Thai wife must accompany me?

In the scheme of things (world crises, etc) my enquiry may seem trivial, like I'm clogging up the forum unnecessarily, etc.

Apologies, but just want to see if anyone can tell me if my Thai wife MUST go with me to immigration (Korat) when I go to pick up my passport after the 'under consideration' period, when hopefully the yearly marriage extension stamp will be done?

Long story short, she's busy that day and can't make the trip to immigration (150+ kms away) with me.

Obviously, we will try and contact Korat imm. by phone to find out, but tbh, have not had good luck trying to get info from them by phone in the past....plus, I'm worried that whoever answers (IF they answer) and says she does NOT need to attend, may not be giving us accurate info. Long way to go if he/she is wrong. I don't mean to suggest anything negative about that office at all. It's very efficient. No complaints. But sometimes a little issue like this can end up being a pain if one Imm officer says 'this' and then another says 'that'. 

It's been known to happen! ????

Just want to see what you folks out there might have to say about it. 

Cheers ???? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

she's not required.

Just you and your passport.

Sounds good. 

(Of course, it assumes the 'consideration' my application was 'under' will have been favourable to me and that they will just give my passport the old stamperoo and send me on my merry way. ????If it wasn't, and they don't.....the wife's absence will then be unfortunate! ????)

Thanks BritManToo. ????

Not sure why you asked the question but if someone's told you that you have to take your wife, it could be true.  Without re-iterating a long story, Korat Immigration have been known to make their own rules up.  Its been a few years but if the boss is still a female - she's the worst at inventing rules.

Personally, I've never had a problem with them but a friend did, they made up their own rules and it took a lawyer to sort them out.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Not sure why you asked the question but if someone's told you that you have to take your wife, it could be true.  Without re-iterating a long story, Korat Immigration have been known to make their own rules up.  Its been a few years but if the boss is still a female - she's the worst at inventing rules.

Personally, I've never had a problem with them but a friend did, they made up their own rules and it took a lawyer to sort them out.

No, no one told me that the Thai spouse should be there too, but.........to be honest, I have learned from experience that, like you said, the Imm officers can at times throw the unexpected curve-ball at you if they're not in a great mood! ????????

PS I think the current head honcho up there is a fella. 

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Well on that note I feel most of the Immigration offices have their own interpretation of the rules and if they can they will twist it to suit their narrative!! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Probably done by me. My wife has done it without me being with her many times. My daughter did it one time.

Was aware of that but didn't want to mention you.

I get the impression that Ubon immigration has a positive record and favourable reports.

Not sure how wife collecting pp would go at CW.

Being much larger I can't imagine it would be possible. 

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Probably done by me. My wife has done it without me being with her many times. My daughter did it one time.

So you would say, ubonjoe, that my wife 'should' definitely NOT need to be with me?

7 minutes ago, Toolong said:

So you would say, ubonjoe, that my wife 'should' definitely NOT need to be with me?

I don't think she will not need to be with you. There is no reason for her to be with you.

If they did not want to do it you could go back the next day with your wife.

51 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think she will not need to be with you. There is no reason for her to be with you.

If they did not want to do it you could go back the next day with your wife.

Ok, ubonjoe, thank you. I will go alone and keep my fingers crossed! ???? ????????????

I sit on a PR (living in Nong Khai) and wanted to travel to Cambodia. In Korat I realized that I need a re-entry permit = Korat immigration. There they told me that Nong Khai is in charge and they would not do this. I spoke to Nong Khai - approx. 400kms oneway away; they confirmed that every immigration office can issue a re-entry permit. Korat refused again, I asked for the written instruction and took photos of the officer = re-entry was stamped in within minutes. Just another idiot in uniform who was putting himself in the "I am over important" mode. 

Go alone, in case of queries get them to call your wife over the phone and she has no time for them - busy with cattle, farm, kids, parents or temple duty. 

There is no question she will not be able to answer - the questions have to be in the framework of what an outsider can ask. Worst case - ask to see the written regulation on that, take a photo of the pr1ck or ask for the supervisor while apologizing that your wife is really unable to waste a full day due to temple duty! 

• Haha 1

The stamp at the end of the under consideration period is just a basic administrative step, unless your extension has been denied (in which unlikely event you would already have been informed of this by phone). Immigration just needs your physical passport to affix the extension stamp, and anyone should be able to take in the passport to be stamped. To start trying to requalify you for the extension at this stage would be ridiculous (which in Thailand means possible but unlikely).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

I sit on a PR (living in Nong Khai) and wanted to travel to Cambodia. In Korat I realized that I need a re-entry permit = Korat immigration. There they told me that Nong Khai is in charge and they would not do this. I spoke to Nong Khai - approx. 400kms oneway away; they confirmed that every immigration office can issue a re-entry permit. Korat refused again, I asked for the written instruction and took photos of the officer = re-entry was stamped in within minutes. Just another idiot in uniform who was putting himself in the "I am over important" mode. 

Go alone, in case of queries get them to call your wife over the phone and she has no time for them - busy with cattle, farm, kids, parents or temple duty. 

There is no question she will not be able to answer - the questions have to be in the framework of what an outsider can ask. Worst case - ask to see the written regulation on that, take a photo of the pr1ck or ask for the supervisor while apologizing that your wife is really unable to waste a full day due to temple duty! 

I too have PR and I've generally had good experiences at several Imm. offices.

Worst case was when my Thai son took my PR book,  and my passport and the blue book for the family to the gov't office in Bkk where you can change the owners name in the blue book.

The plan was to change the owners name from my name to my 19 yo Thai son's name.

Son met the dragon from hell who insisted loudly and angrily that my Thai Certificate of Residence (PR) book was a fake document because Thailand doesn't have PR. She made a motion to start to tear up my PR book, my son quickly snatched it from her hands, scooped up all the books/documents and fled.

Son went back the next day, he couldn't see the dragon from hell and he appraoched the desk. He was greeted by a quite young Thai man who quickly apologized for the behavior of his boss the previous day and and mentioned there is no reason why you can't change the owners name, your fathers' PR is valid but not needed and he gave it back to my son and said 'put it out of sight'.

Young officer checked the necessary application form was complete and took a copy of my passport and gaveit back to my son. He then indicated he would process the change of ownership in the blue book as quickly as he could. 

He was back in about 10 minutes all done, he asked my son to check spelling etc., then said 'please leave quickly, my boss has a good memory, if he sees you she will try to stop the the transfer'. Son fled.

Son came home and told us what had happened.

Ultmate point; my son was very happy indeed, he proudly showed the blue book with his name as a car owner.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The stamp at the end of the under consideration period is just a basic administrative step, unless your extension has been denied (in which unlikely event you would already have been informed of this by phone). Immigration just needs your physical passport to affix the extension stamp, and anyone should be able to take in the passport to be stamped. To start trying to requalify you for the extension at this stage would be ridiculous (which in Thailand means possible but unlikely).

Thanks, BritTim. What you're saying here is pretty much what I guessed/hoped would be the case.......although I wasn't aware that they phone you if the extension is denied. If that's the case, then no phone call, no problem. And no wife needed to attend.

(Sod's Law I get a call tomorrow! ???? ????)

Cheers. ????

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Thanks for the advice, Sydebolle, and the story with it about your experience. They really can seem to make life unnecessarily difficult for foreign visa/extension/reentry applicants, can't they?  

I have sometimes in the past become so exasperated that I lost my cool a bit! In more recent times I have managed to keep that smile going, complete with the odd high wai ready when required! Just wanna get out of there.....whatever it takes! ????

7 hours ago, Toolong said:

No, no one told me that the Thai spouse should be there too

Then I don't think you'll have a problem.  There have been some reports of problems with some matters at Korat Immigration (as it seems, there are at most offices) and as I stated before, a friend had a major problem with them. However, I've never heard of anyone else having to take their wife with them to collect a passport.  Given that its the end of this year's process for you, I think its extremely doubtful such a request will be made - what would be the point?

On the subject of the head honcho there - it would not surprise me at all if the previous boss had been 'moved on'. I believe they do rotate them from time to time and although there were few reports of problems with her, those I'm aware of were quite serious. Personally I found her fine but as you will be aware - if your 'face doesn't fit' or you rub someone up the wrong way, no matter how unintentionally, in Thailand - you have a problem.

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Then I don't think you'll have a problem.  There have been some reports of problems with some matters at Korat Immigration (as it seems, there are at most offices) and as I stated before, a friend had a major problem with them. However, I've never heard of anyone else having to take their wife with them to collect a passport.  Given that its the end of this year's process for you, I think its extremely doubtful such a request will be made - what would be the point?

On the subject of the head honcho there - it would not surprise me at all if the previous boss had been 'moved on'. I believe they do rotate them from time to time and although there were few reports of problems with her, those I'm aware of were quite serious. Personally I found her fine but as you will be aware - if your 'face doesn't fit' or you rub someone up the wrong way, no matter how unintentionally, in Thailand - you have a problem.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply so thoroughly, KhaoYai. I appreciate it. What you say is worth remembering & keeping in mind: don't rub the guys & gals up at Immo the wrong way!

Re my wife needing to be there: like you said....'what would be the point?'

Indeed. (Famous last words!????)

Cheers ????????

30 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply so thoroughly,

You're welcome but just remember - nothing is 'tablets of stone' in Thailand.  It takes some getting used to that individual offices can make up their own rules.  I'm pretty sure that officially, they can't - whether it be driving licence requirements or immigration law, it must all be covered by statute and therefore down in writing? Well you'd think so but who knows?

Even Immigration Head Office in Bangkok won't over-rule a local office.  When my friend had a problem he called Bangkok and they told him he was correct and that the things Korat were asking for were wrong. However, when he asked them to call Korat and tell them, they refused. As I said earlier, it took a lawyer to sort it out.  You might also be interested to know that a few years ago, Korat Immigration were taken to court and they lost - can't remember the full story but I know the lawyer that did it.

To be fair, I don't think they are any different to any other office - some people report problems but most think they are OK.  That 'OK' though, means within the realms of what can be a crazy and paranoid system.  Photos of you sitting on the bed with your wife, or by the gatepost showing the house number etc. etc. what does that prove?  Only that you were there together on that day.  It is what it is though.

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You're welcome but just remember - nothing is 'tablets of stone' in Thailand.  It takes some getting used to that individual offices can make up their own rules.  I'm pretty sure that officially, they can't - whether it be driving licence requirements or immigration law, it must all be covered by statute and therefore down in writing? Well you'd think so but who knows?

Even Immigration Head Office in Bangkok won't over-rule a local office.  When my friend had a problem he called Bangkok and they told him he was correct and that the things Korat were asking for were wrong. However, when he asked them to call Korat and tell them, they refused. As I said earlier, it took a lawyer to sort it out.  You might also be interested to know that a few years ago, Korat Immigration were taken to court and they lost - can't remember the full story but I know the lawyer that did it.

To be fair, I don't think they are any different to any other office - some people report problems but most think they are OK.  That 'OK' though, means within the realms of what can be a crazy and paranoid system.  Photos of you sitting on the bed with your wife, or by the gatepost showing the house number etc. etc. what does that prove?  Only that you were there together on that day.  It is what it is though.

Interesting. I can only wonder if, perhaps, cases like those you describe may (he says optimistically!) actually contribute to things being more 'sorted out' up at that office & elsewhere. As you say, they do rotate staff and it's possible policies & attitudes change for the better (while conceding that they could in theory get worse!).

Possible? Who knows, eh? ????????

'Oh, the rich pageant of it all!' Thanks, KhaoYai. ????

On 3/12/2022 at 7:37 AM, KhaoYai said:

Rules can be interperted in differant ways by any imo depends on who you get, what mood they are in on the day

26 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

The last time I was in there, they only let one person in to pick up the PP anyway, due to Covid,

I know what you mean, but actually no one actually 'picks up' their PP ????. Assuming your extension has been approved (after imm officers in an office in KhonKaen have spent over a month examining your documents day & night, doing double shifts, 24/7!) you're just handing over your PP to get the extension stamp.

But like I said, I know what you mean ????. Others, including myself, have described it in the same way!

By the way, if you're familiar with Korat Imm office, have you noticed it seems to be less 'unbelievably crowded & chaotic' in the area outside? I applied in mid- March this year, and compared to March the previous year, it seemed relatively quiet. 

Is this cos of a new online appointment booking system, or something? ????

Went to get my passport stamped after consideration last Friday. I went alone, you don’t even go into the office, the helpers outside take your passport in and when stamped they bring it back outside for you. You just sit in the tent and wait.

1 hour ago, 9a9a said:

Sorry forgot to say that was at Korat immigration 

Ahhh, well that's exactly the reassurance I needed, 9a9a, as you too use the Korat office.

Splendid! Much obliged to you. 

Thanks. ????????????

Just a guess on my part but I would think if you have the card to pick up your passport, I doubt anyone will ask you when it is presented to show your wife.  When I have picked up my passport at Chonburi immigration, I hand the small numbered tag to the person at counter 8, she retrieves the passport and hands it to me.  They don't even verify if they gave you the correct passport or look at the picture to see if it is you.