Four people injured, three seriously including a pregnant woman and high school girl, after two motorbikes collide in Chonburi

webfact

rSoDAML39fiv2h48_153947-696x391.jpg

PHOTO: Wisarn Sangjaroen / Top News

By Goong Nang(GN)

Chonburi – Four people have sustained injuries, three of them severe injuries, including a pregnant woman and a high school girl, after a two motorbike collision in Mueang Chonburi.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident on Sukhumvit Road at a U-turn in the Nong Maidang sub-district yesterday, March 11th, 2022 in the mid-afternoon.

They arrived at the scene to find four injured people in total. Three of them had sustained severe injuries which were a pregnant woman, a high school girl wearing a school uniform, and a 20-year-old- woman. All three were riding on the same motorbike. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/03/12/four-people-injured-three-seriously-including-a-pregnant-woman-and-high-school-girl-after-two-motorbikes-collide-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-03-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I'm trying to educate my Mrs. A solid white line at a junction means STOP. If riding a moto you must place at least one foot upon the ground. She says (quite rightly) "If people did that the driver/rider behind would crash into you". I've given up.

Thats a road law from the USA where drivers have to stop at a stop sign (white line). 

In other areas (such as the UK) drivers do not have to stop at a stop sign (white line), the driver / rider can roll through without stopping if the junction is clear. 

The Thai Land Traffic act most closely resembles the British Highway code, it basically copies the British highway code. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats a road law from the USA where drivers have to stop at a stop sign (white line). 

In other areas (such as the UK) drivers do not have to stop at a stop sign (white line), the driver / rider can roll through without stopping if the junction is clear. 

The Thai Land Traffic act most closely resembles the British Highway code, it basically copies the British highway code. 

Thanks for that! Some years ago (in Wales) my cousin riding his MZ was prosecuted for failing to stop at a STOP sign. He wrote in disputing that in the direction he was turning he had an unobstructed view of the major road, therefore the junction should be a GIVE WAY only. The response he received was that the view whilst turning in the other direction was more restricted and, as you can't have a GIVE WAY for one direction and a STOP for the other he was guilty of 'failing to conform to a lawfully erected traffic sign'.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

In our town the authorities have recently changed four junctions into four crossroads.......it is mayhem.

The Thais approach the crossroads in one of two ways.........very slowly with no clue as to who has right of way..........or at breakneck speed on the assumption they automatically have right of way.......it really is scary to watch.

Where is that, I'll bring pop-corn, sounds great.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

I'm trying to educate my Mrs. A solid white line at a junction means STOP. If riding a moto you must place at least one foot upon the ground. She says (quite rightly) "If people did that the driver/rider behind would crash into you". I've given up.

Sad thing is...she is dead right......your best hope is for a blast on the horn, a revving engine and maybe round or two fired out of a side window....555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

UK roads:

It is not necessary to always fully stop at a T junction (unless there is a STOP sign of course), as if the road is clear you can carefully join the new road without stopping.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Where is that, I'll bring pop-corn, sounds great.

Hahaha.....Nong Bua Daeng. One of the cross roads has a little 'restaurant' on the corner.

We often sit there and watch.......but it is now becoming quite stressful .....555

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Apologies, I was incorrect....   

The UK does have STOP signs with a fixed white line where the driver rider has to stop. 

The Give Way sign is far more common in the UK where the driver does not have to stop, he simply has to give way to other traffic if there is any.

One of the first thins one misses driving in Thailand, road markings that tell you how you should react or drive. Also one of the first things one needs to forget ... road markings have mostly faded away and are also ignored, lanes are straddled and crossed at will. 

• Like 1

Be honest , road markings are not really understood by many here. 

Even the " educated " ones who map the markings out do not understand them.

We have broken lines in the centre of a road on blind bends , crest of hills.

Solid lines where the visibility is good in both directions.

We have a T junction near our house , and bikes approaching never stop , they just coast onto the hard verge into on coming traffic until it is clear.

• Like 2

Credit where it's due though, HGV drivers generally 'play the game'. They drive in the left hand lane and, after overtaking, quickly move back into the left lane but without 'cutting in'. Some are especially safety conscious IMHO using their hazzard lights when braking for traffic lights after a long fast run on a dual carriageway.  Using their left turn indicator to tell you it's safe to overtake and right when a motorist appears to be attempting an overtake when it isn't is a nice touch too. However, I'm sure this wasn't mentioned when I learned to drive in the UK fifty years ago.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Credit where it's due though, HGV drivers generally 'play the game'. They drive in the left hand lane and, after overtaking, quickly move back into the left lane but without 'cutting in'. Some are especially safety conscious IMHO using their hazzard lights when braking for traffic lights after a long fast run on a dual carriageway.  Using their left turn indicator to tell you it's safe to overtake and right when a motorist appears to be attempting an overtake when it isn't is a nice touch too. However, I'm sure this wasn't mentioned when I learned to drive in the UK fifty years ago.  

I have found truck drivers here relatively good compared to car drivers, on Koh Chang the cement trucks manage to stay on the left on those terrible bendy 'mountain' roads, whereas little honda jazz will cut every corner.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

Whats wearing a school iniform got to do with anything?

Well, obviously she was on the way to school to be educated about the ways in Thailand, that no matter how often someone 'wai's' in respect towards someone else, no matter how often someone says "Kha", no matter how often someone says "Kha Phohm", in respect towards someone else, it will be no match against the will to go as fast as a vehicle can go, that the notion of "respect" towards others will be forgotten.  And educated on the fact that anyone can get killed on the roads here, shortly after a driver just presented a  "wai" and a "Khap", and sat on a motorbike or behind the wheel of a pick-up truck, and got in their usual rush.

Beware (The Ides of March)

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Grusa said:

I have noticed that Indigenous motosai riders will do anything, absolutely anything, to avoid having to put a foot on the ground. They will weave, wobble, divert unpredictably, and nearly fall off rather than put down a foot to save themselves.

The other thing they don't know is left foot down so they can hold the bike on the brake with the footbrake.

They have never been taught properly how to drive.

Similar to how they never look over their shoulder in the opposite direction when turning and never look over their shoulder before moving from a standing start.

Just watching them it is obvious to a properly trained bike rider that they cannot ride properly.