urologist recommendation chaing mai

SammyJ

Hello---I have done my Google research and searching these pages and some of FB groups, and have come up with several names for a good urologist in Chiang Mai.  I have come commonly across the names of Dr. Wittiwat, Dr Supon and Dr. Phitsanu Mahawong, and others, and have read a variety of reports on them and think they would all be very good doctors to see.  

I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on treatment with any of them you might share, here in the forum or message me privately if you prefer--also, if there are any other doctors that i should consider, please also share that.

Thank you for anything you might be able to share!

Hi,  Dr. Wittiwat treated me at Bangkok Hospital CM.  He was excellent.  I saw him a number of times including diagnosis, treatment, follow up.  I found him to be thorough, patient in listening and answering questions, and excellent in follow up during post surgical care.

feel free to PM if you have questions!

I've never had the need to see a Urologist, thank god. But in general, I think the best medical services and doctors is at RAM Hospital. I see BKK Hospital as more concerned with money, rather than patients.

My wife recently needed a full medical check up, for immigration purposes, at Ram Hospital.  The hospital and medical staff are modern, efficient and thoroughly professional.  I would have confidence in all departments of Ram Hospital.

When I came here 8 1/2 years ago I used a urologist at CM RAM and he was great. Cant remember his name but unfortunately gone now. I since visited one there and I did not like him to the point of where I kept his name on my fridge so if I need to see a urologist at RAM and he is the only one I will go elsewhere. For obvious reasons I will not say name here.

not on CM nut ive seen 3 different ones all useless they worked like a assembly line in and out time is money attitude given different diagnosis by them the last one  never did examination 4000 baht prescription for tablets for a condition i don't have none of the symptoms he spoke about binned them 

Edited by Harveyboy

On 3/12/2022 at 8:41 AM, ehs818 said:

I've never had the need to see a Urologist, thank god. But in general, I think the best medical services and doctors is at RAM Hospital. I see BKK Hospital as more concerned with money, rather than patients.

Funny, I see exactly the opposite. I have been a patient at RAM for about 8 years, and now at BKK H for the last 3. Extensive experience if I say so myself. What annoyed me at RAM is the enormous waste of time dealing with 10 nurses at each station, half an hour waiting to do the vital signs, even longer to pay at check out. Also, some medicines are definitely more expensive at RAM - I imagine some others might be more expensive at BKK H, but the one I need is cheaper.

And by the way, I also love the new Sriphat out-patient extension, very efficient and cheaper.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Whenever I have something fairly important, I spend the extra money on Bangkok Hospital. It is good care, they have good doctors, and it is worth it. 

Indeed. Modern, clean facilities; abundance of speedy, efficient admin help; and great, professional medical doctors, at least those I and my wife have encountered the last two years. All the doctors we've had, besides being skilled, have taken the time to explain the situation to us, as a couple sitting in the office. No rush rush, as in a gov't hospital (if you even get an explanation, instead, a 'just do as I say.')

Of course, such professionalism comes with a price -- you don't get the best doctors in town on the cheap. But, my US military insurance (Tricare) has covered every procedure I and the wife have had at Bangkok Hospital. Even my recent cataract surgery, where I opted for the multifocal lens implant, which Medicare (which Tricare follows) says they won't pay for -- only the single focus, cheaper implant. BUT, the cost for the multi focal lens procedure at Bangkok Hospital was cheaper than the Medicare allowed cost for a single focus lens. Result: Tricare covered the entire cost for both multi focus lens implants.

And, for expensive out patient procedures, like the above, Bangkok Hospital will direct bill Tricare, charging me only a 40% deposit (fully credited back after Tricare pays the hospital). There's a Tricare rep at the hospital.

Anyway, nothing to do with urologists -- except, should I need one, on my old age descent into more and more medical issues -- nice to know Bangkok Hospital has one more area of recommended expertise.

• Thanks 1

If it's something minor then probably any of them will suffice (infection, etc.). If it's something major by all means go see a urologist in Bangkok (there are several well-known and respected urologists that are named in the health forum). They also have procedures available in Bangkok that they don't have available here.

I've had extensive experience in the urology department here and my case was incredibly mismanaged. One main problem is that most of the well-known C.M. urologists here come from a "clique" at CMU where they all teach, they travel together to conferences around the world, write papers together and so on. Basically, they all think alike. You will not get a different opinion from any of them. In fact they will not even entertain an MRI interpretation if the radiologist is not a CMU Professor in their clique. The surgeon I liked the most and who helped me the most is now the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at CMU and sadly he no longer practices and sees patients - at least for now as he is still young. Another who is named above and whom inherited all of that doctor's patients when he became fully engaged at the University, never answers questions to my satisfaction. Once he even insisted that he had no knowledge of something when he was in fact the lead author/researcher on a study of that same subject and it was a published study.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, elektrified said:

If it's something minor then probably any of them will suffice (infection, etc.). If it's something major by all means go see a urologist in Bangkok (there are several well-known and respected urologists that are named in the health forum). They also have procedures available in Bangkok that they don't have available here.

I've had extensive experience in the urology department here and my case was incredibly mismanaged. One main problem is that most of the well-known C.M. urologists here come from a "clique" at CMU where they all teach, they travel together to conferences around the world, write papers together and so on. Basically, they all think alike. You will not get a different opinion from any of them. In fact they will not even entertain an MRI interpretation if the radiologist is not a CMU Professor in their clique. The surgeon I liked the most and who helped me the most is now the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at CMU and sadly he no longer practices and sees patients - at least for now as he is still young. Another who is named above and whom inherited all of that doctor's patients when he became fully engaged at the University, never answers questions to my satisfaction. Once he even insisted that he had no knowledge of something when he was in fact the lead author/researcher on a study of that same subject and it was a published study.

The way you wrote that it sounds like both the doctors you talk about are the same 2 I mention (but not name) in my post. Still cant remember the first ones name. Wont forget second one as his name is stuck to the side of my fridge to remind me not to visit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JimGant said:

Indeed. Modern, clean facilities; abundance of speedy, efficient admin help; and great, professional medical doctors, at least those I and my wife have encountered the last two years. All the doctors we've had, besides being skilled, have taken the time to explain the situation to us, as a couple sitting in the office. No rush rush, as in a gov't hospital (if you even get an explanation, instead, a 'just do as I say.')

Of course, such professionalism comes with a price -- you don't get the best doctors in town on the cheap. But, my US military insurance (Tricare) has covered every procedure I and the wife have had at Bangkok Hospital. Even my recent cataract surgery, where I opted for the multifocal lens implant, which Medicare (which Tricare follows) says they won't pay for -- only the single focus, cheaper implant. BUT, the cost for the multi focal lens procedure at Bangkok Hospital was cheaper than the Medicare allowed cost for a single focus lens. Result: Tricare covered the entire cost for both multi focus lens implants.

And, for expensive out patient procedures, like the above, Bangkok Hospital will direct bill Tricare, charging me only a 40% deposit (fully credited back after Tricare pays the hospital). There's a Tricare rep at the hospital.

Anyway, nothing to do with urologists -- except, should I need one, on my old age descent into more and more medical issues -- nice to know Bangkok Hospital has one more area of recommended expertise.

Thanks for sharing.  You are very fortunate to have the Tricare--unfortunately, Medicare is of no help if living outside the US, even in case of an emergency while traveling--they expect one to buy travel insurance--some Medicare Advantage plans will cover one while traveling for a limited period of time, but it is not intended for living outside the US.  I sure wish it was.

2 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

The way you wrote that it sounds like both the doctors you talk about are the same 2 I mention (but not name) in my post. Still cant remember the first ones name. Wont forget second one as his name is stuck to the side of my fridge to remind me not to visit.

Please feel free to share anything with me via private message.

3 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

The first one was most likely Dr. Bannakit who is a very nice person and a kind, caring doctor who for many years was the most popular urological surgeon among male and female patients. But he is to be praised for the work he is doing now, including raising billions of Baht to rebuild and equip with modern technology the badly needed Sujinno Building at Suan Dok, and he is the International face/spokesperson of Suan Dok and CMU Faculty of Medicine.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@SammyJ

"I have come commonly across the names of Dr. Wittiwat, Dr Supon and Dr. Phitsanu Mahawong, and others, and have read a variety of reports on them and think they would all be very good doctors to see. "

I am familiar with Wittawat.

Looking for recommendations for other urologists.

"...Dr Supon and Dr. Phitsanu Mahawong, and others, and have read a variety of reports on them...".

Did you find the reports you read on this site or other sources?

Do you still have links for those reports?

Did you visit any urologists and have any report you can share - satisfied or not?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Recently i was admitted to the Ram hospital as i was in severe discomfort and could not pass urine .I checked in at 8.0 am and saw a cardiologist as a urologist was not available . Various scans and test conducted and a  catheter fitted at 3pm 

and saw the urologist at 7.30 pm . I was discharged after two days with the catheter in place for seven days.Every thing seemed fine and yesterday the catheter was removed in the OP dept and an appointment scheduled for two weeks .

When i returned to my room i was once again unable to pass urine and need to seek further advice and treatment urgently

advise please Chaing mai location

• Like 1

If you don't want to go back to RAM, Bangkok Hospital or Sriphat would be the logical choices although be aware that many  of the same doctors work at all three. Your only other option (that I can think of) is Mahraj Suan Doc which is the very large (government) District Hospital but you would need a Thai speaker to accompany you. Sriphat may be your best option, I think. Good luck

https://sriphat.med.cmu.ac.th/th/home

I case you don't know, Sriphat is located West of the moat, in the grounds of the District Hospital and CMU campus.  Here's a map page.

https://www.med.cmu.ac.th/en/service/sriphat-medical/

https://www.med.cmu.ac.th/en/contact-us/

Edited by nigelforbes

14 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I'm sorry to hear this.

I can only say that from my POV if you need a good urologist you have to fly down to BK.

I have been underwhelmed with the 5 urologists I have been treated by in CM

That has been my experience with several medical specialities here. That is not to say good ones don't exist in most fields, just that I haven't found many.

A post has been removed, please take note of the following forum rule:

7. You will not post defamatory or libelous comments. Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person or business to suffer harm or loss. A statement does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either as a drawing, picture, painting, motion picture, film, or letters made visible by any means or by broadcasting, dissemination or propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand and elsewhere in ASEAN.

Wittiwat at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai is the most widely recommended on this forum.

I am currently looking for another for a 2nd opnion on some of my issues, and was hoping to see someone else recommended in this thread, but...not yet.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies .

In a need of a medical opinion on how to proceed i went to Dr Morgan clinic unfortunately although the clinic opens 8.am the doctor was not due until 10.30 .I crossed the busy road and tried the Geriatric hospital no luck no urologist on duty today. In considerable discomfort i went back to the Ram . Quickly admitted to emergency and the catheter was replaced .New appointment 23rd.Now back in my room de stressed  and pain free for now .What awaits i wonder.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1