Work permit to open a Bank account ?

I will be picking up my work permit next week, as far as I am aware for a Foreigner to open a bank account to open a bank account you need a WP.

I am wondering if there is any particular bank here in Bangkok that is best for foreigners or are they all typically the same.

Without researching I suppose I would just walk into the nearest Bank branch to where i live, which is the yellow one, I believe it is called Krungsri. thoughts? let me know who your with and

do i just need to take my WP and Passport to the branch to open an account?

Is it all done in the same day ?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, sleepwalker999 said:

I just gave them my passport and work permit.

Ok that's the way for working people :biggrin:

With the work permit easier, no doubt.

Edited by KhunBENQ

"...nearest Bank branch to where i live, which is the yellow one, I believe it is called Krungsri..."

recommendable, 76% direct Japanese ownership (= influence on management style...!)

What @KhunBENQ mentioned regarding transfers is important. 

Recently I had to move 3million baht here using WISE. 

Fortunately having Kasikorn account no issue. 2 transfers.

My other bank account (different bank) had limit. Not practical at all.

Only of interest for others with similar question is for anyone dealing with CW immigration, SCB does not have a branch there. 

OP, with the work permit you won't have any problem. Take along your lease if you have one. 

Cant imagine them wanting a residence certificate. 

Its not simple without WP..

6 hours ago, RedArmy said:

I entered Visa Exempt - Got a Residence Certificate from Phuket Immigration (500 Baht) - Opened up an account with Bangkok Bank.

I did the same here in Phuket (at the Phuket town Bangkok Bank branch) - back in 2016 on Visa Exempt with a 'resident one page letter' from Phuket Immigration (which is 'nominally valid for 1 month'). 

I did try 3 other different bank branches first (in Phuket town) and they all would not give me a bank account.  Fortunately Bangkok Bank branch in Phuket town did allow me to open up an account at their branch.

I suspect many bank branches have different policies.

• Like 1

@Jackcwba

With a work permit, you can open at any banks that is convenient for you.

The most foreigner friendly bank is Bangkok Bank and most of their staff can speak basic English.

SCB usually has tons of customers so the queue is longer than Bangkok Bank.

Banks here prefer work permit holders to retirees and tourists.

Edited by EricTh

8 hours ago, thurien said:

"...nearest Bank branch to where i live, which is the yellow one, I believe it is called Krungsri..."

I don't like Krungsri banks website. I don't see it saves info of people who I have have sent money to as I have to enter their info each time I send money to them. Bangkok bank no problem. May be Kasi Korn app is better but my Kasi Korn bank account is suspended long time ago and they now ask me for a WP when I last time checked with them for opening an account. 

Edited by Onerak

BKK Bank Required Documents:

For Thai nationals

ID card or any government-issued photo ID card with 13-digit ID number

For foreigners

1. Foreigner with a work permit

Passport
Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

Passport
A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
Embassy located  in Thailand 
An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

3. Foreigner with permanent residence in Thailand

Passport, Certificate of Residence, or Alien Certificate 
House Registration document