Thai Air Force F16 jet crashes while on training flight, pilot safely ejects

snoop1130

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Wait until all those Thai Airways jets start flying again... after years of neglect and little maintenance. 

Mothballed aircraft are neither neglected or unmaintained and will have to undergo regular and routine overhauls and checks before they can fly again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/01/there-could-be-snakes-planes-mothballed-by-covid-prepare-to-fly-again

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I see those jets flying over our house like daredevils a few times a week.

They fly them the way many Thais drive.

The life expectancy of jets, or pretty much anything here is shortened by the bad treatment they get.

That was an expensive crash!

The Saab Jas39 just passed here for an hour ago in a low pass! Impressive machine. 

I believe only 36 out of 51 F-16 was operative, now 35. Can't find the source now, but checked it up last time they passed here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Most likely due to brake failure and wet roads. No pilot faults.

You're actually wrong Mr Dog, it was actually pointed out that a maskless farang was under the flight line merrily riding along on his mo-sigh and it was in fact he who was the sole cause of the crash.

Touching on the F35 would-be purchases...i think a ????suffice's.

Edited by Ty Hareways

Just now, Ty Hareways said:

You're actually wrong Mr Dog, it was actually pointed out that a maskless farang was under the flight line merrily riding along on his mo-sigh and it was in fact he who was the sole cause of the crash.

Touching on the F35 would-be purchases...i think a ????suffice's.

OK, at least that's more believable than wet roads.

But still, it's not pilot error.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

The Saab Jas39 just passed here for an hour ago in a low pass! Impressive machine. 

I believe only 36 out of 51 F-16 was operative, now 35. Can't find the source now, but checked it up last time they passed here.

I regularly visit the air bases here in the UK, Lakenheath, Lossiemouth, Coningsby,Valley,etc so was wondering where the thai bases are and what are the viewing area's like...i would obviously wear a crash helmet and body armour whilst watching after reading about the F16 incident!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Wait until all those Thai Airways jets start flying again... after years of neglect and little maintenance. 

Thought the same......weren't they red flagged by the CAA for poor maintenance before covid.......gave them a miss and flew Qatar at Christmas.

3 minutes ago, Ty Hareways said:

I regularly visit the air bases here in the UK, Lakenheath, Lossiemouth, Coningsby,Valley,etc so was wondering where the thai bases are and what are the viewing area's like...i would obviously wear a crash helmet and body armour whilst watching after reading about the F16 incident!

This was an F-16 from the air force base in Korat. Never been there, but we are for sure in their line of flight here I live. Also see  their C-130 once and awhile to and Helicopters. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ty Hareways said:

Lopuri & Korat have bases with the F16 which are near to the crash!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Thought the same......weren't they red flagged by the CAA for poor maintenance before covid.......gave them a miss and flew Qatar at Christmas.

They were. 

Downgraded by the FAA, concerns over maintenance and safety.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Mothballed aircraft are neither neglected or unmaintained and will have to undergo regular and routine overhauls and checks before they can fly again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/01/there-could-be-snakes-planes-mothballed-by-covid-prepare-to-fly-again

Thailand or Thai Airways not mentioned anywhere in that article. ????

17 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They were. 

Downgraded by the FAA, concerns over maintenance and safety.

Cheers.

I remember reading an article about air safety and the authorities (FAA) watch the finances of companies very carefully. 

The first casualty of financial problems tends to be a reduction in maintenance costs......scary.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Nice bit of information.

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Cheers.

I remember reading an article about air safety and the authorities (FAA) watch the finances of companies very carefully. 

The first casualty of financial problems tends to be a reduction maintenance costs......scary.

With Thai Airways in $12 billion of debt I would expect they have cut their cloth accordingly.

Scary indeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ty Hareways said:

The Saab Gripens are based at Surat Thani in the South.

It's about 200 km south of where I live and a few times I have seen them overhead here.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 5:57 PM, KannikaP said:

So now they are buying F-35s instead.   LOL

Committee Concludes Thailand Should Buy F-35 Jets From U.S.

It really doesn't matter what the committee decides they want to buy. It depends on whether the US government will allow Lockheed to sell the F35 to Thailand.

Thailand also believes it can get them cheaper than the US military.

https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing/lockheed-martin-confident-f-35-operating-cost-will-be-reduced-to-25000-per-hour/142577.article

Lockheed Martin confident F-35 operating cost will be reduced to $25,000 per hour.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a36983255/how-much-does-f-35-cost/

In a vacuum, the F-35A, the Air Force’s version of the jet, costs $78 million. That’s actually not a bad price for the jet; when adjusted for inflation, it’s relatively close to the original quoted cost of $50 million.

But that’s not the problem here. Rather, the Pentagon’s headaches start after the Air Force receives the F-35. At the time the GAO wrote the report, all three versions of the F-35 cost $38,000 per hour to fly. That’s significantly higher than what the Pentagon originally thought it would pay.

The GAO estimates that by 2036, the Pentagon could be forking over an extra $6 billion per year than it thought it would pay to fly the 2,443 planes it plans to purchase. That’s enough to buy 76 brand-new F-35As every year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

The asian countries would be better off joining forces to "share" a common military force that oversees national and regional security. 

An interesting thought. But.....

Who would be in charge of it?

More importantly how could a military coup be pulled in a member country? Would they pull out and use their own military or use the combined military forces.

Can you imagine Thailand or Myanmar running things.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

The asian countries would be better off joining forces to "share" a common military force that oversees national and regional security. 

Maybe that will happen in the future in a far, far away galaxy. 

Asia is probably the worst continent for having the widest variety of countries with all kinds of governments....some governments with a form of strongman democracy and others with an autocratic/communist/dictator government.   

And I don't know any group of Asia countries that truly want to have their militaries closely associated with other Asia militaries because such close association could breed more democracy and give strongmen less control over their countries.   Kinda like Thailand which always wants to stay neutral.....see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil about any other country's government, human rights abuses, wars, etc. 

Heck, even in democratic countries say like those in the EU, although those European continent countries have some military ties with each other like many being part of NATO, even NATO is not a "common military force" as each country still determines what military forces/weapons systems it builds, maintains, pays for, etc.  

20 hours ago, ozimoron said:

why bash the RTAF?

20 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Why bash the USAF ?

Gentlemen, gentlemen. We are talking about military aviation.

The whole point of those magnificent men in their flying machines is to entertain and amuse (the Infantyman).

• Haha 1

Oh No, not again. They have lost a few planes and helicopters over the years now.  The classic was when they had a air show and flew a war plane into a mountain with hundreds of adult and children spectators watching. 

Happy to hear that the pilot ejected.