS steps.

Looks like it might be one of those guys.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:40 AM, RobU said:

Innocent people often get hit by stray bullets . The Tazer was a safer option for the general public

I believe that.  My ex-brother in law, before he retired from the Thai police, took me out to shoot his .38 Smith & Wesson.  He was unable to hit a 6 by 12 inch (15 x 30 cm) board from 15 feet (4.57 m). I first thought the sights on his revolver were off, but all 6 of the shots I fired went into a 1 inch circle.    

• Like 1

Very small chance this guy started a fight. Just a very small Thai man, refusing to take responsibility for his insane actions. Hope he sees alot of time in prison, where he will meet alot of new friends, who will show him the local hospitality.

The bottom line is that there is never any upside to engaging a Thai person, much less a group of them, in a fight. If you kick their ass, you lose. If they kick your ass, you lose. No upside to that formula. Best to just keep your cool, show respect, and avoid fights in public. Remember, this is a land of face. Even something as benign as a street race, can mean they end up losing face. Which for well developed, normal people is not a big deal. But for seriously immature men, or boys, it is.

The bottom line is that these thugs do not represent Thai people on any level. Many of these freaks barely have any parents at all. And alot of parents are absentee these days, even if they are home all the time. Parenting is falling off the face of the earth. It is a lost art. Many parents are too obsessed with making their kids their friends, to do the right thing by their kids, and be tough and show them their limits. Most Thai people are not violent. Quit the opposite, I find most to be quite kind. Sure, there are some. Like anywhere. But I find in most situations if I show sincere kindness, humility, and respect, to someone who has taken offense by something I have done, he just backs down, and accepts the apology. A situation can easily be escalated with the wrong attitude. But why? There is no upside for us. Only downside. Only problems. And they are the kinds of problems we just do not need.

It is very rare. I have a good friend, who was robbed of an nearly new iphone while walking on a sidewalk in Chaiyaphum. I do not think this is common, but there is some desperation out there now, due to the Prayuth precipice, and decimation of the economy, and that was a crime of opportunity. She was knocked down from behind, and spent three days in a hospital, as she hit her head on a concrete sidewalk. A desperado, for sure. She is fine, but when you hit your head on concrete, all bets are off. 

Personally, I have never felt threatened. I have seen a shooting here, and seen a number of fights, while on Samui. It is nearly always Thai on Thai, which is not my concern. I keep my nose clean, tend to show respect to the locals, and know how to avoid confrontations. The few times I have been faced with a very angry local, I have offered a sincere apology, a deep wai, and they backed down. Never had my house robbed, or a car or motorbike stolen. Never been robbed on the street here, in well over a decade.

Edited by spidermike007

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Very small chance this guy started a fight. Just a very small Thai man, refusing to take responsibility for his insane actions. Hope he sees alot of time in prison, where he will meet alot of new friends, who will show him the local hospitality.

The bottom line is that there is never any upside to engaging a Thai person, much less a group of them, in a fight. If you kick their ass, you lose. If they kick your ass, you lose. No upside to that formula. Best to just keep your cool, show respect, and avoid fights in public. Remember, this is a land of face. Even something as benign as a street race, can mean they end up losing face. Which for well developed, normal people is not a big deal. But for seriously immature men, or boys, it is.

The bottom line is that these thugs do not represent Thai people on any level. Many barely have any parents at all. Most parents are absentee these days, even if they are home all the time. Parenting is falling off the face of the earth. It is a lost art. Many parents are too obsessed with making their kids their friends, to do the right thing by their kids, and be tough and show them their limits. Most Thai people are not violent. Sure, there are some. Like anywhere. But I find in most situations if I show sincere kindness, humility, and respect, to someone who has taken offense by something I have done, he just backs down, and accepts the apology. A situation can easily be escalated with the wrong attitude. But why? There is no upside for us. Only downside. Only problems. And they are the kinds of problems we just do not need.

It is very rare. I have a good friend, who was robbed of an nearly new iphone while walking on a sidewalk in Chaiyaphum. I do not think this is common, but there is some desperation out there now, due to the Prayuth precipice, and decimation of the economy, and that was a crime of opportunity. She was knocked down from behind, and spent three days in a hospital, as she hit her head on a concrete sidewalk. A desperado, for sure. She is fine, but when you hit your head on concrete, all bets are off. 

Personally, I have never felt threatened. I have seen a shooting here, and seen a number of fights, while on Samui. It is nearly always Thai on Thai, which is not my concern. I keep my nose clean, tend to show respect to the locals, and know how to avoid confrontations. The few times I have been faced with a very angry local, I have offered a sincere apology, a deep wai, and they backed down. Never had my house robbed, or a car or motorbike stolen. Never been robbed on the street here, in well over a decade.

Lucky you, I have been broken in to my factory twice had one of my holiday unit burned down and got threatened with a shogun by my FIL.

I was attacked in Pattaya two days ago, by a fat young girl. She asked me to come closer to talk to her, then she hit me in the balls really hard. It was unprovoked and I don't know her. I was not drunk, she was. Is there any use going to police? It was outside a family mart.

Two days later my balls still soar.

Damn Pattaya is getting more dangerous every day. Yesterday my motorcycle helmet got stolen too from my bike on walking street.

On 3/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, Guderian said:

Why does it make this sound like the cops were really, really reluctant to use non-lethal force on a violent madman? Did they think that trying to ask him nicely to stop stabbing the Jap guy was a better idea? Or were they going to threaten him with a crime scene re-enactment, at which everyone would point accusingly at the knife-wielding Thai? That'll put the fear of God into any armed crazy <shakeshead>

Because unlike in the US, most cops don't like to use any kind of weapon, lethal of not and would rather talk suspects down.

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2022 at 4:11 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

I have been to Japan, I know a lot of Japanese in Thailand, and I worked with Japanese in Thailand and other places. The Japanese (esp. the ones you meet abroad) are the most polite, considerate, and peaceful people you can think of. (Maybe because they are real Buddhists.) - Yes, there are 'rogue'Japanese (e.g. Yakuza types) also... But if this Japanese started it, I'd be very surprised. 

Seems like a world away from the fascist, militaristic state that committed so many atrocities on innocent people only 80 years ago.