TAT to ease travel regulations in line with new Covid policies

webfact

30 minutes ago, rabang said:

I don't think it is mandatory outdoors anywhere in Europe anymore. The rules vary but I am sure one could find 5 countries to visit without having to think about masks (except planes) or testing. Thailand on the other hand seems like it is still 2020/21.

I had to undergo a RTK test before my dental appointment yesterday.  The dentist came to talk to me as at first I resisted it...(I thought it was just a money making exercise, or using up stock they had inadvisably purchased). My point was that it was 2 years into the pandemic, and this was the first time required....including 5-6 appointments  in that time, one just 3 weeks prior. 

She said in Bangkok testing was being implemented more than Pattaya, but her persuasive point, was to protect her staff and business. She would have to close if a single positive was detected in her clinic (each member of staff tested twice weekly). Anyhow, my point, Thailand is a month or so behind European Countries in the omicron infection wave.... so let it go through the same processes. 

(PS I was negative and it cost me 75 baht).

Edited by jacko45k

14 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Philippines no longer requires a PCR test prior to travel. They now require an antigen test only. No tests on arrival.

But they still require a negative test before you arrive. To leave the Philippines and fly to Thailand, I will need to take a PCR test locally there. I wonder what will happen if I test positive?

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I had to undergo a RTK test before my dental appointment yesterday.  The dentist came to talk to me as at first I resisted it...(I thought it was just a money making exercise, or using up stock they had inadvisably purchased). My point was that it was 2 years into the pandemic, and this was the first time required....including 5-6 appointments  in that time, one just 3 weeks prior. 

She said in Bangkok testing was being implemented more than Pattaya, but her persuasive point, was to protect her staff and business. She would have to close if a single positive was detected in her clinic (each member of staff tested twice weekly). Anyhow, my point, Thailand is a month or so behind European Countries in the omicron infection wave.... so let it go through the same processes. 

They might be a month or two behind in the infection wave but a year or two behind with their policies. But I said it all a long time ago that this is a marathon where the initial 'leaders' with low case numbers can be caught later.

• Like 1

Just now, rabang said:

They might be a month or two behind in the infection wave but a year or two behind with their policies. But I said it all a long time ago that this is a marathon where the initial 'leaders' with low case numbers can be caught later.

Do you have an example?..... I can only be grateful Thailand is not at, or got to, the stages the UK, USA, Italy, Mexico etc got to...... maybe their actions were beneficial. The only low case numbers, early on, are places like Australia, NZ, Japan etc. Now it is a case of Omicron catching up with them.... a better result than had Delta done it!

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I have had to test for over the past year anytime I see my dentist or doctor here in Bangkok. It started last year at the hospital I use after one of the doctors was infected by a patient.  I think it's a good thing, no negative issues.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, internationalism said:

flying anywhere in europe only vax (to austria with a booster).

to thailand - insurance from $20 (to many $k), Thailand pass, hotel+transport from $30, 2pcr (from $40 abroad and $65 in Thailand). Sometimes visa (say from $100) with supporting documents.

Plus logistics of it, when, how. The first time organising it might be a struggle for some.

Would thailand Pass take 3h, 7 days, would be refused for some reason?

If they decide to keep PCR in thailand then most probably they will also keep hotel quarantine and danger of hospitalisation/hospitelasation (the most dreaded by travellers, because forced and expensive in $k, rarely covered by insurance)

And how does that compare to a Thai wishing to go to the UK.

My wife has an unused visa in her passport from 2020. Bojo said companies should compensate those who could not travel due to the pandemic, but excused the government from that responsibility. Have to go through the process again and pay another £100 visa fee. There is also the expense of travelling to Bangkok and charges for return of passport.

Took nearly 2 weeks for biometrics appointment, but could have been a bit earlier if VFS was paid 3700 baht. Was told yesterday visa would be 6 to 8 weeks, but if VFS was paid 43,000 baht, could get a decision in 24 hours.

Of course it wouldn't matter how corrupt the UK immigration system is, could never surpass the perception people have of the Thai system. Being able to enter the country without a visa is just taken for granted.

14 hours ago, geisha said:

Some are even reduced to begging , old men or women holding a timid hand out when you pass by,

Yes Thailand has jumped back to the first time I traveled there 42 years ago , the above is what it was like then and over the many years  I spent traveling to Thailand ,it improved very much , until I hear what you say hear, really makes me feel sad.   Regards Popa

14 hours ago, geisha said:

i was honestly quite shocked when I arrived back in Thailand to see how the place had degraded, I stayed in Phuket and most of the beach villages looked like abandoned shanty towns . Horrific.

Yes a good post. i am very surprised that more people that have travel to Thailand have not mention the sad issues the Thai people are going through , because of the harsh visa  entry requirements. Regards Popa

• Like 1

In the latest Singapore round of relaxation they say that the near term goal is to remove all testing and rely upon vaccination status.

In many countries masks are gone and now the question revolves around the definition and isolation (if any) of close contacts.

The West is simply moving on. The next big thing will be the removal of pre flight testing for entry into USA.

Bali has re-opened but their conditions are such that tourist numbers will be very low.

At the very least it's time to remove the outdoor mask mandate throughout Asia

On 3/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, smedly said:

seems like some people of influence is making huge amounts of money from covid and want it to continue, that is the only conclusion I can come too - it has to be about money

The obvious contenders -- as usual

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, smedly said:

seems like some people of influence is making huge amounts of money from covid and want it to continue, that is the only conclusion I can come too - it has to be about money

Yea I figured that out last year with the worthless insurance and the over priced scam hotels. Only their richest friends are getting richer. While most of the population gets vaccinated months late with the Sinovac <deleted>. So what happened with all the free vaccines given to the Thai government for free for the younger population? Let me guess. Once if ever most rid themselves of the Covid time to rid the corrupt government.

• Like 1

There's a graphic in an article in the Bangkok Post (which I can't post here) that lays out a four step sequence for "living with COVID".  (No idea if this is approved or just a proposal.)

Some of the highlights:

1.  Phase 1 is now-early April; Phase 2 is April-May; Phase 3 is end of May-June; Phase 4 is 1 July and forward.

2.  Phases 2 and 3 do not show PCR tests as being required.

3.  Phase 4 (after 30 June) says there will be no more ATK or PCR tests.

4. Phase 3/4 also shows the re-opening of pubs and bars.

If you want to search for this on your own, the title of the article is "COVID-19 to be endemic from July".

There is a link to the same article in post #16 of this thread on Flyertalk.com:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/2069678-thailand-phuket-easter-break-hospital-quarantine.html

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 7:19 PM, ThailandRyan said:

To put this into context, Testing prior to arrival and upon arrival is still being required, as well as testing 24 hours prior to returning to the US.  So lets just say a family of 4 from California who wants to visit here will have to spend approximately $1000 to $1200 dollars for the first test in the US, then add in another $360 upon arrival and then around the same for the return.  Off the top and before they even book flights, or hotels etc...they are already out of pocket just under $2k USD.  If this Government would stop the nonsense that would actually be $2k or 60K THB more the local economy would pick up.....

My sisters family is heading to Mexico for the 2 week spring break they have, flights were cheap and no testing required for them either. Only requirement was to be vaccinated before flying.   Total cost, and already paid up front through their travel agent, $5k USD and that's an all inclusive resort where they never have to leave and can enjoy the beaches as well as horseback riding etc....

They had wanted to come here to visit us since I had just visited them, but the extra cost was more than enough to put them off, and of course it is for my sisters 50th birthday as well.

Even if the number are true that about 50,000 tourist are coming at the moment, that is amazing. 50,000 fools, making this much of an effort to come to Thailand when so many other options are available with much much less headaches, costs and hassles???. Unbelievable.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 9:11 PM, possum1931 said:

"why not put it on our air ticket if they are so concerned".  They are already going to put an extra 300Bt on the price of your air ticket for some sort of insurance cover, or so they say, but I think we all know what a liar the soldier "there will be no coup" posing as a PM really is.

They're idiots for holding it out as some kind of insurance.  What it really is is a tax (a reasonable one in my mind).  One of the objectives is to cover the hospital expenses of foreigners unable or unwilling to pay their unexpected hospital bills.  There's been many threads about how much that is on an annual basis, and it's not insignificant.   But they're going to go after payment from the foreigners, and anyone expecting that payment to be forgiven because they paid a $9 tax is in for a rude awakening.  IT IS NOT INSURANCE.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, daveAustin said:

How would it play out if you tested pos; would you have to self isolate or d’you think they’d notify the authorities and have you ‘sectioned’? Serious question as also looking to have dental work done soon. 

She said I would have to reschedule my appointment and recommend I go home and isolate myself. (I did ask). So no mention of being carted off kicking and screaming. 

Just in time to let in the new, virulent omicron sub-variant from HK.........So not only did we get covid from China, HK now seems to be the new breeding ground for its variants.

Better hope those multi-millionaire Indians and Saudis get their act together.....god forbid Thailand has to rely on those ßloody Europeans. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 4:18 PM, swm59nj said:

Again how can they predict how Covid will be in July.  
But if it’s high or not.  Come to Thailand and have fun.  So what if you get Covid.  At least you got to drink cheap booze and have cheap fun. It’s all that is what matters in life?  
Getting a little off topic.  I was riding from Ekamai back to Asoke this past Tuesday.  I noticed on Sukhumvit that just about every westerner was not wearing a mask.  It’s amazing that people think you can come to another country.  But you don’t have to adhere to the rules.  

Anyone going to Thailand for cheap booze will be in for a rude awakening, perhaps Scandinavians being the exeption...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baboon said:

Anyone going to Thailand for cheap booze will be in for a rude awakening, perhaps Scandinavians being the exeption...

True......BKK getting on for London prices in areas that are interesting to drink in.

On 3/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, soi3eddie said:

Already happened. London-Bangkok-London. Economy class. 24/3 to 16/4. £940 Roundtrip. At least 40% more than pre-pandemic.

I presume you are talking about TG. In my own personal experience, I have found their prices outrageous for donkey's years.

I flew KLM last December and did not pay any more than usual. Shop around unless you HAVE to fly direct, in which case I am afraid you are a captive audience. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, baboon said:

I presume you are talking about TG. In my own personal experience, I have found their prices outrageous for donkey's years.

I flew KLM last December and did not pay any more than usual. Shop around unless you HAVE to fly direct, in which case I am afraid you are a captive audience. 

Qatar £680 at the mo.

• Thanks 1